Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Would you say Daniel Krawisz is a maximalist?
You don't have to ask me, you can just ask him. I he's got a different definition of maximalist, then that's his beer, isn't it?

My definition of "maximalist" is quite simple, based on what I've observed how people who call themselves maximalists over the years behave:

A maximalist believes that Bitcoin will conquer all "altcoins" (or as some call them "shitcoins") in the entire cryptocurrency sphere, dominating market share if not 100%, then probably very close to that (I would say at least 95%), bringing about basically a single dominant world currency that is somehow supposed to still reflect Bitcoin's design.

Most maximalists seem to believe Bitcoin (their preferred flavor) will be able to do so either in some form of "frozen" protocol state, and all of them seem to believe the end result will still be called Bitcoin.

Most of them believe in their vision religiously (causing them to badmouth other cryptos) in the way we are accustomed to from monotheists.
Some of them will seek to launch crusades against all other cryptos.
Maximalists are not confined to Bitcoin. Other cryptocurrencies have their own maximalists.Those who don't believe me should visit some of the other crypto subs sometimes to check.

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
That's fake news. Some of us even went "Bagatell berserk".
I know. AFAICS it's everyone's personal decision.

To me there is no more maximalist position than selling all your coins from divergent fork branches that you no longer believe in and re-invest them fully in that branch which you now believe in.

As I said, I don't think it's a sound investment strategy. The CSW camp describes this as "gambling", and I agree with that statement -- unless you happen to know the future and are able to thus make the right call every time. I don't know anyone like that.

But there is no denying that such a position is more "maximalist" than an indexed one.

I'll raise my glass to the successful ultramaximalists in ten years time.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
so your answer is to fork BCH from BTC, then step away from devving/supporting it and to flip flop in public your opinions of it's current lead dev Amaury?

Reactions: AdrianX and Norway

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Aww @cypherdoc, so cute, trying to drive a wedge in where you can't. Don't bust yourself trying.

I spend my time working on things you can't see yet. Is that a problem for you?
[doublepost=1543346543][/doublepost]In other news, BSV seems to have real problems clearing its mempool. Miners' choice, I guess.

Businesses should take a look at what's going on there - it doesn't bode well.

Reactions: throwaway

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
I know. AFAICS it's everyone's personal decision.
Then why do you slander us as dumb parrots when you 'know' that it was not only 'our full Norway'?

To me there is no more maximalist position than selling all your coins from divergent fork branches that you no longer believe in and re-invest them fully in that branch which you now believe in.
You said: "No kings, no masters". How much do you support that ideal? Minimal as a minimalist pseudo anarchist, as long as you are using fiat?

I'll raise my glass to the successful ultramaximalists in ten years time.
Cheers!

Reactions: Norway

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@freetrader

dude, stop with the strawman. i just asked you a couple of simple questions; difficult one's yes b/c your actions haven't matched up with your rhetoric. you asked me a similar one, i answered. instead of dodging my questions, give us a simple clear answer that makes some sense.
[doublepost=1543346843][/doublepost]if you really believe so much in ABC as your trolling indicates, why didn't you stick around with a project you significantly help fork to help out? why let Amaury take all the credit? i've asked you in the past pointedly of your opinion on Amaury. you initially said you supported him, then i see you slandering him on reddit. now you're back to supporting him. your actions don't add up.

Reactions: AdrianX and Norway

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Oh for fucks sake. First I'm Free Trade , now I'm freework, .... do I need to write another blog post how that's not me?

Get it in your head please - if you suspect that someone is me, ask them, and if they say yes, ask them to sign with my BU signing key to prove it. Simple fucking procedure, even Satoshi would be able to do it.

And if they can't sign, then there is exactly 100% chance that they lied to you, and 0% chance that they're me.

And if you want to know my opinion, "freework" is very much ideologically aligned with SV at this time, and therefore I would not be surprised to see him slander ABC devs, although I'm not saying he did (not worth my time right now to go through his post history).
[doublepost=1543347673][/doublepost]@cypherdoc, it seems like you're really trying hard to get on my "Ignore" list on this forum.

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
hmm, the rhetoric is strikingly similar. but ok, i'll believe you.

i'll promise to concentrate on just the bullshit you spew here in this thread. Ignore me if you will.

i still would like answers to my above questions about ABC and Amaury.

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
i'll promise to concentrate on just the bullshit you spew here in this thread.
That's fine.

As for Amaury and ABC - I've already told you I'm spending my time as I think it's most effective. They're more than capable as a team over there, and I have other things I want to build. Which are still none of your business right now.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
coincidence?

My view is that these latest changes were done a bit hastily - I can understand the reason they might be seen as necessary by the miners, and I hope they give the desired space to defend the chain, but it will be wise to put them on a list of things to deactivate by default once the threat has passed (e.g. once BCH has > 50% total SHA256 hashrate).

https://bitco.in/forum/threads/gold-collapsing-bitcoin-up.16/page-1307#post-84846

Reactions: 8up

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
coincidence?
To the extent you imagine it isn't - yes, it is. I believe there are many people who hold that opinion within the developer community.

Notice that my viewpoint is not "they [checkpoints] should be removed once the drama blows over".

The drama will never blow over. Unlike 'freework', I don't believe in reaching an agreement with nChain/Coingeek. They played their hand.

What might blow over is this condition that BCH has severe minority hashrate compared to BTC. And if that flips, BCH is in a much better position for getting rid of wartime defensive quasi-softfork code and also implementing better governance, e.g. BIP135.

IOW, get rid of the floating checkpoints once the threat is really gone. Or just deactivate them. They won't be needed but it's not a bad setting to have in case of attack.

I think future attacks will result in more such defensive code, until there are no more threats.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
ok, now i understand why SV didn't/couldn't try to snuff out the ABC chain. moral hazard might have won the day but won't the war. centralization like that will never win:

[doublepost=1543349274,1543348651][/doublepost]@solex @Peter R @theZerg

BU faces a tough decision. are you going to implement rolling 10 block checkpoints to stay compatible with ABC? as unwriter states, if a chain split can be exploited, one day it will.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
The problem with revolutions, is after the war is over, you're left with a bunch of bored revolutionaries.
You're likely to find that you may have had different reasons for revolting too. Suddenly your comrades-in-arms are your mortal enemies (see the French revolution).

Reactions: 8up

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
another Bitcoin business making a rational choice; despite what one thinks about limitless shitcoins:

Our store was built on top of a single cryptocurrency, what we believed the true Bitcoin, but now there are two versions of that. There cannot be two Bitcoins, we have to chose one. The one which will stay unchanged every few months. We cannot afford to splitting to dozens of coins if we want a single global peer to peer electronic cash. There can be only one. So again we have to make a choice and this should be the last time we have to make this choice.

https://gifter.cash/our-way-forward-after-the-bitcoin-cash-hardfork/

Reactions: torusJKL and Norway