Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

hodl

Feb 13, 2017
@hodl I suspect $100k+ is coming fairly soon, but can't remember which post that was as I've been calling for that since 2013 :)
if you're referring to BCH, i would agree.

Wrote that post on a plane ride where I had no internet so it is more carefully crafted and has a bit of that aged-in-an-oak-cask feel, haha. My favorite bit, which I think is a message that can go far:

"Instead of the Fed creating holder-dilution coin backed by its own authority position and that coin temporarily pumping higher than Bitcoin and temporarily taking on the Bitcoin name, Core has created holder-dilution coin backed by its own authority position and that coin has temporarily pumped higher than Bitcoin and temporarily taken on the Bitcoin name."
it was a great post. ty.

(By the way, for inline images paste the imgur link into the box that comes up when you click the image icon in the posting window.)
my problem is more on the Android side as in there doesn't appear to be an efficient app to use. Imgur make you go thru too many steps to get the image link and then it doesn't display as a Preview after pasting in the Image URL (which is probably a problem with either this site or Android format).

also, is there a tool button on this site that allows an upload of a stored phone image? not that i want to store all these images but this is also a relic of the Android editing apps that force you to save your image markups before uploading to Imgur. arghh.
[doublepost=1515604838][/doublepost]y'all gonna have RCH's, BCH's!:

Last edited:

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
@awemany
bitcoin mining tends towards perfect competition. because of contingent factors, chinese miners have enjoyed cheaper-than-average electricity, which has given them a competitive advantage. on the other hand, they operate subject to a tighter-than-average regulatory regime, which gives them a competitive disadvantage. this was known in advance. how big of a disadvantage, we will eventually find out.
As we all know mining has been far from perfect competition for a while now since mining quickly migrated to locations that benefited from artificial subsidies. China is the largest source but there are many other governments that provide artificially cheep electricity as well.

As crypto currencies grow however, I think we are starting to see they are negatively impacting these subsidies by noticeably draining resources from governments or even exceeding their supply. For example Venezuela which has a shortage of electricity started to crack down on mining because they barely have enough to provide for most people. China has enough capacity so this hasn't been an issue (yet) but it likely will be an issue in time as Bitcoin grows.

Mining today is also simply a transfer of money from subsidy providing governments to individuals. This will not continue long term. In China mining probably has been small enough to survive by bribing local government officials, but this can only scale so far. In Canada there was an article recently on how new hydro power that was meant to attract new data centers instead was consumed by mining. New data centers bring jobs and benefits to the local community, mining however has no local benefits and is just a pass through of wealth. This can't go on.

At some point governments will likely question why they are providing subsidies to mining at all, and why wouldn't they keep this profit generation potential for themselves. First I think we will see more and more crack down on using subsidies for mining, for example as in Venezuela.

But the interesting question is will (or how long it will be till) governments realize they can mine themselves to raise revenue. If Quebec has a new hydro plan with cheap electricity, instead of attracting data centers for tax revenue, they could simply mine themselves and raise significantly more revenue. Qatar instead of selling natural gas for very low prices into a depressed energy market, could instead use that natural gas to mine themselves and not bother with exporting at lower values. When crypto currencies pass several trillion dollars, these become likely options we will see.

But even this is just governments taking advantage of their resources. Longer term crypto currencies will drive massive competition to invent new sources of the lowest cost electricity. This is highly beneficial overall and this will also be a more perfect form of competition. Mining in these initial phases has simply leached off of government subsidies (which is highly ironic considering Bitcoin's libertarian purpose), but as crypto currencies grow mining will either exceed the supply of artificial subsidies or the artificial subsidies will be taken away, and as a result should trend towards being more competitive and more focused on developing competitive advantage through better power generation.

hodl

Feb 13, 2017
"According to the report, the rumor first emerged through a photo on the WeChat messaging platform that purportedly showed Guo Hongcai, a notable and active investor in the bitcoin industry in China, claiming there would be a ban. Guo later said that this image was fake through his WeChat account."

https://www.coindesk.com/report-pboc-quashes-rumor-it-would-shutter-chinas-bitcoin-mines/
[doublepost=1515608603][/doublepost]i seriously doubt Chinese mining is in trouble. gvts are about making money to sustain their activities. and if there is one thing we know for sure, it is that the Chinese gvt is corrupt and the willingness to accept bribes and fees is significant. Bitcoin mining generates a huge amount of income with plenty to share with these same officials. there is no way, imo, that they will chase the future of global money generation away from it's shores. what an opportunity.
[doublepost=1515608793][/doublepost]if anything, the gvt effort to track down and identify all the mining facilities within it's borders is more likely an attempt to make sure they get their cut.
[doublepost=1515609561,1515608408][/doublepost]
But the interesting question is will (or how long it will be till) governments realize they can mine themselves to raise revenue.
Chinese are pretty efficient & practical. why would gvt go thru all the trouble to shut down private miners and then have to setup their own facilities? why not just map out all existing private enterprises within their borders and then go thru the front door and coerce a % payout? yes, this isn't ideal (or is ideal depending on how you look at it) but this model will be pretty unique to a communist regime. the ancillary hope being that mining worldwide, not encumbered by this corruption, will proliferate and prosper in competition. this is, afterall, why we want to see worldwide adoption amongst ordinary citizens; to help drive a more decentralized worldwide mining to support that grassroots demand. otoh, Chinese miners should not fear this mining decentralization; the price will moon if this happens making them RCH.

Last edited:

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
But the interesting question is will (or how long it will be till) governments realize they can mine themselves to raise revenue.
for obvious reasons, only governments can run nuclear reactors. most of the reactors currently in operation were designed so that bomb-grade material (e.g. plutonium) was generated as a by-product of the fuel cycle. because of non-proliferation, it is no longer necessary to generate weapons-grade isotopes, there is enough of that stuff to blow the earth up several times over. on the other hand, there is a lot of nuclear waste lying around that never did manage to get buried under several km3 of sand and rock. so new reactors will run on fuel cycles that are able to sustain fusion using extant nuclear waste / other abundant radioactive elements. this is fact, the physics are known. the safety is being worked on (new generation reactors will be fail-safe, no core meltdown can possibly occur). what lags is the funding. to think the operation could pay for itself . . .

yet i don't see the USG mining bitcoin -- it will mine crypto-USD first (though mining may not be required for such an asset at all). russia? hard to see them pouring resources into something they can't control, even if they would be making revenue and revamping their power grid as a result. geopolitically, though, i think it makes more sense for them to back up stateless crypto than to set up a crypto-ruble. anyway, they can do both.

Last edited:

Dusty

Mar 14, 2016
unfortunately (for Xapo), they are unlikely to make such a quick pivot after selling off all their investors BCH (stupid).
Yes, I know.
This is why I think that if xapo is able to change his mind, it means the flippening is almost certain.
Also, it has (had, since his card are now useless all over the europe) the best service out there: for most of people the best possible way to use bitcoins because you can keep them until the very moment you need to spend it (converting from btc to fiat on the spot).

satoshis_sockpuppet

Feb 22, 2016
@Mengerian

Awesome lineup for the conference so far, you guys rock! (Any chance that Gavin will be there as well? :) )

If any of you guys have some coins beside BCH, seems like it's urgent to start selling. This bubble should be close to the end... Some German "rap stars" made a completely retarded and very, very cringeworthy song promoting "hodling" and so on...

I'm in physical pain after listening to this. If you know German, be warned. This hurts. And it's a signal to move even more from BTC to BCH.

This won't end well for so many idiots.

Btw, great that we now have a German "blockchain expert" with "Dr. Julian Hosp". lol

No more internet for today.

hodl

Feb 13, 2017
you can see that this move has only just begun after a long sideways consolidation. we should clear 3000 easily, BCH's:

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Wright is getting steadily more cogent as a speaker now that he's been hitting the gym. His best interview yet is this one recorded in late December:

Skip to around the 10 min mark, or 14:30 for the more specifically Bitcoin-relevant content. Topics covered from a novel angle include:

- European history and corporate tendencies relating to how BTC fell into error
- objections to the re-enabling of opcodes
- network topology
- why only BCH lets you do SABB (spend and buy back)
- Bitcoin's effect on banking
- Bitcoin for developing countries, actual conditions on the ground
- why BTC cannot be a settlement system
- problems with P2SH, the first concession to what would become the Blockstream business model
- why LN gets the network model completely wrong
- why most fees should always be negligible (spam control vs. flood control)
- why mining is the only (proximal*) governance power and therefore the only one that needs to be decentralized
- why validating your own transactions (other than seeing that their confs are backed by the most work) is meaningless in an economic system
- threshold blinding for trustless exchanges
- debunking the Market for Lemons thesis
- a few other points I've been harping on on reddit but may not have mentioned here

*investors and other stakeholders are the non-proximal governance powers

Last edited:

hodl

Feb 13, 2017
WTH? why did this suddenly happen to my reddit account? anyone else getting this error?:

NewLiberty

Aug 28, 2015
for obvious reasons, only governments can run nuclear reactors. most of the reactors currently in operation were designed so that bomb-grade material (e.g. plutonium) was generated as a by-product of the fuel cycle. because of non-proliferation, it is no longer necessary to generate weapons-grade isotopes, there is enough of that stuff to blow the earth up several times over. on the other hand, there is a lot of nuclear waste lying around that never did manage to get buried under several km3 of sand and rock. so new reactors will run on fuel cycles that are able to sustain fusion using extant nuclear waste / other abundant radioactive elements. this is fact, the physics are known. the safety is being worked on (new generation reactors will be fail-safe, no core meltdown can possibly occur). what lags is the funding. to think the operation could pay for itself . . .

yet i don't see the USG mining bitcoin -- it will mine crypto-USD first (though mining may not be required for such an asset at all). russia? hard to see them pouring resources into something they can't control, even if they would be making revenue and revamping their power grid as a result. geopolitically, though, i think it makes more sense for them to back up stateless crypto than to set up a crypto-ruble. anyway, they can do both.
USD$20B is the number. Am saving up. Would go faster with partners. ;)

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015

Will nuclear be able to compete with solar?

Tony Seba: "By 2030, all energy on earth will come from solar"

Tomothy

Mar 14, 2016
Am looking forward to seeing Counterparty on BCH.
It will not just be the new ICO platform, but a whole lot more because BCH won't try to block it by shortening OP_Return in the interests of proprietary "Elements" projects from Blockstream, but will let it compete on its own merit.
Has OP_Return been re-enabled already or is this something we are waiting on in the near to distant future?

Also, I think the China Mining news has merit.

Reactions: Norway and sickpig