Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

throwaway

Aug 28, 2015
Now that the Cash hardfork has been defined and is coming soon, can somebody tell the ABC devs to start putting signed hashes for the binaries on the website?
freetrader's blog had signatures for 0.14.6 and I think that might be why there are still more 0.14.6 nodes on the network than later ABC clients; I've never been able to find signatures for later versions anywhere.

@deadalnix @freetrader

albin

Nov 8, 2015
Showerthought:

How about creating a double spend register?
AFAIK, a double spent transaction is not registered anywhere today. It would be nice to be able to prove that you "got double spent" in a court or to other parties if this should happen. This would also strengthen 0-conf transactions.

What do you think, guys?
I think you would need something like weak blocks to do this, because you need a way to reach consensus on whether one of the transactions happened (which you can't do with just the mempool), and then submitting the other conflicting one as proof, then turn that into some kind of commitment, like notarizing the record.

Edit:

Alternatively maybe anybody can take the raw tx's and notarize their hashes in the blockchain, then have a client that interprets those records as a metalayer protocol? Assuming that the ability to produce your own double spends that you never broadcast isn't an attack on this idea?

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
How about creating a double spend register?
AFAIK, a double spent transaction is not registered anywhere today. It would be nice to be able to prove that you "got double spent" in a court or to other parties if this should happen. This would also strengthen 0-conf transactions.
Anybody who wants to prove that a payer tried to defraud them would merely need a client that records conflicting transaction.

You don't need a dedicated ledger or protocol change to do this.

Erik Beijnoff

May 30, 2017
Considering that the announcement as it seems was pushed unilaterally by Amaury Sechét to boost his ego and promote his sub-optimal solution, I am hoping not.

But, it's up to the miners.

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
any arguments why it is sub-optimal?

EDIT: and is it really imperative that the EDA be addressed before the SW2X fork? i can see why this might be desirable, but the priority by far has to be to get it right, and in lockstep.

Last edited:
Reactions: majamalu

Windowly

Dec 10, 2015
It seems some of the communication problems is Tom's fault, at least from this post on reddit.

Although I generally agree keeping important communication off slack and in places that are publicly accessible is a good idea. It was great how different developers were publishing proposals on medium and Yours.org.

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
Sure most of you have seen this already, but leaving a link here for the record.

@theZerg Fantastically well written, BU is lucky to have such a calm and reasoned lead.

https://medium.com/@g.andrew.stone/tail-removal-block-validation-ae26fb436524

"In English, I’m proposing that miners mine for 20 minutes at the network difficulty, and then we ramp the difficulty down from its current value to 1 across the next 20 minutes."

At first the idea seemed radical, but It quickly grew on me. The EDA problem is a tricky one. How do you dynamically manage something that is so noisy and probabilistic in nature, especially as miners can come and go at any time, for benevolent, hostile, or simple profit driven motives. In the analogue world of mining this profit hopping is called High Grading; hit only the sweet spots of ore and leave the rest till later. It might boost the individual miners monthly bonus, but the concession owners hate it, as it's not in the interest of the long term viability of the project.

This solution seems simple and elegant, instead of trying to solve the unsolvable, just change the rules, and add a cutoff (a little like a penalty shoot out in football). Adding it in time for Nov 13 feels hasty, but maybe i've got used to BSCore stalling tactics? Does limiting the maximum block discovery time to 40 mins have any significant effects on the overall coin issuance schedule? I get nervous when I see the economic properties being tweaked.

Having 2 and maybe even 3 chains competing for hashpower is inherently unstable, and tbh I was hoping that one chain would just win out and the rest would die. Life would be so much simpler if the Segshitheads had been willing to compromise one iota.

Still even if we get back to only one chain, bitcoin cash ftw. fixing EDA seems like something that is needed for long term viability anyway? Massive solar flares, government intervention or an EMP will one day be a serious problem.

Last edited:

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
https://medium.com/@g.andrew.stone/tail-removal-block-validation-ae26fb436524
  1. The block’s timestamp is less than or equal to the current time, and greater than the prior block. Currently, a block is valid if it is up to two hours into the future. So this requirement proposes that we reduce that requirement to be the current time. This is not strictly necessary, but it will keep the time reported in the blockchain honest)
  2. The POW exceeds the block difficulty, and the block difficulty matches the current network difficulty (today’s algorithm) OR
  3. The current block’s timestamp — prior block’s timestamp > 1200 (20 minutes) and the POW exceeds the “effective difficulty”.
The effective difficulty is calculated by:

deltaT = block’s timestamp — prior block’s timestampdecline = difficulty/1200effective difficulty = max(1, difficulty — (deltaT — 1200)*decline)
“Effective Work” is of course directly calculable from the effective difficulty.

4. At a particular time T, the active chain is the chain with the most effective work for all blocks whose timestamp is ≤ T.
I don't think i like it... maybe i dont get it but, i see nothing about raising difficultly when a ton of hash power comes on all of a sudden.

I think we need to stop trying to "patch" the original dif-algo, and do something completely different.

like... take the avg time between the last 6 blocks, and adjust difficultly up or down, do this after every single block.

miners fallowing profitability will be mining BCH on and off every few blocks, we users wont really feel it. Profitability, dif and block times, will be going up and down like a yo-yo but in a very narrow range and i bet avg block times long term would probably be 10mins.

bottom line is the original dif algo is GARBAGE, throw it out! and think out side the block

Last edited:

Tom Zander

Jun 2, 2016
It seems some of the communication problems is Tom's fault, at least from this post on reddit.

Although I generally agree keeping important communication off slack and in places that are publicly accessible is a good idea. It was great how different developers were publishing proposals on medium and Yours.org.
People trying to blame me are misunderstanding the point. This isn't about me. I don't care about which algo is chosen. In this case I'm just the first one that sticks his neck out when I see someone doing bad stuff.

Releasing news of a hard fork two weeks before the actual hard fork means there can be zero peer-review. It also means that other software doesn't have time to release a compatible client as miners etc will expect two weeks testing time.
So the question to ask is why is the first time we hear about a) the hard fork time and b) the actually picked algorithm, the date when we have no opportunity to do due diligence.

ps. He didn't get banned from a place where anything is happening, that slack has effectively been dead for a year. Being annoyed of being "banned" there is silly.
[doublepost=1509478294][/doublepost]For those interested in the whole difficulty adjustment stuff and not happy reading rows of numbers output from a python app, I wrote a simulator in Qt, with pretty graphics. I got a pull request from someone last night that added all the new algorithms so you can play with them.

See my github repo here; https://github.com/zander/difficultySim
Requires Qt to compile.

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
news of a hard fork two weeks before the actual hard fork means there can be zero peer-review
there has already been peer-review nchain and that other guy reviewed all the proposals. with a working implementation and some peer review out of the way, 2 weeks might be tight, but should be doable, one would think all one need to do is copy past a few lines of code here, and delete a few there, no?

i think the idea behind 2 week time-frame is to push the idea that we're no longer considering options, we've committed to a plan of action and now is the time to execute that plan.

Reactions: throwaway

jbreher

Dec 31, 2015
> "i think the idea behind 2 week time-frame is to push the idea that we're no longer considering options, we've committed to a plan of action and now is the time to execute that plan."

I'm sure that's exactly the idea behind it. The problem I have is that the pronoun "we' in your above postulate is a self-selected, exclusionary set.

I'll choke it down if it takes off, but it's gonna leave a bad taste in my mouth.

All y'all realize this course of unilateral action increases the chance of splitting what is now a decent BCH community in two possibly never to be relevant forks, right?

Lastly, I get that Bitcoin Cash is not BU. But BU has a process governed by a constitution. What is the proper course of action here for BU? If we can rubber-stamp an unpalatable decision, that is one thing. But if not, it may be that the constitution is dead.

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
I proposed the following this morning on r/btc, got zero traction:

in the present sensitive and time-constrained situation it seems what would help most is to incentivize the different teams that already have concrete difficulty adjustment proposals to jointly choose one among them and merge it across all clients. One way to do this might be: (1) publish a list of algorithms currently on the table, and their proponents, ASAP; (2) create a BCH reward pool, the larger the better; (3) money in the pool will be distributed equally among teams/devs on the list iff they all agree on a single adjustment algorithm, test it, implement it and merge it by nov. 13; (4) logistic details (escrow, etc.) to be worked out but fundamentally simple. I would readily pledge 1 BCH towards such a scheme.
meanwhile, ABC published version 0.16. i bet jonny2000 is having a good laugh.

Reactions: majamalu

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
I have an Android wallet based on bitcoincashj so I'll need to assign a programmer to implement this new DAA in order for our wallet to keep working 14 days from now.

Where's the document describing the algorithm I should point him at?

Outside a tiny group of people with their own pet algorithms they want to use, nobody else really cares which one gets implemented. However sufficient details to actually implement whatever one is being used would be appreciated.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Now that the Cash hardfork has been defined and is coming soon, can somebody tell the ABC devs to start putting signed hashes for the binaries on the website?
freetrader's blog had signatures for 0.14.6 and I think that might be why there are still more 0.14.6 nodes on the network than later ABC clients; I've never been able to find signatures for later versions anywhere.

@deadalnix @freetrader
Link to signature for hashes of Linux + OSX from my gitian build, checked against Amaury's build:

https://ftrader.github.io/posts/bitcoin_abc/20171101-bitcoin-abc-0007-1.html

I agree with you that it would be a good idea to put signed hashes up in the download area. I've mentioned that to the project before.
Currently we just publish them in various places like blogs or this forum, and link to them in formal release announcements.

Last edited:
Reactions: throwaway

Erik Beijnoff

May 30, 2017
Extract from a Slack chat log.

After the last two days events it's pretty evident to me that Amaury Séchet is a liability for Bitcoin Cash. If he stays around in the influential position he is in now, the only sane action for me is to gradually remove my exposure to the system.

Details below. Some names have been blanked out for privacy reasons.

----- October 31st, 2017 -----

user1 [11:03 PM]
Hi @deadalnix since you're online... can you provide @erik.beijnoff and others some context as to why the EDA change must be urgently deployed _before_ 2X forks? What's wrong with two weeks later, so the community has more time to test the various algorithms, code review and get a binary release ready? What's driving the timeline? Thanks.

---------------
deadalnix [11:12 PM]
Nobody was exited about solving the issue for 3 month. Without a date set, nobody would be taking care of the issue today.
Really, there is only one cure for what we are seeing here, it's called anticipation.

---------------
user2 [11:13 PM]
But that doesn't really explain why not 5 days later?
Why before 2x, and not after?

---------------
deadalnix [11:14 PM]
Because nobody has any clue what's going to happen with 2x, and EDA only adds to the incertitude
anyway, got to unplug, it's getting late here.

---------------
erik.beijnoff [11:39 PM]
This is a heap of crap coming from someone sacrificing network health to be able to keep a position of control.

The real reason is that Séchet saw that general alignment on a proper solution were two days away.
It's not a coincidence that the press release came when it did. Final alignment was at the same time
happening on the bitcoin-ml list.

This is underhanded tactics and I can only consider Séchet and ABC compromised as long as he is in control there.

Furthermore, I can only assume that this is due to that he has a direct but obscured relation to one or several miners. This makes him subordinated to them and a systemic danger. This is also not the first time we are getting indications of this type of hidden agenda from his side.

Actively staying away from open discussion and putting the network in front of a fait accompli with no possibility to change the forced decision is all part of a very deliberate system manipulation.

Saying that no one was addressing the shortcomings of the current DAA is also a blatant lie. There were lively and well-informed discussions going on.

May I also remind of who implemented the EDA, ignoring warnings about the risks of the asymmetrical properties of it?
The EDA was, by the way, forced in a similar manner. This seems to be turning into a modus operandi of Séchet. One that I'm not particularly comfortable with.

---------------
solex [6:21 AM]
This is really not an issue for people to fall out over. It was known from the first week that the Bitcoin Cash EDA would have to be improved in the short term. The perfect should not be the enemy of the good. Any of the proposed DAAs which retarget per block, and in two directions, will suffice until the next scheduled HF. If what is being used needs refining then it can be done at that time.

There are many other improvements for Cash which have been mentioned already on the ML. Let those be hammered out in a collegiate fashion across all involved developers. A lesson can be learnt from the less than ideal handling of the DAA. For the sake of preserving momentum and public solidarity for Cash, it is best to press on. The next major development issue will be a much better indicator about whether decentralised development has a prospect of functioning how we would hope.
@erik.beijnoff Any BU member is welcome to submit a BUIP about taking a different approach than the default of adopting the DAA used by the majority of the Cash network. However, all development BUIPs need 14 days for member feedback and consultation _after_ the BU Lead Developer opens it for such feedback. A BUIP will be too late to pre-empt the announced HF date and would need to apply to the BU implementation retrospectively. The next vote is late-Nov / early-Dec. However, I do doubt that a BUIP to reject the functional DAA would get many "for" votes.

---------------
erik.beijnoff [7:57 AM]
@solex thanks for the feedback. I am of course not arguing that BU should rail off in a direction that no one else in the network supports. But there is a difference in just submitting beforehand to a hostile subversion attempt, which this is, or accepting that the network did get subverted.

Currently this is just a proposal from a network client gone rogue. I'm assuming that this change has been ordered by one or several miners. The ramifications of just accepting that type of hidden deals carte blanche are pretty grave. Until it is clear that the network do change in this direction, I definitely think that no action should be taken from the side of BU.

What Séchet is doing here is using network value as a trading tool to stay in a position of control. Worst case scenario the network splits in two and fades into obscurity. Best case scenario it has just been proven that the whole network is being used as a bargaining tool for purposes external to it.

What I wrote above applies equally to the algo chosen and the forced hard fork date. None of these are chosen because they suit Cash the best, but for purposes external to the network. This is a huge value drain, it clearly proves that the network is being controlled.

If the relation between Séchet and the miners had been declared in the open, it would be a completely different matter. Then investors and other participants could deem if this is a desirable trait or not and act accordingly. The current situation equates to a severely manipulated market and a corrupted network.

My faith in the Cash experiment is severely damaged. I'm going to reduce my investment in it to a large extent until it can be shown that Séchet, who only can be considered an agent of unknown forces, does not hold influence over it anymore.

---------------
solex [8:27 AM]
I think your perspective is understandable, but at the same time is overstated. A new network is not going to gain traction without some level of co-operative dialogue between developers and miners to bootstrap it, in the face of an already large network effect. Until difficulty is fixed this is still a bootstrap phase. At times the Cash chain is <50% profitable as the segwit chain. Miners who mine at a loss in that scenario are definitely looking to an improved future state.
The Cash chain is 7571 blocks ahead of the segwit chain. Aren't you more concerned that this is amounting to a pre-mine? If the EDA remains then this block count will only keep growing and the coin price will spiral downward. Once a better DAA is in place it should reduce the scope for manipulation.
Unwisely a HF was announced before the new DAA was agreed by all parties. This is the error. Time has run out and either confusion and loss of face occurs by backtracking on a HF date, or the debate on the DAA is drawn to a conclusion so that binaries can be built. (edit typos). (edited)

---------------
erik.beijnoff [8:32 AM]
This is not co-operative dialogue with miners. This is one party, Séchet, using every network participants value as a bargaining tool. Put it frankly, it’s a smash-and-grab. I was also clear with that if this co-operation had been done in a public way, it would have been a completely different ballgame. A public statement saying what the relation looks like would have been enough.

I'm getting pretty damn tired of developers who are clearly not up to the task, neither with regards to skills, nor ethics, are playing scheming games with other people's money. Currently there only seems to be one developer of that kind in Cash. There where quite a few more in BTC.

---------------
solex [8:39 AM]
I certainly think this could have been done a lot better, but "smash-and-grab"?
There are 1131 cash nodes on bitnodes of which 897 are ABC nodes (79%). I suppose the measure of the damage to development decentralization will be seeing whether that percentage has increased after the HF.

As far as developers are concerned, there are a lot of good ones in Cash. I do agree that a similar forced-decision scenario for the next major software change will be very bad for Cash.

I see your view. It's just that on a practical level the HF date is widely publicised. There will be major damage to Cash if it is not successful. I see the ABC client is ready. On this matter other dev teams need to follow suit for the good of the coin. I do agree that if the scenario occurs again then it will be very damaging, and people certainly can and should sell based on their own assessment at any time.

---------------
erik.beijnoff [8:49 AM]
I totally agree that there is an extremely large pool of skilled developers in Cash. Those are currently being driven away by one individual, Séchet, that is completely unsuitable for the role he is in. Furthermore, since the DAA bomb dropped, it’s becoming more and more obvious, by hearing from various sources, that he ended up in that position through the same type of underhanded tactics that we are currently seeing.

I am strongly opposed to implementing any changes in BU to adapt to the new algo until it is verified to be the direction the network is taking. It should be at least 3-4 days after the change happens in the network. I see a forced implementation of the algo at that date as hurting Cash more than if the network gets to sort it out itself. If BU submits now, they will contribute to that network subversion.

Not to nag too much, but the change being pushed through by ABC is driven by network external factors, not by care for improvement.

Success for Séchet in this instance will encourage the behaviour. In fact, that’s probably exactly what we are seeing now; the EDA was pushed in a similar manner.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.