BUIP090: New Members for Election #9

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
BUIP090: New Members for Election #9

Submitted: 25 April 2018
Voting date: 7 May 2018

Summary

This BUIP lists the new membership applications for Bitcoin Unlimited which have been received since the previous membership BUIP voting day. New members are not able to vote on the current BUIPs, but will be able to in subsequent votes, provided that their entry in this BUIP is passed.

1. @sken
Links: Github: Twitter
BTC public key: 17whfha8RgFhdbaxmByGRzsRBxTYS3M8y4
https://bitco.in/forum/threads/bitcoin-unlimited-membership-join-us.208/page-13#post-61067

2. @micropresident
Links: Github
BTC public key: 1J4o9cXz2ybPsgXQf1H4GrKAdfuLLxUbnY
https://bitco.in/forum/threads/bitcoin-unlimited-membership-join-us.208/page-13#post-61594

3. @Daniel Lipshitz
Links: GAP600
BTC public key: 1HK2S5iXZZ4TYt1osvaLY6TqJMkkjEdpzA
https://bitco.in/forum/threads/bitcoin-unlimited-membership-join-us.208/page-13#post-61740

4. @Jonathan Vaage
Links:
BTC public key: 1581sovLFohMPPaxYG5gYLLGjmnemagc21
https://bitco.in/forum/threads/bitcoin-unlimited-membership-join-us.208/page-14#post-62491

5. @reina
Links: Twitter Yours
BTC public key: 1KSp6dmtF7EKZyaBpdWFL4qeG8nkMcb7LS
https://bitco.in/forum/threads/bitcoin-unlimited-membership-join-us.208/page-13#post-59891

Prospective members are asked to provide a public key which they will use for voting. Bitcoin Unlimited is a participatory organization where we do ask that people devote a small amount of time, every couple of months to guide the direction of the software and org itself.

More links to external posting history (e.g. Twitter, Medium, Facebook, Reddit) are welcome, and I'll add them here. In the current adversarial climate the links prove helpful to existing members to make their evaluation.

edit: reina added, also sig updated

------BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
BUIP090 sken micropresident DanielLipshitz JonathanVaage Reina
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNATURE-----
15TiujYmnHa33fjEnasBBm1eWcGx9YEXPL
IGg3bPr52bpdUutGLhCW4K2MGynBi/QgLpxDZ9pbDm98cIhAV+TcdRoIrI8eycz06sIJ7IXmS7QeBpmLUbECIrA=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Last edited:
Reactions: torusJKL

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
A warm welcome to the new applicants,@sken, @micropresident, @Daniel Lipshitz, @Jonathan Vaage. I would much appreciate the new applicants' additional input before I cast my vote. If you are not on the list see this post for missing information.
___
I'd like to reiterate that BU is just one of many bitcoin implementations and membership vote is how we govern changes in this implementation. Members contribute on a voluntary basis and membership requires active participation to direct this project. (Non-members can participate in voting issues. I would encourage it as it builds rapport with voting members.)

BU is differentiated from other bitcoin implementations by this governed method giving an opportunity to all professions and economic classes to participate in the development process of bitcoin, and as such active participation and diversity is needed.

The adoption of BU within the bitcoin network is voluntary and as such members only indirectly impact the direction of the bitcoin protocol leaving the network participants free to choose the software that runs the Bitcoin protocol.

It is a priority for me to grow an active and diverse membership that is robust enough to prevent the type of governing issues we've seen with the past, specifically the concept of a single reference client run by a hegemony of incumbent developers.

I don't have any good formula for improving the screening process for new members, and I'd hate to see membership deteriorate. I'd like BU governance to evolve into the best form of governance there is, so we are going to need a competent and membership capable of critical thinking.

Before I cast a vote for new members please meet me halfway and help me understand who you are by confirming the following:
  1. An online identity that can be validated that represents your participation in the cryptocurrency space (if you haven't already done so.)
  2. You've read and comprehend the Bitcoin Unlimited: Articles of Federation
  3. Can give some critical feedback on:
    a. one principal in the Articles you mostly agree with and why?
    b. one principle you think can be improved in the Articles and why?
  4. An appropriate screening question to ask new applicants to prevent introducing bad apples to the membership?
  5. The date you first started participating in some aspect of cryptocurrency discussion.
;) I think other members could also be interested in your responses.

P.s. You don't need to be a member to participate in development, everyone is welcome in the process. I'd encourage you all to ask questions, comment, discuss address advantages or disadvantages in the current BUIP's. Your participation and ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian.

Last edited:

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Hi @torusJKL
Indeed. I have PM'd those where we just need a pub key.
The ones who need a seconder really need to provide more information about their on-line writings etc.

edit: Reina has provided one now,,,

Last edited:

reina

Mar 10, 2018
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the welcome and I'll work on answering your 5 questions very soon :)!

Nice to see some other new applicants I know, it's a small world... on Twitter :)!

A warm welcome to the new applicants,@sken, @micropresident, @Daniel Lipshitz, @Jonathan Vaage. I would much appreciate the new applicants' additional input before I cast my vote. If you are not on the list see this post for missing information.
___
I'd like to reiterate that BU is just one of many bitcoin implementations and membership vote is how we govern changes in this implementation. Members contribute on a voluntary basis and membership requires active participation to direct this project. (Non-members can participate in voting issues. I would encourage it as it builds rapport with voting members.)

BU is differentiated from other bitcoin implementations by this governed method giving an opportunity to all professions and economic classes to participate in the development process of bitcoin, and as such active participation and diversity is needed.

The adoption of BU within the bitcoin network is voluntary and as such members only indirectly impact the direction of the bitcoin protocol leaving the network participants free to choose the software that runs the Bitcoin protocol.

It is a priority for me to grow an active and diverse membership that is robust enough to prevent the type of governing issues we've seen with the past, specifically the concept of a single reference client run by a hegemony of incumbent developers.

I don't have any good formula for improving the screening process for new members, and I'd hate to see membership deteriorate. I'd like BU governance to evolve into the best form of governance there is, so we are going to need a competent and membership capable of critical thinking.

Before I cast a vote for new members please meet me halfway and help me understand who you are by confirming the following:
  1. An online identity that can be validated that represents your participation in the cryptocurrency space (if you haven't already done so.)
  2. You've read and comprehend the Bitcoin Unlimited: Articles of Federation
  4. An appropriate screening question to ask new applicants to prevent introducing bad apples to the membership?
  5. The date you first started participating in some aspect of cryptocurrency discussion.
;) I think other members could also be interested in your responses.

P.s. You don't need to be a member to participate in development, everyone is welcome in the process. I'd encourage you all to ask questions, comment, discuss address advantages or disadvantages in the current BUIP's. Your participation and ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian.

reina

Mar 10, 2018
In reply to Adrian,
  1. An online identity that can be validated that represents your participation in the cryptocurrency space: Twitter @mindstatex Yours @reinanakamoto
Apparently I am quite visible on Twitter :)

2.You've read and comprehend the Bitcoin Unlimited: Articles of Federation

Indeed I have, before applying. By the way, your link is broken. The link is here: https://www.bitcoinunlimited.info/articlesOfFederation

"IV. Values and beliefs: adoption is paramount "

Without adoption, we are providing nothing more than a science experiment. The pathway to adoption is long, hard, and manifold. The current developers of Bitcoin Core and community of BTC are no longer truly interested in adoption, only in users running non-mining nodes... or whatever rhetoric is the flavor of the day from their influential "thought leaders". This is ofcourse, counter-intuitive to the actual purpose of money: The purpose of money is not so any user can run their own node of any kind, the purpose of money is to insure it works as an exchangeable unit of value, smoothly and securely for anyone, and without barriers.

With BU, and with the Bitcoin Cash community at large, I think we have the sense and values to make design choices that will make Bitcoin Cash more usable, and more convenient, without sacrificing personal freedom or security. I think this is a core principle I identify with, because having very clear and concise end goals drive us towards good choices in relation to the goal and context. Whenever there is a problem or a debate that seeks a solution, the overarching goal tells us where we need to go. A vision of the end game, along with the principles that support it, will carry us on the path of development for Bitcoin.

Also, the ability to envision the future, and see the steps and changes ahead, the changes in society and people's lives, will help to make us better creators. Many of us take part in building the technology or social structure for upcoming generations. It is our moral responsibility to have the foresight to see both the beneficial and detrimental consequences of what we create, so we can choose consciously.

"Decisions shall be made via the following procedure:"

• After this period, the officers may attach an opinion or counter BUIP to this BUIP. This package shall be presented to all members and opened for discussion for a minimum of a 2 week period. The Proposer may choose to extend this period for a maximum of 6 months."
I think six months is a much too long time to be debating the pros and cons or viability of building something. By the time 6 months rolls around, maybe many things have already changed. I don't have specific experience in Bitcoin development, but just a general environment working in a team with developers. If people have to debate something for months or longer, I think it possibly means they don't share a very clear core vision, which would drive the crux of it, right back to the clarity of the actual values and beliefs: Is "adoption" as a goal, enough? It's very open, and maybe the more integral question is "What do you see as the future of Bitcoin"? Does fiat still exist and for how long? When there is currency with no more inflation, what does the world look like? What is the distribution of wealth? What does it mean for unrestricted trade? Maybe the total reformation of govts and structures. And what about the fight against those in control of money globally, who don't want to lose it? How do we win propaganda wars?

Without speaking about the specifics of the technology, but rather what it will do for people, what is the core of how Bitcoin does it better than any other coin and will continue to progress in the future? How do we explain that to people so they understand? Most of these are not software questions, but questions about what we actually create and the consequences of creating it. We learn as we go, but I think seeing where people stand helps us understand their decisions and choices.

• If a counter-BUIP is proposed, voting occurs in a twofold
    manner: first each member votes his preference, BUIP,
    counter, or none, with a 33% majority.

The unclear part is what happens if someone did not prevote or vote during the, for example, 5 day voting period? Is the consequence expulsion? Do they get warnings, reminders? Or does it count as "none" when they don't vote?
The voting numbers are so low on the BUIPs in the list, should someone make a BU app just to make people have no excuse not to vote?
  1. An appropriate screening question to ask new applicants to prevent introducing bad apples to the membership?
"What do you want for the future of Bitcoin?"
"Describe what Bitcoin means to you, in anyway you like (philosophically, technically, etc)."
"How do you want the world to function 50 years from now?"
"Describe the time you have been moved by something"
"Describe an act of kindness you have done for someone, and describe an act of kindness which you have received".
  1. The date you first started participating in some aspect of cryptocurrency discussion.
Privately, to my friend from around 2011 or 2012. I don't know why, I was incessantly thinking about Bitcoin every now and then, it was just something that would pop up in my head, or I would read about it, and every now and then, I kept initiating conversations with my friend, like telling him something I read about Bitcoin or asked what he thought of it. But he wasn't really interested back then. Then at some point, around 2013, he was like, "You know, I finally got into Bitcoin. I know you've been telling me about this for ages, but I finally got into it. It's the future". Something a long the lines of that. So then, the situation then totally flipped, and now *he* was telling me all about Bitcoin all the time. At some point, every time I asked him what he was doing, he was basically reading about bitcoin, or going to Bitcoin Conferences.

Until 2017 I actually wasn't really active observing, just now and then i would read or meet someone involved with it ( missed all the drama happening in the background, because the few times I met people involved with Bitcoin, they were all very positive, I guess it was 2013-2014 or something). Someone at a maker fair told me about his epic custom built house wall-to-wall full of miners that have some smart way to dissipate heat effectively and so forth.

I probably asked questions on a forum at some point too, because I had attempted to mine it on my computer at some point... a rather embarrassing attempt with my terrible computer at the time, even in a mining pool. That was my noob experience with Bitcoin. I was afraid i would blow some component because my computer sucked so much. I was kind of a poor student and didn't reap any financial benefits from this terrible attempt at mining. Then there was blackout period where I didn't interact with or even read about bitcoin, even though my friend, who I only emailed to now and then, was starting his full Bitcoin life.

Anyway, fast forward to 2017 and just wanted to just catch up with Bitcoin and how it's going, I had always assumed it was just progressing nicely and chugging along, and then O_O, I saw all this anger and concern and segwit and scaling debate, basically years of stuff i missed when I was busy at university. Well, i read all this really concerning stuff, which made me feel quite sad. At some point, I just had to ask about what's going on, I was happy that Bitcoin Cash was coming as an alternative, but also really worried, and hoped everything would go smoothly with the fork. Had my ABC client ready for the fork :D. Well, from that August onward, I have been advocating BCH, and met the early Bitcoin Cash supporters via Twitter.

Sorry, this evolved into a semi-life story, but hope you enjoy it anyhow!

Cheers,
Reina

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
:) you're definitely visible on twitter.
The voting numbers are so low on the BUIPs in the list, should someone make a BU app just to make people have no excuse not to vote?
Make a BUIP :whistle:, I like the idea, I think there is an issue with knowing when vote dates close and getting membership participation. The one thing I'd like to see is an API for signing messages, ie a message to be signed is launched into a wallet app much like the pay API, where you sign the message it's sent back.

Reactions: Windowly and reina

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
@sken I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you this time.
I think people have abstained because they don't know you and didn't see any reaction from you.

Of course you are free to apply again and hopefully we will know you better until then.