Announcement -:- Bitcoin Unlimited General Release 1.0.2.0

7queue

Feb 16, 2017
Florida USA
The installation guide needs to be updated to tell people to git checkout release
I was very confused for a while
As am I, so clone Branch : release then? I cloned v0.13.1 and applied patches to get it compiled under Kali, will try release now.

I have to say this only took a few hours from initial start to full block download compared to multiple day download with Core...

Reactions: freetrader

7queue

Feb 16, 2017
Florida USA

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Hey @7queue, welcome to the forum!

The "releases" software distributed are just a feature of git (https://github.com/blog/1547-release-your-software) that gives you conveniently packages snapshots corresponding to certain tags.

In the above, you are cloning the 'release' branch, which is the branch BU uses to prepare for upcoming releases. General development (most active branch) is 'dev'.

When releases happen, they are tagged. If you want to clone a particular release using Git, you should clone it with the specific tag, e.g.
Code:
git clone -b 1.0.0.1 git://github.com/BitcoinUnlimited/BitcoinUnlimited bu-1.0.0.1
On GitHub, you can find the list of tags if you click on the 'releases' link , and on the left side there is a link to a 'Tags' page.

For some reason, if I use the 'branches' pulldown and select the 'tags' tab / pulldown there, it doesn't show ALL of the tags. Specifically, it doesn't show 1.0.0.1 (the latest release currently). That must be some Github limitation within that pulldown menu.

If you want to list all the tags, you can also do a 'git tag' on the command line, and then 'git checkout <tagname>' to get to that release.

Last edited:
Reactions: solex

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Personally no, the thought of running BU on Kali somehow scares me, but I'm too out of touch with what's going on in that distro. Does it have a good reputation as a basis for a secure distro, or why the choice?

7queue

Feb 16, 2017
Florida USA
I have one system setup with Kali Rolling and multiple nics through a star tap with wireshark running to watch the traffic. I wouldn't use it for production as it's based on Debian testing, so only for analyzing what's going on. It takes some massaging to get it to build, why I asked.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Great. Would be nice if you could share some of the gymnastics needed to get it to build on Kali Rolling.
This would save others time trying to get to where you are now, if they want to try it on Kali.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Announcing Release 1.0.1: Bugfix rollup release

From 1.0.0.0 includes:

ensure consistent configuration: When the excessive block and max mined block configuration is set or changed, that excessive block is >= max mined block.
ensure that nodes are disconnected at a thread-safe time
documentation fixes
fix QT bug where the tray icon menu has no choices
if a node's message start is invalid (corrupt), ban for 4 hours.
allow the "pushtx" RPC accept partial node IP addresses and it will search for the first match
add help to configuration parameters defined via "CTweaks"
add miner comment to CTweaks as "mining.comment"
add miner maximum block generation size to CTweaks as "mining.blockSize"
fix certain timeouts and inconsistancies in the regression test execution
point release 1.0.0.1: fix to reserve space for miner's coinbase and correctly account for coinbase in internal miner

`55d8cbd` bump to version 1.0.1.0 (Andrew Stone)
`fee66bd` add range checking to mining block size and excessive size, still need to show a warning in the GUI (Andrew Stone)
`fb3b0a0` fix unit test for new constraint on setminingmaxblock (Andrew Stone)
`e3b75e5` ensure that mined block size cannot be set > excessive block size (Andrew Stone)
`60f99ca` Change the order of Network Initialization (Peter Tschipper)
`5a0fd1a` Set a 4 hour ban only on Invalid MessageStart (Peter Tschipper)
`eafeac9` Disconnect node using the disconnect flag (Peter Tschipper)
`c905243` Ban node if PROCESS MESSAGESTART failure (Peter Tschipper)
`abd60a3` Merge pull request #328 from gubatron/prioritize-tx-fix (gandrewstone)
`8769cf0` Merge pull request #327 from gubatron/secp256k1-max_scalar-warning-fix (gandrewstone)
`208e65e` Removed redundant parameter from mempool.PrioritiseTransaction (gubatron)
`88b503c` Silence unused variable warning (secp256k1 test) (gubatron)
`7395d35` Change QT org name and domain to reflect BitcoinUnlimited (Peter Tschipper)
`7da9f84` Updates copyright for 2017 (HansHauge)
`6aa0398` merge (Andrew Stone)
`b3c9c78` Merge pull request #271 from jamoes/bu-tray-icon-menu (gandrewstone)
`9532273` [QT] Bugfix: ensure tray icon menu is not empty (Stephen McCarthy)
`b7ab016` clean up request manager entry when no source exists, and solve potential deadlock flagged by the detector (Andrew Stone)
`929f50d` Merge pull request #276 from gandrewstone/dev (gandrewstone)
`1862a8a` Merge pull request #288 from sickpig/fix/release-note-1.0.0-typos-release-branch (gandrewstone)
`3e018f3` Fix a few more typos and URLs (Andrea Suisani)
`505fca3` Merge pull request #284 from sickpig/fix/title-and-url-1.0.0-release-note-release-branch (gandrewstone)
`8f3b506` Add <h1> title to the doc and fix download URL (Andrea Suisani)
`1f3aa99` Merge pull request #270 from sickpig/travis/backport-bu-pr261 (gandrewstone)
`afe43f7` Merge pull request #278 from sickpig/new/release-note-1.0.0 (gandrewstone)
`5874e9e` Add BU 1.0.0 release note (Andrea Suisani)
`a231b13` [travis] Backport of BU PR #261 to release branch (Andrea Suisani)
`dda0c0e` Merge pull request #265 from sickpig/fix/travis-status-release (gandrewstone)
`c1861e6` Update Travis-ci status icon (release branch) (Andrea Suisani)
`b471620` bump the build number (Andrew Stone)
`967b6d8` Merge pull request #259 from gandrewstone/release (gandrewstone)
`c831c5d` shorten runtime of miner_tests because windows test on travis may be taking too long (Andrew Stone)
`5e82003` Add unit test for zero reserve block generation, and zero reserve block generation with different length coinbase messages. Account for possible varint lengths of 9 bytes for 2 values that are not known during transaction selection (Andrew Stone)
`3831cc2` Add unit test for block generation, and fix a unit test issue -- an invalid configuration left by a prior test (Andrew Stone)
`20c1f94` fix issue where a block's coinbase can make it exceed the configured value (Andrew Stone)

[If you don't see release 1.0.1 on the downloads page, you will soon. I need to post this so I can reference it in the web site, which then needs to go through the github pull request process]

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Welcome @Ruff, are you intending to hook into nolnet?

Reactions: AdrianX

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Version 1.0.2.0 is the latest official release at May 11, 2017

Release Notes for Bitcoin Unlimited v1.0.2.0
Bitcoin Unlimited version 1.0.2.0 is now available from:

https://bitcoinunlimited.info/download

Please report bugs using the issue tracker at github:

https://github.com/BitcoinUnlimited/BitcoinUnlimited/issues

This is an hotfix release.

Upgrading
If you are running an older version, shut it down. Wait until it has completely shut down (which might take a few minutes for older versions), then run the installer (on Windows) or just copy over /Applications/Bitcoin-Qt (on Mac) or bitcoind/bitcoin-qt (on Linux).

Main Changes
Changes are as follows:
  • Fix a memory exhaustion attack:
    • Avoiding the process of Xthin blocks unless they extend the chain.
    • Clear thinblock data and disconnect a node if the maximum bytes permitted for concurrent thinblock re-construction has been exceeded.
    • Calculate whether thinblock memory is too big before pushing anything, and disallow repeated tx in the thin blocks
  • Overall reorganization and consolidation of Xthin and Xpedited code

• Added compilation flag: "--enable-gperf" that allows bitcoin to be linked with gperftools on Linux

• Update LevelDB to 1.19

https://github.com/BitcoinUnlimited/BitcoinUnlimited/blob/v1.0.2.0/doc/release-notes/release-notes-1.0.2.0.md

If you made the temporary config change to set xthin=0, then please revert.

Reactions: steffen

jlp

Dec 12, 2017
I had BTC in my Electrum wallet. Now, I have BCH after the fork.

Does Bitcoin Unlimited's wallet allow me to import the private keys from Electrum?

Does BU wallet allow me to create an off-line wallet?

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
You can import a private key.
I don't know if the wallet can be used offline.

You could use Electron Cash which is a fork of Electrum created for Bitcoin Cash.
The seed is compatible and you would have a familiar environment.

Reactions: jlp

jlp

Dec 12, 2017
There are news about scam wallets that are stealing coins, such as the mybtgwallet (Bitcoin Gold) and Coinpouch wallets: https://news.bitcoin.com/bitcoin-gold-wallet-stole-private-keys-scooped-3-3-million/

They blamed Bitcoingold.org for publishing a link to the scam wallet and for not having audited the wallet beforehand.

Has anyone reviewed or audited the source code of any BCH wallets?

Has Bitcoincash.org reviewed or audited the source code of any of the wallets on its site? If so, how can we confident that they have?

I tried to run Electron Cash from source on my Mac, but I couldn't get past the Python errors.