The forbidden GIF: Unblocking of the stream via emergent consensus

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
The forbidden GIF: Unblocking of the stream via emergent consensus

This is a simple animation to visualize how the network's block size limit could be increased through a completely decentralized process with Bitcoin Unlimited.

When enough "forking pressure" builds, individual nodes defect from the historical 1 MB consensus, setting their personal block size acceptance limits higher. A new consensus forms at a higher limit (e.g., 2MB) with the help of signalling. When miners are confident that the economic majority will accept larger blocks, they begin to relieve the pressure by increasing their generation limits and producing larger blocks.

The Core devs cannot hold back the invisible hand of the market.

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Forking pressure builds
New consensus forms
===> "The curtain falls"
Core devs cannot hold back

Reactions: AdrianX

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@Peter R I'm honored to know you thanks for perfecting this image it's fantastic. I also LOLed at the addition of the little red man.

Red being a great colour I imagined a little pool of red blood squeezed out on the floor after the StreamBlocker gets squashed.

I'm sorry to see you're been suspended site wide.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Just thought a little about how this image can be made even better:

- as the ML is raised, more economic participants join or at least add water to it,
i.e. the volume ("pressure" i.e. fees) is increasing at the same time that the while the ML increases. This is what surpasses the counteracting force :)

- it would be nice to see excited users jump in the pool and play (naturally raising the level even higher)!

Aquent

Aug 19, 2015
@Peter R I'm honored to know you thanks for perfecting this image it's fantastic. I also LOLed at the addition of the little red man.

Red being a great colour I imagined a little pool of red blood squeezed out on the floor after the StreamBlocker gets squashed.

I'm sorry to see you're been suspended site wide.
I may be standing out here, but I did find the little man to be somewhat in bad taste. I interpret it and I think this was probably @Peter R 's intention, as the market overcoming centralised diktats, but it can be misinterpreted in other ways.

In my opinion, we have to be careful to not escalate. Many of the small blockers (especially some developers) hold a genuine opinion that 1mb4eva is best, for, in my view, mistaken reasons and probably for participating in a groupthink in irc for far too long. We want those people to see our message and be receptive to it so that they are introduced to a more holistic way of thinking about the issue and start to question the assumptions they have been fed and have taken for granted.

Unfortunately, with the censorship, banning, etc, the other side is getting more and more rigid in their groupthink and more radicalized with nazi sort of language such as sockpuppets, coakroaches etc. The more radicalised they become, the more they will drive away the reasonable people who will then come to see what we are saying. At that point we want those individuals to see that we operate differently here, with diverse views, many inputs, debate and discussion, and most importantly in a polite and civilised manner.

They are provoking us and trying to agitate, and some of them have been provoking us for years, to become radicalised, or extrimist in thought, so that it then becomes easier for outsiders (from bitcoin) to dismiss us and of course so that reasonable outsiders or even current reasonable individuals do not engage or leave.

We have to resist that urge and try and always to be polite, civilised, on topic with the message, open to all and all views, with a stoic attitude to their provocation and a ghandi like approach etc. which of course is a tough order, but we have to keep trying.

It has worked so far with their censorship creating free spaces, their bannings encouraging involvement, their rigidness encouraging different implementations, their shallow message encouraging a unanimous agreement across all sections for 2mb right now, etc.

And it has worked because our position is not obfuscated and can be clearly expressed. The image above for example expresses a very important truth and intuitively educates others of our opinion that in bitcoin the free market and the free market alone rules and that the free market overcomes any barrier.

However, that message is stronger without the little man and it becomes more focused too as well as allowing others who do not share our opinion to be more receptive.

Last edited:

Pecuniology

Dec 20, 2015
South Florida, USA
An alternative view is that stream blockers are not our primary audience. Instead, miners are.

Appeasing Putin won't get Crimea back, but calling him out on his misbehavior might restrict his allies to countries like Belarus, Iran, North Korea, and Venezuela.