MEME FACTORY

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015

I'm watching all these noobs get funneled into #uasf playing on their anti chinese sentiments, one of them(@Svnlyt) outright says "most nodes are in america, bitcoin was made by americans, most bitcoin users are in america"

https://bitcoincore.slackarchive.io/welcome/page-82/ts-1496197342080289

Then another #uasf noob says in another thread:

"Zulu Hotel [4 hours ago]
Hahaha. As long as I'm signalling, half the battle is won"

It's all a bit of a play on the sense of disenfranchisement westerners felt when they fell out of the mining game. Instead of trying to compete, an 'us' vs 'them'... had me thinking back to this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoin_uncensored/comments/5zwi9e/the_full_but_nonmining_relay_nodes_break_bitcoins/

"But by 2013-2014 mining had became an industrial activity, increasingly shifted to a small number of companies in countries with cheap elctricity like China, Sweden, and Iceland.

By the fundamental principles of the protocol, the Elders should have become simple clients.

But, understandably, they did not like the idea at all. They could not accept the fact that bitcoin was no longer a decentralized system, and had become merely a clandestine payment system, a "Liberty Reserve 2.0", run by half a dozen companies in China rather than one in Costa Rica.

And they could not accept the idea of having lost their control over the network and became irrelevant to its security.

So they continued to do the things that every miner must do in order to mine: accept transactions from clients, validate them, forward them to other "nodes", keep a full copy of the blockchain, a mempool and an UTXO database, receive blocks from miners, validate them, and forward them to other nodes and clients.

In short, those users continued to "play the miners" without being actually miners; and rigged the Core implementation so that clients would normally connect to them, rather than to real miners. And they quietly redefined the word "node" to mean them, not the miners.

Those Elders then claimed (and maybe even believed), that, by doing all the tasks of the miners except mining, by becoming practically mandatory middlemen, and by outnumbering the miners, they were not only essential parts of the network, but even more important than the miners themselves. They claimed to have control of the network, and that they could protect it from any "mischief" that the a majority of miners might try to do.

But that is an illusion, and a very dangerous one, The security of the network rests entirely on the principle that numbers do not matter, only hashing power. With zero hashing power, those "full but non mining" relays are powerless and ineffective. They cannot prevent a majority of miners from exercising their real power. On the contrary, they completely break bitcoin's security model and invalidate its proofs."

Hence the G.I. nodes meme.

Last edited:

albin

Nov 8, 2015
I had a thought, maybe a good way to lampoon UASF is for people to start just wearing real baseball caps in their profile pictures....

Current MLB standings aside, I can't help but think that exuding a "Let's Go Mets!" message is only a million times cooler than UASF??

albin

Nov 8, 2015
@freetrader

Lol, no joke prior to Bitcoin I was aware of the term application specific integrated circuit, but when I heard of ASICS, that's exactly what would've sprung into my mind!

I'm supporting BIP 1986 now, User-activated New York Mets.
(Or BIP 1969 for any old farts out there!)