Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
And he doesn't give Gavin a proper answer to how much bitcoin can scale on-chain. If you claim to have "math", show the math.
Typical stupid big blockers. The math is very simple. Blocksize B is proportional to generated hard-fork uncertainty U and squared number of lies 'l'. It further goes with SegWit hype s_h and a special calibration index i_t that Greg invented back in 2005. We thus end up at:

This formula can also be put into a form that is very easy memoize. This is left as an exercise to the reader.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@sickpig
And he doesn't give Gavin a proper answer to how much bitcoin can scale on-chain. If you claim to have "math", show the math.
you don't get it, *it can't* scale. full stop. :)

1MiB max base block size limit forever.

Then of course you could reach actual 4MB with SegWit but only because it has been coded by Core and deployed as a soft fork. Because, you know, they are the only group of dev that are able to code, all the rest just produce bugs.

On a more serious note, one think that really annoys me is that as long as you can conceive it as a softfork you can change whatever you want at protocol level, whereas if you think to apply a protocol upgrade via an hard fork, it doesn't matter how simple and contained the change is (take BIP 109 for example), according to core devs and small blockists, you are creating an altcoin.

Let's consider SegWit for a moment:

- it touches tons of code,
- and introduces tons of new ones,
- it took 5 BIPs to be completely specified,
- the validation capabilities of the non-upgraded nodes will be diminished
- it changes the economic incentives of the system in multiple ways
- only ~25% of the miners are signaling SegWit hence it is a contentious fork by definition

and still it is perceived as perfectly OK to adopt it and small blockists are wondering why there're other people with a different opinion....

Last edited:

throwaway

Aug 28, 2015
To the member that sent me this pm:

Hi throwaway

Examining the available social evidence tells me you are working with Satoshi aka Craig Steven Wright and you will soon shock many people with a new piece of software which I guess will be called Bitcoin Advanced or something similar. You will try to softfork the bitcoin network to bigger blocks and a lot more functionality.
This all sounds very exciting, but unfortunately you seem to have confused me with someone else...

Interesting discussion about gossip traffic. Some thoughts:

1. Can someone give a Workshop on traffic? What is send, how can we record it?

2. A analyses project would ne great!

3. Looking on my traffic monitor it is mostly flat, with some big spikes. I guess block downloads from syncing nodes make a major part.

4. It would ne nice, of traffic was mostly independent from transaction volume and blocksize. Could it be that a major factor is not the economic activity, but the number of nodes?

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
I have a question. Can anybody tell me what's going on on the BU test network? I remember that there should be tests and simulations of VERY BIG BLOCKS. Like 100 mB blocks. What happened? What's the results? Are the results not published? Why not?

Mengerian

Staff member
Aug 29, 2015
Nice quote from the Coinjournal article:
CJ: Did Bitcoin.com’s recently mined invalid block due to a bug in Bitcoin Unlimited change your thinking on Bitcoin Unlimited and/or emergent consensus?

MZ: No. As an engineer, I don’t think there is a software product without bugs. Fortunately, this bug caused only a small loss. We should support good alternative Bitcoin protocol implementations to make the Bitcoin network stronger. When there are various implementations on the network, a bug from one implementation will only affect some of the nodes, not all nodes. In addition, when a bug of one implementation is active, the nodes will have a choice to change to another implementation. When a bug is active, emergency activity and leadership of the developers becomes important. I believe that the BU developers did a good job in timely solving this problem, just as the Core developers have previously done.

Mengerian

Staff member
Aug 29, 2015
How about if you accept his offer to come, but prior to his speech give a short talk to the group introducing and explaining BU. Use his ability to draw a crowd to BU's benefit.

Also, would be good to let him know your opinion on what he said. Maybe he's trapped in the censorship bubble, it would be good to let him know there that BU is a good solution to the block size debate, and that there are intelligent, reasonable people advocating for it.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
I have a question. Can anybody tell me what's going on on the BU test network? I remember that there should be tests and simulations of VERY BIG BLOCKS. Like 100 mB blocks. What happened? What's the results? Are the results not published? Why not?
the big block testnet is called nol.

to participate just fire up a bitcoind and use the flag `-chain_nol`

and you could start CPU mining (`bitcoin-cli -chain_nol setgenerate true`)

you are right thou about luck of results publication we need to work on it.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@Norway: think about it - if the situation was reversed and you had a chance to present your POV somewhere, would you like being denied that opportunity? I guess not.

Giving him a chance to speak will make your event more popular, and there could be some people who want to ask AA some difficult questions. It's good for Bitcoin to have debate.