Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Are there anybody here that are not banned from /r/bitcoin?

Please try to post the blog from Meltem Demirors, Director of Development at DCG in /r/bitcoin.

Link here;
https://medium.com/@DCGco/scaling-bitcoin-reflections-from-the-dcg-portfolio-35b9a065b2a4#.um0fgzjez

What if it gets censored? That would be fun!
I don't think anybody needs to post on r/bitcoin. The combination of zelony, madness and hypocrises ("DCG would have done good to ask r/bitcoin to overcome their technical stupidity") will be a better marketing for BU and a runaway from core than anybody here could provide

bluemoon

Jan 15, 2016
I don't think anybody needs to post on r/bitcoin. The combination of zelony, madness and hypocrises ("DCG would have done good to ask r/bitcoin to overcome their technical stupidity") will be a better marketing for BU and a runaway from core than anybody here could provide
Wow, I've just been reading the mindless, abusive comments in that thread!

You deserve a medal Christoph for trying to get them to think a little more reflectively.

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
@Richy_T

"Behind the rise in seizures is a little-known cottage industry of private police-training firms that teach the techniques of “highway interdiction” to departments across the country.

One of those firms created a private intelligence network known as Black Asphalt Electronic Networking & Notification System that enabled police nationwide to share detailed reports about American motorists — criminals and the innocent alike — including their Social Security numbers, addresses and identifying tattoos, as well as hunches about which drivers to stop."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/09/06/stop-and-seize/

http://acluok.org/2013/07/aclu-of-oklahoma-calls-for-criminal-charges-and-state-investigation-in-caddo-county-drug-task-forcedesert-snow-profit-sharing-scheme/

Last edited:

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
Just out of curiosity, have the Bitcoin Uncensored morons put out any feelers to ambush interview @solex and/or @theZerg?

I figured no, because while they routinely bash BU on the basis of no substance, generally if they want somebody on to pillory, they engage in a lengthy public shaming to call them out. They obviously couldn't resist getting the wrong Toomim brother on to ask insulting programming questions after his funny slack convo messing w/ Adam Back, and they went for Roger I'm sure thinking they could embarrass and overpower him (boy were they wrong!), but doubtful they're interested in getting nothing they want out of interviewing competent and courteous people.
They've invited me to come on the show a couple times. Not sure it would be worthwhile though.

bluemoon

Jan 15, 2016
Hmm. Could it be that Washington is also behind the rise in civil forfeiture?
Internationally I am sure that is the case. The main push came after the 2001 9/11 attacks and Bush's 'War on Terror': the UK introduced its Proceeds of Crime Act[1] in 2002 which, among other things, lets police seize cash and other property without having to prove wrong-doing and also requires banks and professional advisers secretly to report suspicions about their clients to the state. The UK's been shedding traditional legal safeguards ever since.

The September 11 attacks in 2001, which led to the Patriot Act in the US and similar legislation worldwide, led to a new emphasis on money laundering laws to combat terrorism financing. The Group of Seven (G7) nations used the Financial Action Task Force on Money Laundering to put pressure on governments around the world to increase surveillance and monitoring of financial transactions and share this information between countries. Starting in 2002, governments around the world upgraded money laundering laws and surveillance and monitoring systems of financial transactions. [2]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proceeds_of_Crime_Act_2002
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_laundering

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
It's been almost two decades since I took a logic course, so please excuse any mistakes. I'm wondering if we can make a simple argument to show that the primary argument by small-block proponents is logically inconsistent.

Start with the following working definition for a centralized p2p network that both small-block proponents and big-block proponents might agree to:

1. A p2p network is "centralized" if a minority subset of that network can constrain the behaviour of participants from outside of that minority subset.

Small block proponents argue that the block size must be constrained in order to keep Bitcoin decentralized (to keep the cost of nodes low):

2. Bitcoin's MAX_BLOCK_SIZE must be sufficiently constrained in order to keep Bitcoin decentralized.

At the same time, small-block proponents argue that node operators and miners should not be able to easily adjust their node's MAX_BLOCK_SIZE nor signal their preferences to the network (i.e., they disagree with what BU is trying to do):

3. If MAX_BLOCK_SIZE were easily adjustable by network participants, it would not be sufficiently constrained.

If it is not the network participants as a whole that constrain MAX_BLOCK_SIZE, it must be a special subset of the network instead:

4. A group of experts should constrain the block size, balancing growth with decentralization.

But this is just another way of saying that "a minority subset of the network should be able to constrain the behaviour of participants from outside that minority subset"! Which is our working definition for a centralized network from #1.

Which means the small-block argument reduces to the clearly false statement that:

5. The network must be centralized to keep it decentralized.

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
@Peter R The logical inconsistencies are everywhere, it's great to see this key one demonstrated so clearly. The tide is definitely turning, but bitcoin feels like a supertanker - with it's frustratingly large turning circle.

I noticed this sarcastic one from @deadalnix on BU slack:

Bitcoin: a high fee settlement layer for banks that impoverished cypherpunks can run at home!

Perhaps we need a series of these? BU MythBUsters

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
I'm wondering if we can make a simple argument to show that the primary argument by small-block proponents is logically inconsistent
The problem is they're is no consistent position.

Eg. We need a limited block size to create a competitive fee market. Vs. We need to activate segwit to reduce fees.
Vs. Segwit transaction data should only pay 25% the market rate of non segwit transaction data because block space is limited.

So while large block proponents are consistent in block size should not be limited, small block proponents chose whatever objection suits their argument at the time, ignoring the inconsistent logic.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
They've invited me to come on the show a couple times. Not sure it would be worthwhile though.
I would say don't do it!

Over the last half-year or so I've deliberately gotten around to listening to all their interviews while commuting, it's a somewhat entertaining show, but not at all for anything about the Bitcoin content.

There is nothing good that could ever come out of it, because they're in too deep and there's nothing that anyone could ever say that would make them even consider arguing for BU legitimate. It doesn't matter how well you do, because the way they interact with the audience is like mediocre shock-jocks and not a tech podcast, so they deliberately frame the beginning and ending with their own interpretation of what happened, and declare victory no matter what unless they're just completely intimidated (like what happened w/ Fluffypony and Reggie Middleton).

Basically what's going to happen is they're going to pretend to be pleasant, then go fishing to find something that makes you either lose your composure or that they can manipulate with sophistry. Classic example is to persist asking infuriating questions attempting to assess your qualifications, which is hilarious because the one guy has no formal education and the other studied sociology!

My suspicion I think they would go for with you is to somehow link blocksize with their efficient-markets hypothesis obsession (they use EMH as a way to produce just-so stories to combat whatever they want at a whim). Somehow they act like they know the first thing about EMH, on the basis that somehow they convinced Eugene Fama to do an interview in which they asked the most pointless superficial questions, yet there is no evidence to me in any of their statements on the show that they're familiar with any of the most basic literature on the subject.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
@freetrader

It's so fascinating because Junseth acts exactly like people I remember from college who had no subject-matter expertise (yet!) in anything, yet were so pumped with bullshit self-esteem that they know everything by being a big fish in high school.

He constantly name-drops heterodox economists, but I've never seen him produce any commentary that is deeper than wikipedia. The entire situation is begging for the Good Will Hunting bar scene.

xhiggy

Mar 29, 2016
There could be no forking attacks if everyone just set it to infinity, and set their own dynamic fee.

Edit: Development teams could then, instead sell their fee pricing systems.

_mr_e

Aug 28, 2015
I would say don't do it!

Over the last half-year or so I've deliberately gotten around to listening to all their interviews while commuting, it's a somewhat entertaining show, but not at all for anything about the Bitcoin content.

There is nothing good that could ever come out of it, because they're in too deep and there's nothing that anyone could ever say that would make them even consider arguing for BU legitimate. It doesn't matter how well you do, because the way they interact with the audience is like mediocre shock-jocks and not a tech podcast, so they deliberately frame the beginning and ending with their own interpretation of what happened, and declare victory no matter what unless they're just completely intimidated (like what happened w/ Fluffypony and Reggie Middleton).

Basically what's going to happen is they're going to pretend to be pleasant, then go fishing to find something that makes you either lose your composure or that they can manipulate with sophistry. Classic example is to persist asking infuriating questions attempting to assess your qualifications, which is hilarious because the one guy has no formal education and the other studied sociology!

My suspicion I think they would go for with you is to somehow link blocksize with their efficient-markets hypothesis obsession (they use EMH as a way to produce just-so stories to combat whatever they want at a whim). Somehow they act like they know the first thing about EMH, on the basis that somehow they convinced Eugene Fama to do an interview in which they asked the most pointless superficial questions, yet there is no evidence to me in any of their statements on the show that they're familiar with any of the most basic literature on the subject.
As true as this is, I would still be in the do it camp. All press is good press and it would be a great chance to explain BU concepts to a wide audience. Be humble, don't claim to know all the answers to everything plaguing Bitcoin, and be prepared to school them at mathematics and I think you'll do just fine.