Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
I'm honestly not quite amused by Charlie Lee's handshakes which proclaim the end of a "Civil War" (in big fat quotes). It radiates a certain cognitive dissonance.

Resorting to trolling on Roger's cred with the 'endorses Coinbase' remark - poor taste.
I don't know the guy, but it seems to display a lack of judgment that is progressing in the direction of other well-known figures. I don't believe Roger knew the use of that imagery, otherwise I find it hard to believe he would approve.

If ever there was a 'the emperor has no clothes' pronouncement, it must be this pathetic attempt to signal that everything is alright and the price is about to rise.

@cliff's links clearly put that into perspective as marketable material probably intended to speak to home audiences.

And I like the question posed by some person on one of those links: (paraphrase)

"if Bitcoins are produced in China, why do you/we let the Americans decide the course of its future" ?

If we cut out the potentially offensive nationalist elements (we ought to have thick enough skin here to ignore those) , the core of the question remains valid.

Keep asking tough questions, Chinese Bitcoin user. Is it in your interest what's happening?

Last edited:

cliff

Dec 15, 2015

"I can confirm that the loss from the hack stands at 119,756btc." u/zanetackett

xhiggy

Mar 29, 2016
I agree Gavin is a great Bitcoin developer and an intelligent and good person. This is why a really important step to larger blocks is when Gavin withdraws his support for Classic and gets back around the negotiating table. It looks like we are close.
So you agree that Gavin is a better steward of the code? We can't afford any break in consensus remember, you need to be firm.

Reactions: bluemoon

xhiggy

Mar 29, 2016
I made this comment, based on public comments from the large mining pools saying they would vote for Classic if it had a 90% threshold and then a further discussion with other large pools (excluding Bitmain, who would have obviously gone along with this)
I'm glad you are finally admitting that you spread around stinky manure as if it was fact.

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
Holy smokes. WHAT?!?!?

120,000 bitcoins?

Why in god's name why? Cold storage? Trezors? How on earth in this day and age do you lose that many bitcoins... There are so many security solutions... Argh
the security solution bitfinex used was .... the first of its kind... p2sha? or wtv
i guess we will soon here that there impl was buggy.
but honestly i think there is a HUGE change it was an inside job.
somehow an insider is invloed i would suspect...
[doublepost=1470179791][/doublepost]
Someone tell me no one has forked yet and I am missing out on minting on the proper fork ..... price action in the last several hours is truly staggering.
lol no no

that FUD is set for 3-6 months from now.

Reactions: bluemoon

ascedorf

Aug 2, 2016
Symmetrical - Asymmetrical forks

can somebody correct my understanding

on an asymmetrical fork (new one having greater hashpower)
as soon as the difficulty changes then doesnt the fork then
become symmetrical

as blocks from old chain are no longer valid on new chain as they don't have enough work on them?

sorry for anyones loss on bitfinex.

edit spelling

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@ascedorf : welcome.

No, the less powerful chain will still be able to produce valid blocks in an asymmetric fork, just far slower. Bear in mind that it would always try to build on the most-proof-of-work chain containing the last valid block produced by any miner. And it has a chance to find it, it's just lower.

The difficulty adjustment only considers that the average time over the last period should be adjusted into the direction of 10min/block.

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015

Mengerian

Staff member
Aug 29, 2015

Epilido

Sep 2, 2015
Wow look who is suggesting a black list and chain rollback...

maaku7Mark Friedenbach - Bitcoin Expert [score hidden] 23 minutes ago

Zane, this is many times larger than the block reward for the duration of time that has elapsed. Have you considered getting a list of transactions to blacklist and getting miners to reorg the theft? The window of time for that hasn't closed.

(If this happened in the last day, then that's 12.5*144 blocks = 1,800 BTC in subsidy. That's <2% of the hack.)