Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
It can't be gamed by stuffing because there is no point. Having high val txns beyond the limit does not let the miner include addtl low value txns...

But combined with bitpay I see your point so the addtl size should not be able to affect the bitpay calc.

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
@jonny1000. Below I try to organize your recent comments on orphaning risk and the transaction fee market into three premises which I believe you hold. I agree with the first, would rephrase the second, and disagree with the third.

1. Miners will include all transactions down to the point where the fee per kilobyte equals the marginal orphaning risk

This assumes perfect competition and that miners attempt to mine on all valid blocks (regardless of their size). I agree that these are useful assumptions to make in order to analyze the problem. These are in fact precisely the market conditions I assumed in "A Transaction Fee Market Exists Without a Block Size Limit."

2. Orphan risk must be significantly smaller than miners' revenue in order for things not to "break."

I would rephrase this by saying for the marginal miner (earning zero profit) that

(PoW) = (Miner's Revenue) - (Orphan Risk)​

and that orphan risk must not be so high that it reduces PoW security to unacceptable levels. I'm not sure how to quantify this further; however, over Bitcoin's 7.5 year history, miner's revenue has always been significantly greater than the orphan risk.

3. Without a block size limit, orphan risk is guaranteed to be large compared to miner's revenue

You state this as fact, yet it is pure speculation. You seem to think it follows as a logical consequence of #1 but it doesn't. For a given set of network conditions (i.e., propagation impedances), the orphan risk depends on the size of the block. The size of the block depends on the fees offered by the transactions in mempool. So the block size--and thus the orphan risk--will only be high if the miner's mempool contains a large amount of high fee-paying transactions. In other words, the orphan risk at a given point in time will depend on demand. Since you don't know what demand will be, your statement that "orphan risk is guaranteed to be large compared to miner's revenue" is clearly false.

What do I think network orphan rates would be in 2020 without a block size limit? My hunch is around 1 - 2% as they've been for the last 7.5 years, but they could be more or they could be less. The point is that no one knows (furthermore, optimistic mining serves as a counterbalance to reduce network orphan rates should they begin to increase above a few percent).

Last edited:

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
You know very well that you support a destruction of an essential rule: Blocks must never be full; block limit always has to be far above actual block sizes.
Yes I do support full blocks. I am not now nor have I ever hid that. I want full blocks. I consider full blocks an inevitability. The Blockchain provides a unique storage proposition and at a low enough price demand will be unlimited. To avoid this we need a relevant limit such that users need to outbid each other to get into the chain, exactly as Satoshi intended:

Satoshi on September 30 2010 said:
At some price, you can pretty much always get in if you're willing to outbid the other customers.
Source: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1314.msg14732#msg14732

A hard fork a synonym for the users of one currency deciding to switch to another currency. A minority which is capable of preventing a hard fork is a minority that can force the majority of Bitcoin users to continue using the currency against their will
Yes they can switch to another currency, the idea is the existing rules will be the dominant currency in this case. As I keep repeating, maybe I am wrong here, but then in my eyes Bitcoin will then fail and not become a long term successful money. I always thought there was a more than 50% change Bitcoin would fail. To me a high level of resilience is necessary to ensure Bitcoin succeeds. Otherwise eventually HFs will be done to confiscate funds or create new funds, when these actions become politically popular, which is inevitable.

Do you not see why the small blockers are fighting so hard here? We see this as a practice or test case for an inevitable battle over the block reward or confiscation of funds in 10, 20 or 30 years time. We need to be sure the small blockers have a resounding victory now, otherwise defeat in that upcoming battle is inevitable and then Bitcoin will fail in the long term. To repeat again, the existing rules may lose, but I think its worth a fight.

As long as you never examine (laziness) the argument, "hard forks must be prevented at all cost because <reasons that are actual circular arguments>".
Hardforks are fine, it is contentious hardforks which must be avoided. Please try to understand our point of view. If you do not understand, then you will probably think we are stupid.

Sometimes when people who have invested in a failed strategy start to suspect they made a mistake, the pain of realizing the loss is too great (sunk cost fallacy) so they refrain from realizing it.
Sure both sides large biases. Remember, in my view I think I may be wrong, but in that case Bitcoin is not worth much to me anyway. I am only interested in a system that is highly resilient to contentious hardforks.

this = "I want a system that the richest and most powerful minority can prevent change and thus control humanities money" - Doh ! :eek:
No, I never said the richest and most powerful, I want it to be any significant minority. Preventing a change is not control, this feature prevents anyone being in control.

Last edited:

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
however, over Bitcoin's 7.5 year history, miner's revenue has always been significantly greater than the orphan risk.
Peter, as I keep repeating this problem only occurs when the block reward is insignificant. In the last 7.5 years the block reward has been very significant. Please can you do me a favor and stop mentioning this to help with my sanity?
[doublepost=1469331752][/doublepost]
1. Miners will include all transactions down to the point where the fee per kilobyte equals the marginal orphaning risk

This assumes perfect competition and that miners attempt to mine on all valid blocks (regardless of their size). I agree that these are useful assumptions to make in order to analyze the problem.
Thank you. Please can you also address the other angle to this, which is wallets reducing the fee to just over the expected marginal cost to the miner of including the transaction. Do you agree this is also a useful assumption to make in order to analyze the problem?

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
We need to be sure the small blockers have a resounding victory now, otherwise defeat in that upcoming battle is inevitable and then Bitcoin will fail in the long term. To repeat again, the existing rules may lose, but I think its worth a fight.
You are guaranteed to fail, because you're using stupid arguments and everybody can see it.

It's a great thing in general to stand for principles, but there's no honour in choosing self-contradictory principles to stand for.

Hardforks are fine, it is contentious hardforks which must be avoided.
There's no such thing as a contentious hard fork, nor could there ever be one.

Anyone who disagrees with a hard fork merely need to not upgrade their software and they are utterly unaffected by it as far as the integrity of their chosen ledger is concerned.

(A potental sudden loss of network effect for a user's chosen ledger due to other users choosing another ledger is a situation about which they have zero valid reason to complain)

Hard forks can't be contentious, but people can be. You are being contentious for the sake of being contentious because you've convinced yourself that Bitcoin needs circular arguments to survive.

Look in the mirror. The problem isn't the hard fork - the problem is you.

Please try to understand our point of view. If you do not understand, then you will probably think we are stupid.
The fact that I demonstrated that I do understand your arguments, and explained precisely why they are not capable of achieving your stated goals, and you choose to respond as if I explained none of those things is the reason I have to struggle even to pretend to believe for the sake of argument that you're being sincere.

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
3. Without a block size limit, orphan risk is guaranteed to be large compared to miner's revenue

You state this as fact, yet it is pure speculation. You seem to think it follows as a logical consequence of #1 but it doesn't. For a given set of network conditions (i.e., propagation impedances), the orphan risk depends on the size of the block. The size of the block depends on the fees offered by the transactions in mempool. So the block size--and thus the orphan risk--will only be high if the miner's mempool contains a large amount of high fee-paying transactions. In other words, the orphan risk at a given point in time will depend on demand. Since you don't know what demand will be, your statement that "orphan risk is guaranteed to be large compared to miner's revenue" is clearly false.
It is a logical consequence from 1 in itself, but also the other idea about wallets lowering fees to just over the expected marginal orphan rate cost. Each of these two things on their own are enough to cause the problem.

Looking at 1 alone, as we have discussed before, the proportion of orphan risk costs relative to miner revenue depends on how miners marginal orphan rate cost curve adjusts as more transactions are added. If it is a straight line, as in the marginal orphan risk cost per byte does not get larger as the blocksize increases, then the problem is likely to be bad. If the marginal orphan risk cost per byte gets larger as the blocksize increases, then miners can make more profit. However, whatever the shape of the curve, it is highly likely that orphan risk cost will be significant relative to fee revenue.

Anyway, this is all based on the assumption of a high level of competition. I look at this problem from the angle of ensuring the network is resilient. You seem to say my argument is not a logical consequence of #1, which may be true for some shapes of the marginal cost curve that I have not seen. However, we need to ensure the network is resilient for all feasible shapes of the cost curve.

What do I think network orphan rates would be in 2020 without a block size limit? My hunch is around 1 - 2% as they've been for the last 7.5 years, but they could be more or they could be less. The point is that no one knows (furthermore, optimistic mining serves as a counterbalance to reduce network orphan rates should they begin to increase above a few percent).
No idea. I am optimistic, I think they will fall from current levels as technology improves. Even with no blocksize limit, by 2020 as the block reward may still be significant, we should be fine.
[doublepost=1469333635,1469332495][/doublepost]

If orphan risk cost is 50% of miner revenue, then half the 'solved' blocks are being orphaned, no? Or do you have some other definition of 'orphan risk cost'?
Can you explain how orphan risk could be 50% of miner revenue and the orphan rate not also be very high?
The point is whenever I raise this point, large blockers tend to respond by looking at the problem from one angle. They say, the orphan rate will be low or they say revenue will be high. To understand my point you need to look at both things at the same time and think of the dynamics which drive them and the ratio between them.

It is actually possible (admittedly in an extreme convoluted example) to have a 1.2% orphan rate and a 50% ratio between orphan risk costs and revenue.

For example:
  • No blocksize limit
  • No block reward
  • 50 block period
  • 49x 1MB blocks with 0% orphan risk (as miners are worried about orphan risk)
  • 1x 500MB blocks with 62% orphan risk
  • 500MB block has 200x the fees of a typical 1MB block
  • Let the typical revenue in a 1MB block be $100
Results in 50 block period:
  • Orphan rate = 49/50 * 0% + 1/50 * 62%* = 1.24%
  • Total mining revenue = 49* $100 + 200 * $100 = $24,900
  • Total orphan risk cost = 0% * 49 * $100 + 62% * 200 * $100 = $12,400
  • Orphan risk cost / mining revenue = $12,400/$24,900 = 50%
* Perhaps this figure would need to be higher.

The point is the dynamic is complicated, and it is possible to have a low orphan rate and the ratio of orphan risk / fee revenue to be high.
[doublepost=1469334613][/doublepost]
es, but a single 'miner' is often geographically distributed itself - not in the same location.
Ok. So what? The point is it increases centralization pressure by geography
[doublepost=1469334735][/doublepost]
You are correct - I no not understand your point. Why do you think that the point where marginal orphaning risk is equal to marginal additional fee has anything to do with the point where absolute orphan risk cost is equal to absolute income?
I have drawn these curves out. The shape of the marginal orphan risk cost curve determines the proportion of orphan risk cost relative to fee revenue. For almost any shape of curve the proportion is high.
[doublepost=1469334927][/doublepost]
But any change is ok as long as it is a soft fork?
No. Technically softforks can be pushed on the networks by miners. If they make a bad change that is a potential problem, but hopefully they have the right incentives not to do that. A softfork can be powerful as it can potentially block all transactions. However, from the point of view of an existing node, only a hardfork can steal funds or increase the 21M cap. Luckily by design miners cannot impose a HF on us.
[doublepost=1469335074][/doublepost]
Anyone who disagrees with a hard fork merely need to not upgrade their software and they are utterly unaffected by it as far as the integrity of their chosen ledger is concerned.
That is exactly what the c85% of the node operators who are small blockers have done. What are you complaining about then?

Apart from "immoral tactics", despite the fact both sides have engaged in almost exactly the same tactics.

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
I cannot fathom how this "orphan risk cost" would work in practice. SInce production of blocks is a variable time measured in minutes, not miliseconds, then how could miners decide to add/ignore txn that take microseconds to append? and how could adding one txn be remotely linked to the loss of one block reward (+fees)?
Indeed, it seems strange at first.
But let's play a hypothetical game, just you and me.

We each get a bucket with 1000 words in it.
One of the words in the bucket is 'STOP'.

We play an open-ended game of rounds. Each round consists of

1. put all 1000 words in your bucket, and randomly shuffle them (shake the buckets)
2. in turn, we pick a word out of our buckets
3. whoever pulls 'STOP' out of his bucket first wins the round, and the number of words he has picked until then is added to his score
4. you can also say 'STOP' without actually having found it, but then your score is only incremented by only HALF the words you picked until then (rounded down to 0 if need be)

This game seems only vaguely similar to mining, because it is abstracted and modified a little to make it more humanly interesting :)
But would you agree that there is a cost for you to try to add a word to your score?

Consider also how the (real) Bitcoin mining game would look like if there was practically unlimited block space, and consequently a very small mempool, and you would practically have to wait some small time (some microseconds perhaps) for new paying transactions to arrive.
[doublepost=1469343116,1469342246][/doublepost]Supposedly (according to /u/maaku7) the text of the "agreement" to be signed before the Core-hosted social event in California:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Core has even @jonny1000 confused:

but good news - by dint of circular logic, /u/maaku7 can be persuaded that someone who was at the meeting is less confused than him

I sense a formation of confusion consensus somewhere.

P.S. thanks guys for providing me with my Sunday entertainment already. Now I feel I can get back to work.

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
Yes I do support full blocks. I am not now nor have I ever hid that. I want full blocks. I consider full blocks an inevitability. The Blockchain provides a unique storage proposition and at a low enough price demand will be unlimited. To avoid this we need a relevant limit such that users need to outbid each other to get into the chain, exactly as Satoshi intended:
Yes, but the limit will be defined by the market (users, nodes, miners - Bitcoin Unlimited) not by the Politbüro. The Politbüro is just a fraction of the market. And Satoshi's post does not claim that full blocks are intended.

Last edited:

albin

Nov 8, 2015
Oh crap, I just commented on /r/bitcoin without realizing it wasn't /r/btc!

This feels like driving along and a cop pulling out behind you obviously following looking for something, and the tension of wondering if he's going to flip the sirens at some point.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Something something ethics in business

Source: "Miner in World" wechat group, apparently (single source multiple confirmations)
Alternate screenshot (incl. Chinese version): http://i.imgur.com/TBPfUod.jpg

https://np.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/4ucgia/i_am_chandler_guo_a_51_attack_on_ethereum_classic/

https://np.reddit.com/r/EthereumClassic/comments/4ucfp8/i_am_chandler_guo_a_51_attack_on_ethereum_classic/

Spending some money to scale Bitcoin? No, why the heck would anyone want to do that...

EDIT: also confirmed on his Twitter:
~~~{~{@ X @}~}~~~

A good article about how banks are pushing the responsibility for losses onto their customers:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/current-accounts/how-banks-are-refusing-to-shoulder-responsibility-for-fraud/

Someone made an apt comparison to the automotive industry.
In their early days, they had a massive PR problem - their products were killing people, including lots of children who were playing in the street. And it was clearly the fault of the car industry.

So the motor industry decided that in order to resolve this, the road should belong to cars, not to people. Those who were on the road were deemed to be irresponsible. Not just irresponsible, no, they are committing a civil violation! For this reason, the corpus delicti of 'jaywalking' was invented.
This blog post (rather, the associated MP3 podcast) goes into the historical detail and etymology. The podcast contains fascinating psychological background to how this battle was fought and won.

Last edited:

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
@jonny1000
No, I never said the richest and most powerful, I want it to be any significant minority. Preventing a change is not control, this feature prevents anyone being in control.
Well you took my original message out of context, but not to matter you've committed the same nonsense logic again.
"preventing change is not control" This is some damn sinister Orwellian doubletspeak. If any small minority can prevent change they ARE in control, because inaction is a choice.

So now we've ruled out the possibility of letting a small minority being in control, you also say 'prevents anyone being in control' . This point at least has merit, but as Justus points out, it's impossible. This is open source code AKA free speech, people will write and run the code they see as best, so the free market is in charge. It's this very fact that eventually allows for users collective best interests to be realised. Fighting it, is at best a fools errand and at worst pure evil.

It's almost like you don't want a decentralised system. ;-)
Hint if you don't want anyone to be in control of a decentralised network the best defence is to allow everyone to be in control.

Q: if you're building a global monetary system and want a small minority to have veto power on change, who do you think that small minority will eventually be? Clue.... They own all the bombs and guns.

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
That is exactly what the c85% of the node operators who are small blockers have done. What are you complaining about then?

Apart from "immoral tactics", despite the fact both sides have engaged in almost exactly the same tactics.
This is precisely why there can be no such thing as a contentious hard fork.

Nodes that do not wish to participate in the fork can not be forced to do so. The amount of effort needed to resist a malicious hard fork is zero, thus your actions are utterly incomprehensible if taken at face value.

Do you not see why the small blockers are fighting so hard here? We see this as a practice or test case for an inevitable battle over the block reward or confiscation of funds in 10, 20 or 30 years time. We need to be sure the small blockers have a resounding victory now, otherwise defeat in that upcoming battle is inevitable and then Bitcoin will fail in the long term. To repeat again, the existing rules may lose, but I think its worth a fight.
If you really cared about that, you would direct all your efforts at the real danger: soft forks.

Hard forks can never affect a node that does not choose to participate, but soft forks are undetectable. They are the real existential danger.

If you're worried about protecting the integrity of the currency supply you should be doing everything in your power to establish that changing consensus rules via a soft fork is beyond the pale. You should ostracise any developer who proposes it and denounce any software that facilitates it as malware.

Instead, you're doing the opposite. This means one of two things:

1. You're lying about your intentions.
  2. You're so incompetent that you're a danger to yourself and others.

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Apparently it will be listed (ETHC) on finex, too.

Orchestrated IMO, my eth are swapped out and for 48 hours the swap lending rates have been skyrocketing.

Free market should kill the rump chain off quickly. Wouldn't surprise me if the usual suspects are linked to this. Make a big noise about a failed hard fork then meet with miners later this month. All smells very fishy to me.