Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@rocks

It seems correct that giving control to parties where there is no way to guarantee protection from attacks is a problem, unless the control is of an illusory sort (for example, a bunch of nodes can be cooked up and choose not to relay a block, but does that Sybil attack really work if there remain plenty of nodes that will relay the block? Maybe the leeching makes it a problem, as you say; so many factors to think about here, really need a visual aid).

That said, if the only thing holding nodes back from doing such bad things right now is that the settings are difficult for users to adjust, I don't think making it easier for users to adjust really introduces a vulnerability. It just brings an existing vulnerability to the fore, so it can be dealt with earlier on.

Reactions: AdrianX

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Looks like we are settling on unlimited defaults with ability to configure. But we should come up quickly with some formal decision making process both to put issues to rest and so rocks can see that his point of view is considered by all. After all I think we are all here because this did not happen in core.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Another matter is that probably someone will release both versions: unlimited/easy-to-configure and unlimited/hard-to-configure. Which devs get behind which version may be the deciding factor in determining which is more popular.

However, since BU tracks consensus by default, does it really matter if user choice is fragmented between the two versions? It seems different than the fragmentation issue with BIP100 vs. BIP101, where the effective "vote" for smaller blocks is diluted.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
i think getting BU acceptance by the community will be easier with the single change unlimited version w/o configuration ala the original satoshi code.

molecular

Aug 31, 2015
I have a question: who took down the btctalk "gold collapsing bitcoin up" thread and was a reason given for the deletion?

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
What do you mean by "took down"?

I'm still able to access it.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
i think getting BU acceptance by the community will be easier with the single change unlimited version w/o configuration ala the original satoshi code.
Is it possible for the configuration option to be released as something like a mod/skin on Core (or BU or XT)? Like if you already have Core/XT/BU, you can download a separate program or plug-in whose only function is to let you easily configure the blocksize limit.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
BadBear with theymos blessing.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@Peter R

So I just went back and looked for one of my last posts in the thread where I calculated that the thread had recently doubled from 3500 to over 7000 views per day because of the reddit censoring.

It's been deleted.

That was a tactical mistake on my part in retrospect.
[doublepost=1445733718,1445732651][/doublepost][doublepost=1445733949][/doublepost]

Last edited:

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Interesting chart of the gold/silver ratio (gold line & right axis), and silver price (silver line & left axis) looks moderately bullish for silver. A similar ratio in 1996 did not spell a silver rally, but the shaky state of the world financial system might be enough to jump-start it this time.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@solex

I sure hope not ;)

My ZSL short is locked and loaded.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
I love these types of breakouts.

Just smash through all the negativity and disbelief.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@cypherdoc : Yeah, it was a made up reason; The Wall Observer thread is equally broad in scope but was not locked. In my opinion, the thread was locked because it was getting so many views per day and because most of the thread's participants were pro bigger blocks and pro development decentralization.
yip it sure looked that way when he locked it. It got moved soon after @cypherdoc mentioned the page views, very soon after it was locked. I thing theymos saw it as a Pandora's box, and the trolls were making an @$$ of themselves which wasn't helping there position.