Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Mengerian

Staff member
Aug 29, 2015
Good idea. Problems:
-Anyone can run a node. It makes little difference how many nodes support what protocol choices.
-There's a big barrier to running an exchange, and an exchange has no direct say in the protocol.
-Only miners matter.
I didn't mean to suggest that people try to start up exchanges. Just that those already running exchanges who want bigger blocks, like Erik Voorhees or Brian Armstrong, could take actions to pave the way for bigger blocks without waiting for miners.

Not all non-mining nodes matter that much, but some can have a big impact. For instance the policy choice supported by the nodes that Coinbase runs could make a big difference.

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
Actual situation within this 11 Billion Open Source Project: People are waiting for Jihan Wu who is waiting until July for the 500KB-Luke to deliver a 2MB HF with activation in summer 2017(!) while the mempool is exploding today! Other pool administrators and operators are doing even less....

They should have acted already a long time ago. Since they have not, they should act now, but they still don't.

Last edited:

bluemoon

Jan 15, 2016
Actual situation within this 11 Billion Open Source Project: People are waiting for Jihan Wu who is waiting until July for the 500KB-Luke to deliver a 2MB HF with activation in summer 2017(!) while the mempool is exploding today!. Other pool administrators and operators are doing even less....

They should have acted already a long time ago. Since they have not, they should act now, but they still don't.
It is bizarre.

The right thing to do seems so obvious that I can't help wondering what hidden force is at work.

But maybe there isn't one. Maybe what we see is all there is?

awemany

Aug 19, 2015
What I really do not get - as I stated many times - is the miners.

I mean: Switch on the support flag for Classic's HF and be done. What could possibly happen to you?

As we are not - supposedly - under a 50% attack, it will also be no single miner who will be 'held responsible' for the hard fork.

It is just voting on the block chain for meta rules - as it should be.

The miners mostly - Jihan excepted to some extend - seem to still live in a bubble.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
I think this is simply the situation as perplexing as it is. I too have been surprised at the effectiveness of the political tactics small blockists have pulled as dirty and vicious as they have been. And censorship has worked to a degree.

But alas, it won't work in the long run. There are too many of us who understand what is going on.

It is bizarre.

The right thing to do seems so obvious that I can't help wondering what hidden force is at work.

But maybe there isn't one. Maybe what we see is all there is?
I

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
Whose idea was the block size limit? I know Satoshi himself put it in the code but it didn't sound like it was his idea. Or if it was, the concerns about a possible attack weren't.

Dusty

Mar 14, 2016
Since in that period blocks was mostly empty, most of transactions had no fees so someone could easily do a spam attack creating blocks full of stuff. If I'm not mistaken satoshi himself put a "temporary 1mb limit" to avoid the possibility to create arbitrarily large blocks without expense.
[doublepost=1466081289][/doublepost]And please note that in 2010 1MB block was considered "small enough" that even if always full would give no problem to be handled.

Funnily enough, 6 years later, with code and tech 1000 times faster, someone thinks that 1MB is too much.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
Whose idea was the block size limit? I know Satoshi himself put it in the code but it didn't sound like it was his idea. Or if it was, the concerns about a possible attack weren't.
if memory serves it was proposed by Hal Finney.

Other significant work by Hal was the review of script opcodes. As a result a bunch of "dangerous" opcodes had been disabled.

Erdogan

Aug 30, 2015
Actual situation within this 11 Billion Open Source Project: People are waiting for Jihan Wu who is waiting until July for the 500KB-Luke to deliver a 2MB HF with activation in summer 2017(!) while the mempool is exploding today!. Other pool administrators and operators are doing even less....

Give them the time they need. At least we now know that the system is resilient on the edge of its capacity. Good to know for the future.