Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Peter Tschipper

Jan 8, 2016
@sickpig basically the targeting works by getting the tx hashes that would be included if a block were mined right now out of your mempool. I used the code in the miner.cpp to use as a starting point and stripped out anything not needed. So I look for first of all the most high priority tx's and get those hashes, then get tx's filtered by fee or "score" and get those hashes..i also get any children or parents of those tx's...just like when mining a new block...however i cut a wider range, since miners don't necessarily follow what core has put in their code (i'm finding)...so we end up filling up hashes for the size of a full block, separately, for high fee, and then also for high priority...and then delete any hashes that are common between the two groups. So that's the targeting process...then after that we just build the filter.

bluemoon

Jan 15, 2016
Seems Core disowns the HK agreement:

Peter Todd says he "probably lead the agreement on the dev side".

...and given those at HK have no authority to speak for others, people should recognize that the agreement is a statement of intent. To the extent that I lead it, I designed it around something that I expected others may agree too. In other words, the text of the agreement is definitely not a binding agreement on Bitcoin Core as a whole, but rather what I thought was a reasonable proposal that others may also choose to join.

Technical issues aside, creating drama around this - "we will accept nothing other than segwit+hf" - makes it very unlikely that others will want to join in on the HF proposal, rendering it ineffective.​

What I wonder do @Jihan and the other miners think about that?

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
You just beat me to it.

What a bunch of untrustworthy cunts.
[doublepost=1464962229][/doublepost]I think it was /u/Vigkw6nvi, or whatever his name is, that said he'd never trust kore dev to mow his lawn. I couldn't agree more.
[doublepost=1464963102,1464962071][/doublepost]

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
Which attitude do you think is better to ensure long term success? Being paranoid about vulnerabilities and fragility, and always looking to improve resilience. Or being complacent and overconfident about the strengths of the system? Which is the side you would rather we lean towards? What is more healthy?
If Bitcoin isn't capable of surviving the slings and arrows etc, it doesn't deserve to survive and I will give a sincere "nice try" as we wave it goodbye and move on to the next thing.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
This comment supports my supposition of a few weeks ago about who and where the problem precisely lies (no pun intended); Maxwell.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
What I wonder do @Jihan and the other miners think about that?
You mean because a bunch of leaders of multi-million dollar companies made agreements with, effectively, some dweebs living in their mom's basement rather than the governing body of an 8billion dollar market cap commodity? And those dweebs get pissy with those leaders when they show signs of wavering?

You couldn't write this stuff...

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
If we split into two and there is a significant dispute about which chain is Bitcoin, market participants may give up and divest.
1) Fork futures trading ensures - well in advance of the split - that there is no dispute. In fact, if the market caps in futures trading were so near equal that there could be a dispute (from the typical bitcoiner's or general public's perspective), and the market deemed that a problem, the market would tip toward one or the other. The market won't do anything dumb, at least over time; that's the whole idea of Bitcoin in a sense. (I know this is only true in the forkist view, opposite to the one you probably still hold. The point is all the pieces of the forkist worldview fit together coherently as well. You kind of have to try them all on for size at once to evaluate the paradigm.)

2) "Investors may be confused" only applies if there are two persistent chains that are nearly equal in value. If there is a major difference, the minority chain will just be ignored in most cases, by most merchants, etc. It will have a little niche community. If this seems unrealistic, just realize that it seems that way exactly because it is highly unlikely the market would make two persistent chains with any significant value in the minority one. It is even more unlikely that the market would allow for two chains of nearly equal value, partly because it would confuse investors (if it really would; I trust the market to decide that more than my own judgment).

In other words, the simple answer is, "If it's a bad idea to have two persistent chains, the market wouldn't do that." If this makes the market seem like too powerful an intelligence, note that this is already the intelligence that Bitcoin relies on to maintain its value anyway (the purple text above applies here again).

Let me try and put it this way then.
Which attitude do you think is better to ensure long term success? Being paranoid about vulnerabilities and fragility, and always looking to improve resilience. Or being complacent and overconfident about the strengths of the system? Which is the side you would rather we lean towards? What is more healthy?

The truth is of course that we need balance. People like GMax have played an extremely important and crucial role, in identifying risks and advocating a cautious stance. Please respect that this is a valid and important part of the community.
I very much agree that people like Gmax have their place, and caution as a general heuristic is great - it is great to have a plurality of views for the market to consider, all debating furiously. The harrowingness of the debate makes it feel hopeless, but in fact that is the very thing that should give us hope. We should only feel things are going south when people barely lift a finger to debate anymore and people aren't angry and vicious and weasley.

The problem right now is that people like Gmax have too much power, because enough investors conceptualize the situation much as you do, which goes hand in hand with more reliance on a central group of devs to help keep consensus (I know it's not necessary and you are open to Classic with 95% threshold, but I see a strong connection in the minds of many).

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
My bad. I got his paid travel costs mixed up with Scaling 2 in HK. I apologized.
I think I understand where you are coming from. You are so convinced that you are right and you feel the evidence supports your view on the scaling/capacity issue so much, that you find it very hard to believe others genuinely hold an opposing view. You therefore assume trolling, bad faith or a conflict of interest.

Please try to keep an open mind. I promise you, that almost all of those on the other side of the debate to you are acting in good faith and genuinely acting in what they consider to be the best interests of the system, whether rightly or wrongly, from a well thought out and carefully considered position.

N.B. My costs for Scaling 2 were paid by the conference sponsors, Blockstream was not the only sponsor. Companies listed as supporters on the Classic website were also listed as sponsors of the conference. For example KNC, OKCoin and Bitmain.

Last edited: