Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
actually that post by gmax above isolates down to exactly where the problem is, which i've articulated before: Maxwell. at least you gotta give it to Back, Todd, Luke, Corallo that they eventually tried to compromise, which is now hitting the fan in terms of the 2MBHF. that's a good thing and may provide a window for large blockists to get what they want (2MB), the trick being to not shove in a bunch of other anti-competitive crap like an anti-ASICBoost or some such nefarious core dev Trojan Horse. back to Maxwell. he is the source of the problem and has identified himself as an Extremist Extraordinaire. even our beloved @jonny1000 has called him an Extremist. a huge ego who acts like an authoritarian and who has been caught lying, bullying, and cheating numerous times over the last many years which is well documented. this goes all the way back to the PressCenter.org debate where i, Andreas, and a few other souls had to take that prick to task for unreasonable exclusionary behavior:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=181168.msg1973084#msg1973084

this is the guy, who when push came to shove, he chose Blockstream, not Bitcoin. this is also the guy who took credit for Gavin's github commits for many years until @awemany had to call him out. this is the guy who has an extortionist bounty on me which he'll gladly take down if i pay him BTC which he has no right to and which is based on faulty assumptions. this is the guy who's BCT rating system is filled with both positives and negatives while his fellow core devs don't even bother with such pettiness. he's never believed in Bitcoin's ability to scale nor be decentralized. his actions and willingness to be paid off with fiat thru Blockstream and enforce 1MB is an attempt to make this self fulfilling and profit off alternative solns.

if we can get him out, this would be very beneficial for Bitcoin.
[doublepost=1463853530][/doublepost]
The point I am trying to get at is that your approach of "defeating the attack" puts you in a position where you have to try to convince other people to change their beliefs and behaviors.

This, I would contend, is bound to lead you to frustration.
yes, this is a very good post. it is a variation of the ol' hit 'em with a stick vs. offer 'em a carrot.
It would be much better to focus on approaches where you can work towards your goals through your own actions, and the cooperation of like-minded people. In other words, instead of trying to "defeat the attack", try to build a system that can achieve your ends while being resilient to attack. Accept that the misguided "attackers" will do their thing and route around them.
exactly. upgrade Core so that it appeals to the economic majority that will then ignore Classic. i'd argue that means lifting the block limit now to solve tx delay problems that are proliferating across the user base.
If everyone had to agree on a set of principles or and ideology for Bitcoin to achieve consensus, then I would have little hope in its future. The thing that makes the system so powerful is that it can achieve strong consensus through economic incentives that encourage convergence on a set of Schelling points. Bitcoin relies not on good will or enlightened participants, but on incentives.

The 1MB block size limit is a strong Schelling point that the network has converged on. Right now if a miner were to mine a block larger than 1MB, it would have roughly 100% chance of being orphaned. They won't do this because mining requires the sacrifice of real world resources to produce the proof of work. So miners who want to produce larger blocks have a huge incentive to coordinate with others before working on a fork. Even if BIP 109 were to "activate", a fork would not occur until a miner changes his block generation settings to produce a block larger than 1MB. This daring first miner who produces a larger block also has to spend real money to produce the block, so will likely do so carefully. Miners may very well choose to keep producing <1MB blocks even after BIP 109 activates, with no fork until they are confident that the vast majority of nodes, exchanges, and businesses will follow the new fork.
this is what i've called the "tiptoe" approach of block mining once the block limit gets lifted. no miner will want to get too far ahead of the pack in terms of blocksize for fear of getting orphaned. we've discussed the technicals of how that might happen here in this thread before.
I'll also reiterate what the others have said, thanks for sticking it out here while being bombarded with arguments. I appreciate the different point of view!
i too appreciate the alternative views from @jonny1000

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Non bitcoin question for the mathematically inclined.
Imagine two spheres of equal size (r1=r2). You draw a line connecting the centre of both spheres (d) and then move the spheres together such that they intersect and eventually occupy the same volume.

If you were to plot intersected volume vs d on a graph what would it look like? The reason I ask is I have modelled this with a python script and i'm not sure it is correct. I thought it would be less linear than this..

Any thoughts? (i'll delete this from the thread later.)

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
actually that post by gmax above isolates down to exactly where the problem is, which i've articulated before: Maxwell.
This made me quip to myself, "The Maxwell. This foe is beyond any of you!"

If attacks make antifragile systems stronger, how do you kill an antifragile system? By attacking it too hard, too suddenly, from too many angles. We have a sudden "perfect storm" of Gavin relinquishing Core, Maxwell effectively taking over, huge VC interest in exactly the wrong place, ASICs still in concentration phase (pre-commodification), Theymos, and the first semi-serious altcoin competition. Besides mining concentration, none of these things were an issue before.

We would have expected the pace and degree of challenges to rise and fall, sometimes coming in bursts, with Bitcoin faltering the most at those bursty times and the possibility of Bitcoin being superseded looming larger than ever before at those times as well. If Bitcoin makes it through, it gains immense strength for the next order of magnitude of price growth. If it doesn't, it may perish here, though "there's a lot of fail in a nation" and likewise I bet there's a lot of fail in a cryptocurrency. Meaning: it may be very surprising how dire things can get before Bitcoin (its ledger) is lost, and as we approach that point more and more people will come to their senses and the situation becomes radically indeterminate as this self-limiting feedback loop meets the self-reinforcing feedback loop of network effect loss.

But why now? Why did these master manipulators (and their followers), overbearing censors, well-heeled questionable VCs, and high-falutin well-marketed altcoins come out of the woodwork all at once?

I think there's an obvious answer. Why is this snake dealing with this giant bulge?

Because it had a giant meal. Bitcoin had a giant meal in 2013. The price rose almost two orders of magnitude in a single year, bringing Bitcoin to a whole new level replete with new dangers. Although there was a time lag, those dangers are now washing ashore at full force. The price rose in a huge surge, so the threats are mounting in a huge surge.

It's no accident that Core was taken over by the kinds of people it was and that the other elements of this perfect storm have aligned. It was the next challenge Bitcoin had to face, in fact a string of next challenges, and thanks to the incredible price rise we are now processing an incredibly large rodent in Bitcoin's belly, so to speak.

If Bitcoin manages to avoid getting eaten by an opportunistic predator while it is slowed down by the digestive process of dealing with Core/BS/Theymos, it will end up stronger than ever. Basically the binary bet is at its most intense right now: the chance of going to zero is highest now, but the magnitude of the sudden giant gains if we learn to deal with the governance threat is also at its highest now.

This is the first big boss battle of Bitcoin's "hero's journey."

Last edited:

go1111111

@jonny1000
Interesting perspective that Core effectively cannot raise the blocksize until Classic is defeated. I'll have to wrap my head around that to see whether it makes sense.
If anyone keeps logs of #bitcoin on IRC, you can see a very clear example of this mindset. The channel is not publicly logged, search for the following quotes (from a Core dev) to see a disturbing discussion:

"if the initial plan for a hardfork was a one time raise to 2MB there would hardly be any controversy"

"they tried the same with XT, I see this as just XT2"

"Maybe the only meaningful thing to do is just stand our ground"

It seems clear that at least this Core dev sees this as a battle. He's not evaluating the block size proposals on the technical merits, he's treating them as moves by his enemy that have to be thwarted.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
That has to be Maxwell, until corrected.

Reactions: Norway

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@Inca @lunar
Didn't check lunars formula, but I assume it's ok. I wouldn't assume it if I depended on it like you, Inca. Check for yourself. It's saturday, and I have had my drinks.

So... cheers lads! Brothers in arms! May the evil transaction chokers of AXA, Bilderberg, CIA and all bitcoin companies related to these forces burn in hell!

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
If Bitcoin makes it through, it gains immense strength for the next order of magnitude of price growth. If it doesn't, it may perish here, though "there's a lot of fail in a nation" and likewise I bet there's a lot of fail in a cryptocurrency. Meaning: it may be very surprising how dire things can get before Bitcoin (its ledger) is lost, and as we approach that point more and more people will come to their senses and the situation becomes radically indeterminate as this self-limiting feedback loop meets the self-reinforcing feedback loop of network effect loss.
Great points in this thread as usual. A couple of thoughts.

I believe that Bitcoin has reached a critical mass that it will never perish completely. The risk is that it is perpetually weakened by a thousand cuts, i.e. merchants, exchanges etc one-by one supporting alternate crypto and users following on. Bitcoin's network effect is everything and this is what the 1MBers are putting on the roulette wheel gambling that their off-chain solutions kick in at the right time. Unfortunately, the right time was late last year. Off-chain & scaling-like solutions (LN, SW, sidechains) are not taking enough slack. Looks like internecine squabbles in Core are starting to happen as they slowly realise the damage being caused to Bitcoin's reputation and usability.

Regarding the 75% mining threshold + 28 day grace period vis-a-vis 95% threshold. In practice they amount to a similar result, 95% switching over before the first >1MB is mined. The difference is that a target of 75% is achievable as this is a 3:1 majority, and 20% would switch in the grace period seeing the writing on the wall. An up-front target of 95% won't happen as this requires a 19:1 majority and there is too much polarization in the debate for that level of consensus.

Last edited:

Norway

Sep 29, 2015

THE CHOKEHOLD
At the moment, I have Tradeblock.com constantly open to watch the mempool size. Because it's the most obvious data related to why bitco.in was created.

The chokehold is not meaningless. It's a strategy by people who gain from containing bitcoin in the kindergarten.

Norway

Sep 29, 2015

Most of us know this quote from Mahatma Gandhi:

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

We are at "then they fight you". And we have been there for more than a year.

They are attacking the single point of failiure. The developers.

But that's the beauty. Even the devs are disposable. Satoshi (mr. Wright?) made it open source. It will evolve and adapt. The enemy is more focused, organized and wealthy. But we have the long term strategy on our side. Time is on our side.

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
@Inca @Norway
The formula link we both cited is from the same source. The solution is a special case (both spheres are of equal dimensions). I haven't checked from first principles, but I'd probably start by assigning R as 1 and solve for various decreasing values of d ( initially 2R). Should give you the curve you need.

Still if it's important I wouldn't trust a drunken Lunar on a full moon, calculating the volume of intersecting spherical cows in a vacuum :rolleyes:

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
@jonny1000 claiming the 1mb rule is a fundamental part of the 'golden rules' which guide the bitcoin protocol is ridiculous.

Read the white paper. I don't recall a single message or comment where Satoshi says he has designed this really great system which will grow organically for 7 years then reach an artificial capacity limit based around a constant introduced as a temporary anti-spam feature.

Of course the reason it isn't in the white paper is because it was introduced 2 years later as a temporary measure against early attack. At that stage the proposed maximum blocksize was 10,000 times higher than actual block sizes and the technical characteristics of the bitcoin network today and the internet infrastructure supporting it was completely unknown.
This is all true. But he's basically correct. The 1MB limit was introduced as an uncontentious hard-fork and could easily have been removed as a hard fork anytime blocks were still below around 200K and possibly for sometime since.

The key achievement of the f*ckers at Blockstream was stringing everyone along long enough that a hard fork would fork the blockchain and lead to problems for many nodes (that would, in truth, sort themselves out pretty quickly). In this respect, a purposeful full fork would probably actually be the preferential option. Whatever happened to Rocks?

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
@jonny1000 claiming the 1mb rule is a fundamental part of the 'golden rules' which guide the bitcoin protocol is ridiculous.
I am not claiming the 1MB is a fundamental rule, or a golden rule. I am merely aserting a fact, which is that the 1MB limit is an ACTUAL rule.

If SW was not contentious, then Blockstream Core's intention was simply to persuade the miners not to run Classic, ever.
It is not Blockstream or Core, it was simply the people present at the meeting. The people present acted in a way that many members of both Blockstream and the Core team were extremely unhappy with and did not approve of. It is true the intention of the developers present was to prevent miners running Classic.

So what had Blockstream Core tried offering the miners before conceding the HF?
The offering of the hardfork happened early on. The discussion then focused on the language of the hardfork, for example should it say “around” 2MB, “effectively” 8MB, “greater than” 2MB, 2MB or “at least” 1.8MB.

no wonder Core see every competing implementation as a threat
It is clear Blockstream Core are determined above all to maintain control of the reference bitcoin client
That is not true at all, this issue is about preventing a hardfork without strong consensus. In my eyes, and the eyes of other small blockers, that issue is entirely orthogonal to control of the development of the reference client. Anyone is free to build a new compatible client and gain market share.

if they were not concerned they would have brought forward a HF to effect this long ago and there would never have been any 'attack'.
If anyone keeps logs of #bitcoin on IRC, you can see a very clear example of this mindset. The channel is not publicly logged, search for the following quotes (from a Core dev) to see a disturbing discussion:

"if the initial plan for a hardfork was a one time raise to 2MB there would hardly be any controversy"

"they tried the same with XT, I see this as just XT2"

"Maybe the only meaningful thing to do is just stand our ground"
As I have explained many times, Core has not had a opportunity to do a responsible HF, due to the attacks.

Gavin put forward a proposal for a 20MB limit in an appropriate way in early May 2015. The lead maintainer of Bitcoin Core, Wlad, said he was “weakly against” the idea “in the near future”, in a balanced neutral comment with pros and cons.

Source: https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-May/007890.html

This gave Gavin the opportunity for a more moderate proposal. I told him that I greatly respected him would support him up to 10MB, but that 20MB was too large. Had Gavin come forward, at this point, with a 4MB proposal, to come into effect in May 2016, it would have been resoundingly accepted. This is what I thought Gavin would do. However, he absolutely astonished me by bringing forward an idea of locking in 8GB blocks. Not only this but he was attempting to activate this without strong consensus and instead preferred to lock in 25% miner opposition at the time of activation. This move was interpreted as an attack by the economic majority and had the effect of greatly delaying any blocksize increase. Implementing an increase with consensus was never given a chance. I repeat again, “all we saying, is give strong consensus a chance”.

So now we need consensus on the need for consensus before we can have consensus on the actual change?
Not necessarily no, as long as we have strong consensus for the change that should be fine, even if some people incorrectly think that is not necessary.
[doublepost=1463890129][/doublepost]

I credit you heartily for staying civil in the face of opposition to your view.
I appreciate the dialogue, @jonny1000
I'll also reiterate what the others have said, thanks for sticking it out here while being bombarded with arguments. I appreciate the different point of view!
i too appreciate the alternative views from @jonny1000
Thankyou. I am totally fine with people opposing my view. The things that I feel make the conversation difficult to continue are the following:

1. Claims I am Adam Back

2. Claims I have a financial link to Blockstream

3. Claims that Blockstream have nefarious self interest in profiting from LN, which is why they are blocking a HF

4. Unnecessarily questioning the integrity of my character

If some of you large blocksists disagree with the above, please speak out. In the same way as I have questioned the moderation policy on /r/bitcoin.

But it would make me feel a lot better if Core adherents, small block supporters, and those who oppose controversial hard forks would acknowledge that there is altcoin competition, and that that means Bitcoin cannot afford to be as conservative
I do acknowledge altcoin competition. This is one of the many reasons I support a moderate increase in the blocksize, with strong consensus (which by the way is pretty easy to achieve, once we try). I think ensuring changes to money can’t occur without strong consensus is one of the key selling points of Bitcoin and will ensure its success.

WHAT WOULD A SOFT-FORKING CHANGE FROM 2MB BACK TO 1MB LOOK LIKE?

Ans
. Miners would coordinate some time in the future, t0, where they agree to no longer build on top of blocks greater than 1MB; that is, at time t = t0 they would enforce a more-restrictive rule set.

Non-mining nodes may elect to enforce the restricted rule set (i.e., begin rejecting blocks greater than 1MB) at any time t >= t0. However, they CANNOT enforce the restricted rule set for t < t0, without the risk of forking themselves off the network.

WHAT SHOULD A HARD-FORKING CHANGE FROM 1MB TO 2MB LOOK LIKE?

Ans. Miners would coordinate some point in the future, t0, where they agree to build on top of blocks greater than 1MB; that is, at time t = t0 they would enforce a less-restrictive rule set.

Non-mining nodes may elect to stop enforcing the old rule set (i.e., begin accepting blocks greater than 1MB) at any time t <= t0. However, they CANNOT continue to enforce the old rule set for t > t0, without the risk of forking themselves off the network.
Peter, thank you for the pictures. There is of course one fundamental difference in the two cases, in the second case nodes are on a different chain, this does not occur in the first scenerio.

If nodes decide "hey, I want to allow blocks bigger than 1 MB today" and so cease to enforce the 1MB limit, how is this an attack?

The classification of the attack, is not just what the clients do, it is a value judgment based on several factors. In particular the fact that the client locks in 25% opposition at the time of activation, specifically to fork away from the expected significant opposition.
[doublepost=1463890272][/doublepost]
If miners see that most nodes will already accept larger blocks and decide to start making them, how is this an attack?
Again, in itself that is not necessarily an attack. Currently I believe over 80% of nodes enforce the 1MB rule.

The point I am trying to get at is that your approach of "defeating the attack" puts you in a position where you have to try to convince other people to change their beliefs and behaviors.

This, I would contend, is bound to lead you to frustration.
Yes it is frustrating. I would say that understanding a hardfork cannot occur without strong consensus is about learning the characteristics and features of Bitcoin. To some extent it is already working, Peter R commented that “you are right so far”. If Bitcoin did not have this feature, I would never have been interested in it in the first place.

I hope that in several decades time the ecosystem is much larger and more powerful forces try to change one of the protocol rules, such as raising the 21M cap. At this point I hope you realize how important it is that hardfork’s cannot occur without strong consensus across the community and how important it was that the small blocksists won the battle in the 2014 to 2016 period.

If everyone had to agree on a set of principles or and ideology for Bitcoin to achieve consensus, then I would have little hope in its future. The thing that makes the system so powerful is that it can achieve strong consensus through economic incentives that encourage convergence on a set of Schelling points. Bitcoin relies not on good will or enlightened participants, but on incentives.
This is a smart comment. I mostly agree with that. What makes Bitcoin powerful is the ability for different people, with different ideologies and who may be enemies, to agree on the one true chain. This is an amazing feat of game theory, economics, science and engineering. However, we must accept that the system is not perfect. One thing I think the participants do need to agree on, is the rules for block validity.

Last edited:

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
"Peter, thank you for the pictures. There is of course one fundamental difference in the two cases, in the second case nodes are on a different chain, this does not occur in the first scenerio."

If nodes began applying a new rule before the mining majority in the soft-fork case, they would end up on a new chain too. I see the two cases as perfectly symmetrical--just in reverse.
[doublepost=1463890893][/doublepost]
Thank you. I am totally fine with people opposing my view. The things that I feel make the conversation difficult to continue are the following:

1. Claims I am Adam Back

2. Claims I have a financial link to Blockstream

3. Claims that Blockstream have nefarious self interest in profiting from LN, which is why they are blocking a HF

4. Unnecessarily questioning the integrity of my character

If some of you large blocksists disagree with the above, please speak out. In the same way as I have questioned the moderation policy on /r/bitcoin.
I can vouch that @jonny1000 is not Adam Back (I've met both in person and they are not the same man). I'm quite certain that Jonathan has no financial ties to Blockstream and from my interactions with him, he is honest, polite, thoughtful and acts with integrity.

That being said, I disagree with #3. :oops:

Last edited:

jonny1000

Nov 11, 2015
The 1MB limit was introduced as an uncontentious hard-fork
No, it was introduced as a softfork. There has never been a hardfork.
[doublepost=1463891368][/doublepost]

If nodes began applying a new rule before the mining majority in the soft-fork case, they would end up on a new chain too. I see the two cases as perfectly symmetrical--just in reverse.
Yes, that is why it is very important not to implement a softfork in that way. This is why a 95% threshold has been used before miners enforce the new rules.
[doublepost=1463891532][/doublepost]
I can vouch that @jonny1000 is not Adam Back (I've met both in person and they are not the same man). I'm quite certain that Jonathan has no financial ties to Blockstream and from my interactions with him, he is honest, polite, thoughtful and acts with integrity.
Thank you
[doublepost=1463891564][/doublepost]
That being said, I disagree with #3. :oops:
Are you at least prepared to assume good faith for the purposes of productive conversation? Out of interest why do you think Gavin is wrong when he says Blockstream acts in good faith?

Last edited:
Reactions: bluemoon

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@jonny1000
So many letters. Are you a lawyer? Are you trying to achieve something? Are you trying to learn?
[doublepost=1463892002][/doublepost]What is driving you? What is your motivation?
[doublepost=1463892315][/doublepost]Are you trying to steal honest peoples time?

Reactions: bluemoon