Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Re: alternatives to PoW mining

I think it boils down to the simple truth that in a system where no one is privileged in participating, the cost to participate will always tend toward the benefit accrued by participating. Whether in the form of mining or grinding stake histories, the expenditure of resources is unavoidable because actors will compete to do whatever is necessary to gain whatever profit is left on the table. They will continue to expend resources until there is no more available profitability, no matter the form that resource expenditure takes.

Mining has the benefit of being simple, whereas stake grinding might be harder to figure out how to optimize, making it analogous to security through obscurity (energy savings through obscurity), the tradeoff being that security modeling is weakened dramatically because whoever does figure out the more abstruse, optimal method of stake grinding will likely have an overwhelming advantage for a while - exactly the kind of centralization that mining seeks to avoid.

Last edited:
Reactions: soullyG and AdrianX

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Reactions: AdrianX and ladoga

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
All proof of work does is attach an irrecoverable cost to asserting multiple versions of the same claim.

The existence of these irrecoverable costs enables nodes in the network to choose which claim to respect via a very simple heuristic: pick the claim that would be most expensive to retract.

What proof of work does is very simple (deceptively simple). Trying to ascribe a bunch of extra properties to it is an exercise in chasing ghosts.
I think we have to look at why we need irrecoverable costs and why we pick a chain that would be the most expensive to retract.

In theory a well connected P2P network of honest nodes where nodes only accept the first transaction should be enough to determine the correct ordering of transactions (which is all the blockchain does). However there are problems, for example even in an honest network fragmentation can occur and separate groups of nodes that are weakly connected may develop different orderings and different versions of the truth. Then there are attacks by dishonest nodes.

What was needed to fix this was a central record of the "truth" for transaction ordering. The problem here is any central record maker becomes the weak link in the system and point for corruption, shutdown, gov control, etc.

Tying real world costs (that everyone has equal access to) to create blocks did several things: it ensures no one can know who will create the next block which prevents the opportunity for collusion with those who would double spend; it ensures no one can block specific transactions by withholding confirmation; it ensures the system is contained entirely within itself with no external dependencies ; and most importantly it ensures a consistent ordering that is expensive to reverse (making attempts to reverse the order more expensive than the rewards).

All of this put together allows for a central record to be created that does not have a central point to attack.

Another mechanism that achieves the same properties can also create a central record of truth for transaction orderings, but do so without spending real world physical resources and instead spend economic resources. Blocks created by a random selection of BTC ownership can be made to do this as well. It's not a fair startup mechanism for coin distribution, but can work after coins are distributed.

Here there are real world costs just as with PoW. The costs are time value of money, votes are given by # of BTC held for X period of time. Attempts to reverse the order very high costs in the form of holding a significant percentage of total coins over a period of time, which is unlikely and expensive.

I know many on the previous thread did not like this mechanism before, but I fail to see how it does not achieve the same goals.

Re: alternatives to PoW mining
Mining has the benefit of being simple, whereas stake grinding might be harder to figure out how to optimize, making it analogous to security through obscurity (energy savings through obscurity), the tradeoff being that security modeling is weakened dramatically because whoever does figure out the more abstruse, optimal method of stake grinding will likely have an overwhelming advantage for a while - exactly the kind of centralization that mining seeks to avoid.
PoW mining had the exact same issue. Those who figured out GPU mining first had an unfair advantage for awhile, then those who created the first FPGA miners, then those who made the first ASICs had a crazy advantage and made an absurd amount of BTC.

Bitcoin did not suffer during this period. In fact it flourished since so many people were investing time and energy in the project.

Stake grinding optimization would be the same thing. People would spend significant resources figuring out various optimization strategies giving advantage, these strategies would slowly get out there and be used by most re-leveling the playing field.

BTW can you give an example of stake grinding optimization, it's always seemed fairly straightforward to me (at least the version I've toyed with)

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
"Another mechanism that achieves the same properties can also create a central record of truth for transaction orderings, but do so without spending real world physical resources and instead spend economic resources...Attempts to reverse the order very high costs in the form of holding a significant percentage of total coins over a period of time, which is unlikely and expensive."

This sounds like proof of stake to me. Are you familiar with the nothing-at-stake attack? The idea is that PoS doesn't necessarily spend economic resources because "time" cannot be defined within the system itself. There is no tether between the economic system and the physical world (unlike PoW that translates a fact of physics into a fact of mathematics).

My understanding is that the latest thinking on PoS is that it requires "weak subjectivity" to ensure consensus. A familiar example of "weak subjectivity" would be using PoW but when a new node joins the network, it has to ask peers for the UTXO set rather than having the ability to download the complete transaction history back to the genesis block and building the UTXO set itself.

Reactions: AdrianX

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
RUT looks to be turning. this is the most bearish of the indices and is probably leading another to another down leg. it's tricky b/c we could turn around and start a counter trend bounce but on balance, given the setup and timing, i'm guessing more down:

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
looking good. moving UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
RUT looks to be turning. this is the most bearish of the indices and is probably leading another to another down leg. it's tricky b/c we could turn around and start a counter trend bounce but on balance, given the setup and timing, i'm guessing more down:

this type of deflation is a great argument for a new monetary system.

oh yeah, $DJI -160

@lunarboy

I wonder If Jeff will now move to team XT ?
why would he do that? b/c of the code complexity?

or b/c he was thrown under the bus by /u/petertodd?

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
re Jeff: link or it didn't happen!

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
that is hearn what about garzik?

ladoga

Sep 17, 2015
I have hard time believing that this way of handling disagreements is good for Core. It's alright if Mike's code doesn't fit into the dominant Core developers' vision, but they could simply state their goals (what they want Bitcoin to be), agree to disagree and wish Mike good luck with his competing implementation. Let the code talk and the markets choose, right? Accept the reality of what is happening without making such a fuzz about it.

I'm not sure what was Jeff's crime, but this probably means that we can also forget about BIP 100 getting into the Core.

Some Core developers are sending a strong message here that Bitcoin is their project, theirs alone and that everyone - even inside the Core dev team - who doesn't agree should GTFO. That doesn't sound like a healthy place for development.

Also god forbid if you fork and start coding your own implementation. That is considered as an attack and a threat.

The only thing I see it threatening is their rule over the bitcoin code base.

For everyone else, having more implementations to choose from would be good. It would be better even for Core itself. They could implement good ideas and bug fixes from other clients when they wanted to.

puts a tinfoil hat on

Could all this drama simply be a proxy war between the interests of Bitcoin economy (payment processors, exchanges, wallets etc.) and the Blockstream?

takes the tinfoil hat off

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
"Another mechanism that achieves the same properties can also create a central record of truth for transaction orderings, but do so without spending real world physical resources and instead spend economic resources...Attempts to reverse the order very high costs in the form of holding a significant percentage of total coins over a period of time, which is unlikely and expensive."

This sounds like proof of stake to me. Are you familiar with the nothing-at-stake attack? The idea is that PoS doesn't necessarily spend economic resources because "time" cannot be defined within the system itself. There is no tether between the economic system and the physical world (unlike PoW that translates a fact of physics into a fact of mathematics).

My understanding is that the latest thinking on PoS is that it requires "weak subjectivity" to ensure consensus. A familiar example of "weak subjectivity" would be using PoW but when a new node joins the network, it has to ask peers for the UTXO set rather than having the ability to download the complete transaction history back to the genesis block and building the UTXO set itself.
Agree the PoS implementation was weak. But I think it can be done better.

My main concern is the electricity waste isn't that much of an issue today because Bitcoin is small (consumes less than google I think), but if Bitcoin becomes dominant there will be large cries for the government to "do something to save the planet".

The electricity waste issue will legitimize government attacks against Bitcoin, and provides governments with an easy public excuse to take over the system in order to "do good".

If there are not ready answers to this problem, we leave Bitcoin open to a real attack vector. Having a well thought out fix is not a bad thing to have or explore. PoS was done poorly, I think there are better ways to do it.

Last edited:

Melbustus

Aug 28, 2015
now that is interesting.

i wonder if Bitpay couldn't reconcile his support of a miner centric BIP100...
My guess is that Jeff wants to work on open-source projects that benefit the ecosystem, and that Bitpay can no longer justify financially supporting that given the layoffs and so forth. So Jeff will probably find a role somewhere else that allows him to work on what he likes but also pays a salary.

In any event, props to Bitpay for supporting him while they could (just wish they'd more generally managed their burn better for many reasons).