Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
if you guys aren't helping out, you really should be. Classic has a great chance here:

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
@theZerg
Nice write up about the different on-chain scaling efforts. I would post a link to it at /r/btc if I could, but currently, I don't have an account at reddit.

What do you think about this Bitcoin 9000 initiative?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1382884.msg14065334#msg14065334

I don't have the competence to evaluate this whitepaper. And the author(s) seem to want to be anonymous. What do you think?

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
if you guys aren't helping out, you really should be. Classic has a great chance here:

Upgraded my Classic node already. That vertical cliff must be the upgrade of the Classic cloud to 0.12!

The total number of Classic nodes minus the ones in that graph suggest that Classic has a good chance to overtake if the remaining Classic nodes upgrade to 0.12.

Get to it people! :)

Reactions: majamalu and bitsko

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
finally confirmed; 3h later.

Reactions: Norway

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
alert semi-OT post

was reading this story http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/03/man-hacks-tesla-firmware-finds-new-model-has-car-remotely-downgraded/

a man while hacking his Tesla's car firmware found out an image revealing a new upcoming model, two strange things about the story:

- the guy twitted to Musk the sha256 hash of the img, Tesla fans *crack* it and were able to see the image

- twitter handle of the guy is @wk057, this quite similar to eligius pool operator nickname wizkid057.... same person? or is it wizkid a character of cult movie than I am not aware of?

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
the guy twitted to Musk the sha256 hash of the img, Tesla fans *crack* it and were able to see the image
@sickpig : "Cracking" SHA256 is the wrong word. He extracted the image from the firmware, took the checksum of it and bragged to Musk/Tesla without revealing the actual image.

Obviously they compared the checksum to their own image from firmware, and knew what he knew.

<relieved>

Last edited:

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
@theZerg

so Gavin's headerless mining proposal of yesterday enforces the concept in your SPV mining paper by limiting validation time to 30 sec beyond which the block is discarded in favor of the previous correct, is that your understanding?
Yes. My paper shows that headers only mining is a good thing. The 30sec may come from the validation times I measured and reported in the paper.

And the next task on the classic engineering roadmap implements the papers' recommendation that rational miners should abandon a long validation block in favor of a shorter sibling.... It's almost like somebody actually READ the damn thing!

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@theZerg

the way i think of it is that the pool is working on a certain block when this long validation block's header arrives. the pool drops the block it's working on and starts SPV mining off this new header solution as it begins to DL and verify this header's long validation block contents. if this whole process takes longer than 30 sec, it abandons the block entirely. what it should do at that point is go back to mining it's own block that it was working on before until or unless another shorter validation block shows up. does that sound right to you?

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
For everyone who has not had their daily dose of anti-Classic lies and FUD, and would like to know what the spin machine is currently producing, get yourself a coffee or other strong drink and imbibe this if you can stomach it:

https://medium.com/@beautyon_/back-away-from-the-bitcoin-barbed-wire-f1aed9109bb8#.b0ljampjb

The sad part is you know there'll be people out there who'll believe hit pieces like these without questioning.

I'll take a Medium "Mokachino", please.

Last edited:
Reactions: majamalu

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
@theZerg
Nice write up about the different on-chain scaling efforts. I would post a link to it at /r/btc if I could, but currently, I don't have an account at reddit.

What do you think about this Bitcoin 9000 initiative?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1382884.msg14065334#msg14065334

I don't have the competence to evaluate this whitepaper. And the author(s) seem to want to be anonymous. What do you think?
Its a combination of 3 technologies so not really novel but that's ok; author mostly gives credit.

1. His diff blocks is peter r's subchains.

2. txn validation is naturally parallelizable -- its just a matter of doing it. But afaik not the limiting factor now.

3. Extension blocks. He suggests txns that moves addresses to an extension block and back. You have to keep track of where each txn is I guess.

I prefer a merkle txn trie, where the addresses in the transaction defines the location of the txn (in that "extension block" or a parent. This system scales up and down without having to spend txns explicitly. Miners mine and validate whatever subset of blocks they want and all parents up to root. Txns can't get stuck in an extension block that nobody is mining because it can appear in any parent. And such a system creates a fee market because the nearer to root your txn is placed the more likely it is to be mined... and a high fee will encourage miners to move your txn to root. And when a high enough fee backlog of txns occur it encourages miners to mine a block further down in the trie.

I guess I should write this up more formally than a posting on bitco.in but you know no chance of it happening until we at least get to 2mb -- that is, beat the forces that want limited blocks to drive money to their proprietary soln.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
who is that BeautyOn character? Matonis fawns all over him.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@solex

Perhaps it incites early urgency on solutions and the inevitable backlash is worth it. From my perspective I only wish there were a way to impel solutions without the exaggerated rhetoric on both sides spooking investors.

@cypherdoc

BeautyOn (a.k.a. Irdial) was the guy whose essays got me to see the light on Bitcoin way back when. I've followed him off and on since then but he seems to have gone slightly off the deep end.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
gone slightly off the deep end
The wavefront of the proverbial herd, so to speak.

Native American proverb: "The falling buffalo grunts the loudest." (not true, I just made that up*, apologies)

Source: By Lazarus000 - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=45659978

* if there are any actual Native Americans here who can share a real proverb that would match that meaning, I would be most delighted to know about it.

---

The Age of Bitquarius could be upon us soon.

I would advise everyone to keep a well-synched full copy of the blockchain around on an IoT-enabled device of their choice, and be ready to replicate to as many devices as you can (share the love)! Storage and bandwidth are plentiful and cheap today :)

---

I'll have one portion of buffalo wings, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluemoon
'morning

the situation is really sad. If there doesn't happen something, like the real fee event, or a breakdown of segwit, I don't think anything will change and bitcoin will become the famous myspace of digital money.

The next killer app will not be on bitcoin. No sane investor / company would try to produce anything for bitcoin. Nor more than ever - core devs proofed they don't listen to the need of the economy and the community celebrates this.

It's like venezuela or some other country thinking they could raise taxes to eternity and regulate the economy to dead. The result has been and is always the same: the economy migrates.

Ethereum reaching daily new height and nearing to have 1/6 of bitcoin's value. Classic-Nodes pop up, but most on AWS, while nearly no Core-Node migrates. Miners don't care. The community of the "free money" shows an incredible amount of obedience to authority and sucks up every violation of logic.

Ethereum is raising rapidly not because it such a great system or because money is on the search for something stable. Ethereum is raising because it gives the economy what the economy needs while bitcoin is more like a village of farmers in the deep landscape that has it's own rules and restrictions and goes to the torches if a company arrives and wants to build something.