Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

rezzme

Sep 8, 2015
United States
Guess who's back? None other than loaded! Him and associates control >1% of all bitcoins, and support a blocksize cap increase.

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/41r561/150k_btc_between_personal_holdings_and_associates/
load: "Someone suggested over dinner to pop in on this account. I will attempt to locate an old wallet file later. The current cold storage is inaccessible without taking a couple flights."

A couple flights. Wow. Loaded indeed.

Reactions: Norway

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
Great Bitcoin Classic update with lots of information.
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/41qdrt/bitcoin_classic_update_email_for_subscribers_tldr/

The most interesting to me was this

"The activation threshold % and earliest activation date are being discussed with the community and will be announced next week."

Definitely waiting to see what they choose. I'm still in the camp of setting activation closer to a majority or standard super majority in order to put pressure on lagging pools. One or two pools should not be able to hold back bitcoin. But we'll see.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@rocks that's definitely the very interesting point. I'd say it's hinging on one of the biggest inflection points in the history of Bitcoin.

I'm all in favor of using the same criteria as BIP101 and activating 101 as well.

I'm sensitive to those like theymos who believe this is a fundamental change and argue it breakfast the existing social contract. Leaving bitcoin somewhat out of control.

But it's a very important moment it's going to define bitcoin as a robust system protected by the decentralized network of users or a system protected by the will of a centralized authority in an ivory tower.

How we (they - Classic centralized controle) chose to move forward is important and must be much more swift than XT's proposal introduction of 101.

Reactions: majamalu

Mengerian

Staff member
Aug 29, 2015
"Bitcoin, as a creature of the market, should be hard forking on a regular basis, because a hard fork is the only time the market gets an opportunity to express its will in anything other than a binary YES/NO fashion." -ForkiusMaximus

Interesting, so in that light, the 2MB "can kick" approach of Classic could be considered preferable to the more long-term solution provided by BIP101. Also, having the Bitcoin ecosystem go through the experience of a hard fork will provide a valuable learning experience, increasing the likelihood that periodic hard forks can take place in future with less disruption.

I think we have to be fair here. If they were wrong to call XT an "attack on Bitcoin" because forking should be allowed, they should likewise be allowed to defend their vision against the majority fork - otherwise XT really was an attack on their vision. It's really just open source working as intended. Changing the PoW algo will be required by us if we end up in the minority, after all.
I can see why a small-block chain would need to change mining algorithm defend their chain if they were in the minority, but I don't think the reverse is true. If big-block nodes were in the minority, they still accept smaller blocks, so they would just follow the longer chain of small blocks.

I can't see how you would gain anything by changing the mining algorithm, miners always have it in their power to produce smaller blocks, and orphan large blocks if they choose.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Last edited:

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@Mengerian

Yes it looks like the market, insofar as the miners are a proxy for the market, prefers the smaller jump to 2MB for now. As Mike said, the very fact that we can make the jump successfully shows we can do it again (up or down) as necessary.

Re: needing to change the PoW algo for bigger blocks if we're the minority, if we don't we can be 51%ed. As I understand it, as soon as a big block is mined, the resulting chain permanently diverges from the Core chain, so whatever small blocks they mine after that won't be relevant to our chain anyway.

To be clear, yes we could track the Core chain using BU without changing the algo, but if we actually want bigger blocks for Bitcoin we'll have to change the algo and do it ourselves, after which the two chains will be alien to one another. If we do it that way without changing the algo, Core miners would be wise to kill our chain just to make sure we don't rise later and 51% them back.

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
Having stayed out of this since xmas .... did I miss anything? ;)

It seems we've entered the period in bitcoin development where we find out the emperor has no clothes. Perhaps equivalent to the periods of inquisition and enlightenment. Opinions that were once disguised and reserved are being exposed in public for all to see. It's a fascinating study of social psychology, and will be a very hard lesson for those with deep seated misconceptions of the relatively simple laws of nakamoto consensus and the free market.

The irony that some people are willing to throw themselves onto the fire, rather than compromise on building a system designed to force compromise is incredible.

ps
I really don't like this talk of changing the PoW to me it seems like suicide, it's a nice to know there's an escape route, but you'd have to be bonkers to use it.

Reactions: Mengerian

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
teens here we come:

In the event of a PoW change to enable both chains to continue functioning at the same time, the winner will be decided by user support and the number of services using that chain.

Here is a short list on the Classic side, they have quite a bit more than this BTW.
  • Coinbase
  • OKCoin
  • Bitstamp
  • Blockchain.info (Peter Smith)
  • Xapo
  • Bitcoin.com
  • Foldapp
  • Bread Wallet
  • Snapcard.io
  • Cubits
  • Vaultoro
  • Coinify
  • Bitso
  • Bitnet
  • BitOasis
  • Lamassu
  • BlockCypher
  • BitQuick.co
  • itBit
Here is the list core has.
  • Blockstream (nonfunctional)
  • Green address
The result should be clear
I'm no longer sure.

If Bitcoin Classic uses Core 0.11.2 you'll have the choice
1.) Core 0.11.2 + 2 MB
2.) Core 0.11.2 + Pruning + libsec256k1 + many more things

Also, in the event of a change of pow, it would be everything but unclear who wins:
1.) a coin with highly centralized mining by a few entities
2.) a coin which is minable by GPU and brings us back in the lucky home-mining-days of 2013

Every exchange and marketplace will be flooded with request by enthusiastic customers:
"Hey, I'd mined some core bitcoins, can I sell them on your marketplace?"

I remember back in late 2013 on bitcoin.de we had a lots of customers from bulgaria. I then talked with them and they said: "Here in bulgaria everybody and his mother is mining."

there is no doubt who will win, in the back of all the minds of those who think this is even viable, is the longing for the days when you could make 1000's of present on your mining investment and get money for nothing. (Gmax can't mine with a 30% profit margin (needs 300%) so therefor mining for individuals is dead)

The market has moved on, if you try match energy input to security there might not be enough energy in Germany let alone enough GPUs on earth to mine a decentralized coin to protect a market cap of 15,000,000 coins worth $5,000,000,000. with just 7,000,000 coin left to mine.

it will ensure there survival but not make it a credible threat.
The protection of a coin depends on the avalability of hashing-power. The cost of a 51-attack is the sum of the cost of the needed hardware. If a coin is asic-resistant and has more hashpower than, let's they, the 50 fastests supercomputer of the world together, than you can say it's secure.

Reactions: AdrianX

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
I'm no longer sure.

If Bitcoin Classic uses Core 0.11.2 you'll have the choice
1.) Core 0.11.2 + 2 MB
2.) Core 0.11.2 + Pruning + libsec256k1 + many more things

Also, in the event of a change of pow, it would be everything but unclear who wins:
1.) a coin with highly centralized mining by a few entities
2.) a coin which is minable by GPU and brings us back in the lucky home-mining-days of 2013

Every exchange and marketplace will be flooded with request by enthusiastic customers:
"Hey, I'd mined some core bitcoins, can I sell them on your marketplace?"

I remember back in late 2013 on bitcoin.de we had a lots of customers from bulgaria. I then talked with them and they said: "Here in bulgaria everybody and his mother is mining."

The protection of a coin depends on the avalability of hashing-power. The cost of a 51-attack is the sum of the cost of the needed hardware. If a coin is asic-resistant and has more hashpower than, let's they, the 50 fastests supercomputer of the world together, than you can say it's secure.
Are you the one helping jtoomim with coding Classic?

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
One thing that bothers me about Classic: the let-the-community-decide-about-everything approach.

"Democracy" should be reached through the means of multiple alternative and competing implementations.

Consider.it, even if used only for definition and approval of "policies", is way too fragile and could lead to the hijacking of the development process indefinitely.

Benevolent dictators or charismatic catalysts, if you will, is the way to go if you want to get a successful software project. At the end of the day someone has to be in charge and decide on controversial and even non controversial issues.

Then the market will judge which implementations would be valuable.

TL;DR The thing that will guarantee decentralization/democracy is the existence of multiple implementations, and not the internal decision making process of each single implementation.

macsga

Sep 29, 2015
Democracy is indeed an overrated concept; and this is a Greek speaking :p. Pareto principle proves that we live in a society of "The vital few and trivial many" so in essence, if you want something good to happen, you should apply to those who can provide it. The only drawback is that we humans have greed embedded into our DNA, so in the case you want to do something for "the many" you "accidentally" start doing something for yourself...

Reactions: AdrianX

Fatman3002

Sep 5, 2015
@sickpig I agree that there are weaknesses with applying community wide "democracy" in a software project, but the problem isn't Bitcoin Classic or BU, the problem is that XT lost their leader and Core are unappealing. Bitpay is an interesting candidate, but it has an obvious bias. There is still something missing among Bitcoin implementations.

Reactions: bitsko

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@sickpig

Right, it looks like Michael Toomim is the SJW and democracy guy, whereas his brother Jonathan is more no-nonsense wants the democratic voting as just a suggestion. I guess they have this brotherly antipodal dynamic that they've managed to make work, rounding out each others' extremes. But right now they are coming off as contradictory, and people are taking both sides of it for FUDding purposes ("Oh no it's a democracy!" "Oh no it's a dictatorship!" - both sentiments upvoted in the very same thread)

Michael's response to Jonathan:

I almost responded with profanity to that, but I'm glad I didn't because it looks like he has a looser idea of it than I thought - and is generally a loose guy.

Fortunately, the initial release is just the blocksize bump, so it really doesn't matter what happens afterward since users are free to upgrade. It's just a FUD source they're latching onto over in /r/Bitcoin. It's pretty silly to watch all these people not used to the idea that every time they upgrade they will be making a choice, shopping around for the best client. The only way it makes sense to worry about Classic's governance process is if they're the only game in town, so this is tied to the idea that if Classic wins all the key Core devs quit, which seems unlikely.

They're grasping at whatever straws they can now, which suggests the end is nigh unless Core can pull off some eleventh-hour upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: bitsko and majamalu

Erdogan

Aug 30, 2015
Greed is no problem. Our most important defect in fact is the dual edged sword of the ability to envision. It can help us greatly, but it enables us also to see the consequence of a threat. So under threat, we submit to the dominators.