Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
yeah, i think brg444 is Austin.
Until now, I thought brg444 was Maxwell due to some suspicious timing between a public interaction I had with brg444 and a PM I received from nullc, but brg444 as Austin Hill also makes sense there.

The most interesting thing to note about brg444 is his profile on Bitcointalk:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=251751

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks
If brg444 really is Austin Hill, then it's reasonable to ask whether or not Blockstream was founded for the explicit purpose of replacing "be your own bank" with the opposite goal.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
i'd say yes. absolutely. Austin's been quoted saying they're marketing SC's to banks. probably the idea is to have every bank be on one SC. i've read that they want banks to "administer" BTC and scBTC units w/o actually having to take physical possession while charging tx fees. this coupled with all sorts of selling of speculative assets on thousands of SC's, in effect, turning Bitcoin into a large WoW speculative trading platform.

as i've argued multiple times in the past, no, you want asset speculators to have to instead buy BTC on an exchange somewhere (to help drive up the price) and use it as a bearer instrument to then go out and trade it for speculative instruments offchain if they so choose. just like other Bitcoin businesses do today.

Reactions: bitsko

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Reactions: majamalu

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Sergio Lerner:

https://bitcoinclassic.slack.com/archives/implementation/p1452908654000934

"Also I'm against the complexity of segwit as a soft-fork (probably requires 200 additional lines of code of consensus critical code). Segwit almost prevents consensus-compatible re-implementations of Bitcoin in other languages."
[doublepost=1453056878][/doublepost]
Some people just don't get it:

he just admitted that the efficiency gains of changing one constant to the code are both simple and unadmittedly astronomical.

someone needs to quantify that.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
brg444 says he lives in Quebec City
http://log.bitcoin-assets.com//?date=27-11-2015#1332339

01:19:55pete_dushenski:lol quebec city ? ya, i've been there.
01:20:11pete_dushenski:though i'm definitely due to go back.
01:20:24pete_dushenski:brg444: you been ?
01:20:34brg444:I live there
01:20:46pete_dushenski:ha!
01:21:13pete_dushenski:brg444: well how's winter been treating you thus far
01:22:52brg444:well temperature today was in the 50s so can't really call it winter yet
01:23:00brg444:not an inch of snow anywhere too
So, not Austin Hill, but maybe a hired human sock-puppet for BS.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
great perspective from Ma Ya:

"A split is nothing - even if all of the developers were to disappear bitcoin could continue to function. The core framework of bitcoin was already completed during Satoshi’s time and all that’s left now is a bit of tweaking and adjustment."

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/41dizq/the_rbtc_china_dispatch_episode_3_block_size/

i know he wants help but this just goes to show that /u/jtoomim should just work to hardfork to 2MB and sit back and wait. the other core devs will come to help Classic once the free mkt takes over and deprecates Core. even then, we have to get past the mindset of "devs gotta dev". once blocksize is resolved, there's not much to be done with the code. digital p2p cash does not have to be complicated; in fact, the opposite. it should be simple, safe, cheap and reliable.
[doublepost=1453057454][/doublepost]
brg444 says he lives in Quebec City
http://log.bitcoin-assets.com//?date=27-11-2015#1332339

So, not Austin Hill, but maybe a hired human sock-puppet for BS.
don't put it past Austin Hill to pretend he is an unemployed 23yo living in Quebec with an established Twitter acct to provide plausible deniability. happens all the time

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
don't you have to be invited or get permission from the other devs to post on Bitcoin Wizards?
Anyone can post in #bitcoin-wizards. Just go here and click "connect":

http://irc.lc/freenode/bitcoin-wizards

Words of warning:

1. The IP address that you connect with will be visible to the other participants.

2. The moderation is strict and the channel is devoted to theoretical discussions about Bitcoin. However, they seem to consider theory from an economics or political science perspective as off-topic, so tread with care.

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
Posted a few messages of support towards bitcoin classic on /r/bitcoin and then got banned for my trouble.

Fascinating to see the complete difference in subject matter displayed on /r/btc and /r/bitcoin. This fork is going to surprise a lot of people who never leave that subreddit.

The trolls and disinformation shills are out promoting 0.12 in force - as if that will achieve anything.
Seems they've been out in force the past 24 hours, I just received my first ban yesterday. Apparently responding to Maxwell to highlight his obvious FUD is "trolling".

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@cypherdoc I very much doubt he's Austin Hill, and he's almost definitely not Gmax (Gmax wouldn't post links to mises.org as some of his account's first posts, and he wouldn't be so into supporting hodling; brg444 is a major Bitcoin bull and echoes a lot of the kinds of arguments we make here on that aspect of things).

As to why he's not Austin Hill, besides the obvious that a VC like Austin Hill wouldn't have that amount of free time, look at the hands:

↑ Austin Hill a month ago. In contrast:

From here in October 2014. Google image search shows no other copies of that image on the net (likewise with tineye), which suggests that's his own photo. There's no way that's the same hand unless maybe Austin gained a lot of weight in the last year. But even back in April his hands were pretty pudgy and overall he's quite portly in a way that would take longer than a few months to gain:

I think brg444 is just an interested party who was probably radicalized by the initial face-off with you (cypherdoc) about sidechains and turned into a Blockstream aficionado. Big clashes like that have a way of entrenching people's positions deeply, especially if he is 24 like he says (same as theymos I think). There are plenty like him, he just seems particularly avid as again he's a major bull and apparently sees Core/BS as the way forward.

Last edited:

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@Aquent is killing it on the classic slack #debate channel

There is back-biting on the 75% threshold, which, IMHO, is a safe and very optimal target. Elsewhere people like Pieter Wuille, thermos and Luke Jr have mentioned preference for a flag-day. This is complete lunacy as it could leave the network split 50/50 on hashing power, and why, just to "prove" that the users control Bitcoin, not the miners? Such proof is not worth anything.

So necessary for Classic to hold to the original XT 75% threshold + grace period principle.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Austin Hill IMO. Same guy was wandering around Scaling Conf @ HK telling people he had been super busy vetting all of the proposed talks.
@Peter R's paper never had a chance.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@cypherdoc I very much doubt he's Austin Hill, and he's almost definitely not Gmax (Gmax wouldn't post links to mises.org as some of his account's first posts, and he wouldn't be so into supporting hodling; brg444 is a major Bitcoin bull and echoes a lot of the kinds of arguments we make here on that aspect of things).

As to why he's not Austin Hill, besides the obvious that a VC like Austin Hill wouldn't have that amount of free time, look at the hands:

↑ Austin Hill a month ago. In contrast:

From here in October 2014. Google image search shows no other copies of that image on the net (likewise with tineye), which suggests that's his own photo. There's no way that's the same hand unless maybe Austin gained a lot of weight in the last year. But even back in April his hands were pretty pudgy and overall he's quite portly in a way that would take longer than a few months to gain:

I think brg444 is just an interested party who was probably radicalized by the initial face-off with you (cypherdoc) about sidechains and turned into a Blockstream aficionado. Big clashes like that have a way of entrenching people's positions deeply, especially if he is 24 like he says (same as theymos I think). There are plenty like him, he just seems particularly avid as again he's a major bull and apparently sees Core/BS as the way forward.
interesting analysis. wish we had more than 1/5 of his left hand, but i get what you're saying. i would say, however, that that also doesn't look like a 23 yo's hand.

also, what's the likelihood that a 23 yo Bitcoin novice would take the time to sketch out such a sophisticated diagram for himself to look at? more likely, it was used in preparation for a presentation.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
that also doesn't look like a 23 yo's hand.
True, though it's bent back and could be tanned, so it would look wrinklier on someone relatively thin like that.

I assume he created it for posting in the thread. Preference for pen and paper in someone that young may be a little uncommon though. Not sure.
[doublepost=1453062900][/doublepost]
More segwit sleight-of-hand?

Last edited:

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@cypherdoc
This is from April 2014, probably before he heard about Blockstream. It rings true
https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-21537-post-695117.html#pid695117

edit: the text
I'm in Quebec city. This is the one and only ATM in the city, closest one is in Montreal. I think there's more in Vancouver.

There was a 5 % fee which I feel is too much. On the other hand I had the chance to speak with the owner and it is kind of a big gamble for him and these things cost 15k so he has to earn his money back somehow. I expect the fees to go down once competition enters the market.

All that said, nothing beats the convenience of just going to an ATM to deposit/withdraw BTCs. No waiting on wire transfers and what not. I will use it again

Also, the ATM is located in an hostel and I couldn't help but think how convenient this is for travelers.
Another Link
https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-21537-post-695148.html#pid695148

Nationalism is a strong driver. A Quebecois will instinctively approve of a French-Canadian corporate road-map for Bitcoin.

Last edited:

majamalu

Aug 28, 2015
@majamalu

What you are doing is great! Unlimited efforts. Thank you!
http://elbitcoin.org/author/majamalu/
@majamalu has been doing phenomenal work bringing clarity to the debate for Spanish readers.
@Zarathustra
@solex

Thank you guys.

Just as in 2011 I thought it was important to provide the Bitcoin red pill to those who were trapped in the matrix of fiat money, now I think it's important to wake up the bitcoiners that have confused Bitcoin Core with Bitcoin, and remind them that we have alternatives that are aligned with Satoshi's vision.

For a while I felt like a lone preacher, but now I see that my readers are beginning to understand.

I have to thank all of you for your tremendous contributions. Your relentless argumentation, your passion, your courage and your patience have inspired me a great deal.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
"Austin Hill IMO. Same guy was wandering around Scaling Conf @ HK telling people he had been super busy vetting all of the proposed talks." -- @tynwald

@Peter R's paper never had a chance.
It's even worse than that. The Selection Committee (at least the original incarnation of it) accepted my proposal, and then conference organizers asked me to agree to allow a group of experts to review my slides and "offer technical feedback" prior to my presentation. They said that any of their suggested changes wouldn't be binding, but that I was encourage to consider them.

Anyone who has experience with academic conferences knows this is completely bizarre!

I actually agreed to submit my slides just out of curiosity on what the "feedback" would be. Haha but I guess they couldn't take the risk and Blockstream axed my talk.