Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Close all the things!!!

Reactions: bitsko

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
personally, I'm more interested in attempting subchains if I get the time. However, it seems like there is space -- in fact it would be best if there were -- multiple protocols, to begin to create a more robust block and transaction delivery system.
The p2p networking of Bitcoin has been broken for a long time. I think it could be a major win to get some improvement moving there.

Reactions: solex

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
correlation still continuing; at least tonite:

Erdogan

Aug 30, 2015
Maybe we are looking on a newfound connection between bitcoin and the rest of the financial market. Bitcoin up when gold is up, and vice versa. It's about time.

Bitcoin up, gold up. Bitcoin collapsing, gold collapsing. Sorry, @cypherdoc. Thread title needs a hardfork (but we can wait a bit longer to be certain).

What do you think on confidential transactions? I think they are the biggest risk bitcoin is facing in 2016. Much bigger than no increase of the blocksize, much bigger than a contentious hardfork to 20 MB.

Confidential Transactions will break the existing KYC/AML procedures on exchanges. It will set Bitcoin out of reach of regulation, and the consequence will be a worldwide ban.

Reactions: steffen

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Dumped my equities without exception a few months ago.

The way I see it all appreciation in equity indexes since the miraculous 08 crash and rally is directly or indirectly attributable to central bankers policy of ZIRP, QE and market interventions. You can't value something with an invisible hand pushing up the market.

Interesting to see bitcoin up heavily in contrast.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
BS is moving fast.

Eric Lombrozo: SegWit testnet is live

Eric Lombrozo said:
For source code, please look at sipa's github repo:
https://github.com/sipa/bitcoin/tree/segwit

And some example signing code at my repo:
https://github.com/CodeShark/BitcoinScriptExperiments/blob/master/src/signwitnesstx.cpp

Several wallets have already committed to supporting it including mSIGNA, GreenAddress, GreenBits, Blocktrail, and NBitcoin. More wallets are expected to be added to this list soon. If you're a wallet dev and are interested in developing and testing on segnet please contact me.

We're right on schedule and are very excited about the fundamental improvements to bitcoin that segwit will enable.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
What do you think on confidential transactions? I think they are the biggest risk bitcoin is facing in 2016. Much bigger than no increase of the blocksize, much bigger than a contentious hardfork to 20 MB.

Confidential Transactions will break the existing KYC/AML procedures on exchanges. It will set Bitcoin out of reach of regulation, and the consequence will be a worldwide ban.
Not very familiar with KYC/AML regulations or the proposed CT implementation for Bitcoin, but I like the way Monero handles this with view keys which let you reveal transactions if you feel inclined to comply with some regulation.

Melbustus

Aug 28, 2015

I've said for a while that I think one reason govs have been relatively easy on Bitcoin is because of the default-open ledger. But fungibility is a key property of an ideal money, so obviously if we get a white/black/red listing scenario eventually, that would be an attack on Bitcoin's ability to be ideal money for our times.

If Confidential Tx and other privacy tools become the *default* at the protocol level, it'll be interesting to see how govs respond. I think that response will be different depending on how big and economically important Bitcoin is. If Bitcoin is widely used, with a high volume of *on-chain* transactions, it'll be a lot harder to be very aggressive against Bitcoin. If Bitcoin is small, it's easier.

So even this comes back to blocksize. We're in a race to get a high volume of full on-chain transactions, making "real" Bitcoin very economically and socially important as quickly as possible. That is Bitcoin's most effective defense against almost anything.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
here's that daily comparison chart btwn the $DXY and the $DJI. the red arrow is where i think things changed back in August to where they are moving in tandem:

catching down baby, catching down:

launched! the closing Jaws of Death!:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Reactions: majamalu