Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cliff

Dec 15, 2015
Shower Thought(s) 2 - RE: Settlement Layer and Fee Market (shower thought 1 here - RE: Scrubbing the History of Bitcoin messaging)

Premises

1. Some small block proponents claim that Bitcoin should be a settlement layer. From that perspective, transactions on the blockchain - due to block size limits - would be rare and more so for special circumstances than for everyday consumer/retail spending (e.g., coffee). This perspective also allows block space to be treated like a commodity (just like bitcoin). Likewise, in the US, various state and federal agencies have characterized bitcoin as a commodity and not a currency (which makes sense if one defines currency as legal tender).

2. Commodity markets are regulated markets. There are reporting requirements and disclosures statements to be made by various market participants - including those running the markets themselves. We know that CFTC sees bitcoin was within its purview and they have already taken actions against some bitcoin start-ups who failed to meet various compliance standards.

3. In a fee market world, a world that is created out of a decision not to scale within a certain time frame and using certain methods (i.e., adjusting blocksize limits), the "free market" (to borrow a term from JG and GA's article today) concept is abandoned and public representations about bitcoin are changed to support the new narrative (see Shower Thought 1 to see how public representations about what bitcoin is has changed).

Thoughts

Given the preceding paragraphs, are there unintended consequences on the horizon with the adoption of a fee market approach? In other words, is Core or any project-based group, cruising for a visit from regulators interested in regulating markets that are subject to manipulation? I am genuinely interested in this question - I can see multiple angles.

Pre-empt - Oh,I get the logic of open-source, distributed, autonomous/anonymous/etc software project development with no chain of command, but this framework seems be a bit candylandish and utterly impractical due to being out of step with how markets operate. In a world where consumers get screwed over everyday by whale-sized market participants, regulators have been charged with leveling the playing field a bit. This extends to all kinds of markets, such as real estat markets and service markets (in these markets, regulators regulate who can participate via licesning as much as the activity in question). In stock and commodity markets, regulators have ratcheted-up their enforcement activity recently, seeking extradition of foreign traders flash crashing markets etc (young 20 year olds day trading in mom's flat in London, IIRC is one recent example) and sanctions against traders using spoofed orders.

In Bitcoinland, I can easily the transaction fee market being manipulated for the benefit of speeding up or slowing down the moving of money within specific time frames etc. Consequently, one has to wonder whether or when regulators will be interested in watching transaction fee markets (the block market is probably a better term since the fee changes based on bids from the senders) and whether or when they might seek to regulate those markets by regulating who can construct the market and the means for participating therein. I wonder if Core folks consulted counsel or a regulatory consultant on this issue before staking out their position - somebody with a very practical and real world understanding (i.e., experienced) about how markets work and are regulated.

On a related note, one thing that I've noticed over the last few months is that many Core folks tend to take the pro-privacy shtick extremely seriously and therefore have a natural alliance with those folks - many earlish adopters - who are interested in bitcoin for opportunities in unregulated gambling, currency exchanging, mixing, revolution, etc. In short, scaling for mass adoption (planning for success as Gavin has said) probably involves a lot of regulation and compliance - for better or for worse - and that's probably not good for a certain segment of folks.

Hence, I would not be shocked to learn that a chunk of the harshest resistance to increasing the blocksize - especially w/ DDOSing (a cyber crime, btw) - comes from those with a monetary interest in keeping bitcoin outside the govt's purview, at least for the next few years while positions are slowly liquidated without generating redflags at banking institutions, etc. Such desires could easily result in paid subversion activities. To be clear, I'm not talking about all small block folks or even most of them - I enjoy the clash of ideas when they're backed with substance - I'm solely talking those engaged in or supportive of criminal or unauthorized activity and who desire to keep it going for a while at least.

TLDR - A critical sub-text in the Blocksize debate may be about delaying the legal obligations and enforcement thereof that will inevitably result from mass adoption; some people don't want their style to be cramped by the man, but delay tactics based on the desire for a healthy fee market may result in more govt scrutiny to the extent it results in a manipulable commodity market RE: blockspace.

Misc Additions

*I haven't even started talking about the digital divide, east-west, north-south, developed vs undeveloped, third-world/first-world issues and political philosophy-type stuff the block size debate implicates. I've seen quite a few speeches about bitcoin being a critical safety valve for those folks who live in countries where their currency has been devalued etc. A fee market certainly hinders this quality.

** Is there an emergency back up plan in place in the event something catastrophic happens with network and its capacity between now and seg wit roll out? Why not code the backup plan out now - send part of the team off to play 'lets make big blocks' and see what they come up with? TLDR2 - Back-up plans good, no back-up plans bad.

Last edited:

Mengerian

Staff member
Aug 29, 2015
I've been warned:

Just to be clear, what are the default settings of Bitcoin Unlimited when it comes to mining? It won't mine a block larger than 1MB unless the user changes the settings, correct?

So it will not lead to a fork in the blockchain "out of the box".

Also, what constitutes "aggressive" promotion? Some people have strange definitions of what constitutes aggression...

Reactions: Inca

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
@rocks
Maxwell said this 7 months ago :)
We also have reason to believe, from the prior accidental quasi-hardfork, that the mining portion of the network can be updated within a day or two during an actual emergency.

@solex, that is a great quote by Maxwell
"What do you think it would look like if I stepped out, played the politics, and actually attempted to sell a contrary position? Working full time on promoting it as others have, instead of working on cryptography?"

I guess we now know what it looked like. Massive censorship, division and lies on their part...

During an actual emergency (March '13) it's been shown to take < 6 hours for the mining portion to come to an agreement. And if I remember correctly that was with one of the major pool operators on a long haul flight during the fork and people having to wait till he landed.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the rest of the market can be updated.

The vast majority of people use Mycelium type wallets. I would assume that SPV wallet providers can get an upgrade out in the same amount of time as the miners (<1 day), and that they have the ability to tell users they need to upgrade before using the wallet again. Same for bitcoin businesses.

For the rest of the full nodes, if you assume that >95% of the mining portion upgrades within a day, then nodes not paying attention and running non-upgraded software would effectively see network confirmations stop. Nodes continuing to run non-upgraded software I think are safe to assume are simply not being used and are nodes being run in the background. These would slowly be upgraded as people access them and see zero confirmations for days/weeks.

Either way, it is likely a large economic majority can upgrade very quickly. Greg will have to eat humble pie for all of the comments I've seen him make on how long this takes.

Last edited:

Inca

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Just to be clear, what are the default settings of Bitcoin Unlimited when it comes to mining? It won't mine a block larger than 1MB unless the user changes the settings, correct?

So it will not lead to a fork in the blockchain "out of the box".

Also, what constitutes "aggressive" promotion? Some people have strange definitions of what constitutes aggression...
Based upon the last 24 hours I would say even mentioning bitcoin unlimited and being a large block proponent is 'aggressive' promotion!

What is actually aggressive is the censorship in that place. A clear sign of desperation when you have lost all the arguments and the only remaining power you have left is to silence your critics.
It won't work.

Aquent

Aug 19, 2015
@rocks, to be honest I think we can prob raise the limit to 2mb by the end of January since there is unanimous agreement for it. The miners just need to tag their blocks with something like 2mb 31st Jan 2016... the exchanges etc and everyone else will have to upgrade or be left behind, and that's it.

What is the point of non mining nodes anyway? The miners can just fork everyone off which is what the whole soft fork thing is. Looking at bitnodes there are some nodes with version 0.8 lol. With so many softfork upgrades since then, those nodes are as good as forked off. Ghost nodes really with barely better than SPV security.

As long as the mining nodes and business nodes upgrade then the reminder can do as they please. The former can upgrade, as you said, in as quick as 6 hours. A whole month for the rest is probably plenty. Just tag the blocks, set the date, and get on with it. We need to educate these guys to stop asking for permission...

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
@Aquent, yes fully agree. That is what I was trying to say. The nodes & wallets that matter can do this in 1 day or less if needed. The rest do not matter and will catch-up when they need to, but the laggards are no reason to hold the network back.

I am beginning to think when Maxwell and crew say it takes 1-2 years to implement a hard fork, that they mean to make sure 100% of the nodes upgrade in unison. That is probably true.

But it is also economically completely unnecessary. If most miners, Bitcoin businesses, exchanges, merchants and SPV wallets upgrade, that is a full network upgrade even most nodes on the network take a while to upgrade.

This may be another situation where Greg, Peter and crew are only looking at bitcoin as a technical entity and not as an economic entity. But that is probably being too charitable.

Last edited:

ladoga

Sep 17, 2015
@ladoga:
Perhaps it would be good if someone put together an automated script which took bitcoin payment and activated a vps running a bitcoin unlimited node. I would but I am not entirely sure how to activate the vps remotely.
"Donate a Node" button on the Bitcoin Unlimited site, which would request a Bitcoin payment and automatically launch a node on a VPS that accepts Bitcoin.

Yes, that would be nice. :)

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@JVWVU

wow, that is news.

Erdogan

Aug 30, 2015
@cliff
"Pre-empt - Oh,I get the logic of open-source, distributed, autonomous/anonymous/etc software project development with no chain of command, but this framework seems be a bit candylandish and utterly impractical due to being out of step with how markets operate. In a world where consumers get screwed over everyday by whale-sized market participants, regulators have been charged with leveling the playing field a bit. This extends to all kinds of markets, such as real estat markets and service markets (in these markets, regulators regulate who can participate via licesning as much as the activity in question). In stock and commodity markets, regulators have ratcheted-up their enforcement activity recently, seeking extradition of foreign traders flash crashing markets etc (young 20 year olds day trading in mom's flat in London, IIRC is one recent example) andsanctions against traders using spoofed orders."

What you have described here, it not free markets, but governments' meddling with the free markets.

The markets can take care of themselves, tirelessly removing value-destruction and adding value creation. It is the regulation, coercively applied by men elevating themselves to a false moral high ground, that creates chaos in the markets.

With regulation of spoofed orders, the destruction is specially profound, because it attacks sole actors and low level agents of the banks, thus diverting the focus from, and hiding, the great fraud of the conspiracy by government, banks and the large exchanges.

We don't want this in the bitcoin arena, we want the market to self-regulate. With block space, it has done so up till now, and will continue to do so, and it will land on the overall best price for a large set of users, the set limited only by storage, computing power, line capacity and line latency. That is, limited only by nature.

Aquent

Aug 19, 2015
Holy shit guys, its time we "centralize" and capitalize on this. No way Pierre would have bitten onto this 3 months ago. He was someone I that was on opposite spectrum then me last year .

The common sense of BU has them running. Don't stop, give the knock out punch, but olive branches are sacred :)

Reactions: majamalu

cliff

Dec 15, 2015
@cliff
"Pre-empt - Oh,I get the logic of open-source, distributed, autonomous/anonymous/etc software project development with no chain of command, but this framework seems be a bit candylandish and utterly impractical due to being out of step with how markets operate. In a world where consumers get screwed over everyday by whale-sized market participants, regulators have been charged with leveling the playing field a bit. This extends to all kinds of markets, such as real estat markets and service markets (in these markets, regulators regulate who can participate via licesning as much as the activity in question). In stock and commodity markets, regulators have ratcheted-up their enforcement activity recently, seeking extradition of foreign traders flash crashing markets etc (young 20 year olds day trading in mom's flat in London, IIRC is one recent example) andsanctions against traders using spoofed orders."

What you have described here, it not free markets, but governments' meddling with the free markets.

The markets can take care of themselves, tirelessly removing value-destruction and adding value creation. It is the regulation, coercively applied by men elevating themselves to a false moral high ground, that creates chaos in the markets.

With regulation of spoofed orders, the destruction is specially profound, because it attacks sole actors and low level agents of the banks, thus diverting the focus from, and hiding, the great fraud of the conspiracy by government, banks and the large exchanges.

We don't want this in the bitcoin arena, we want the market to self-regulate. With block space, it has done so up till now, and will continue to do so, and it will land on the overall best price for a large set of users, the set limited only by storage, computing power, line capacity and line latency. That is, limited only by nature.
Two separate issues, but I think you must know this.

But for clarity: the "free market" I'm talking about is the voluntary transaction fee regime that has been in place since the beginning and that will disappear when demand for block-space outstrips the supply. I like the free market you describe, but its probably not very realistic and therefore too risky. Our entire society is built on law and people are conditioned to be dependent on the same. With the new financial regs following the Great Recession, it will take generations of p2p success stories across a variety of industries and social placements before financial or any other regs aren't a concern for businesses and individuals seeking to transfer value. Too many people were injured by irresponsible market actors and the financial crisis of 2008/09 is still too raw in the collective psyche (entire lives and career trajectories were altered). Consequently, incremental change is the name of the game imho. The most realistic course of action, then, is to accept that regs designed for consumer protection are coming (for better or for worse) and that mass adoption of this awesome, liberating p2p ecash technology will depend on it being so seamless a caveman can use it and understand it. Knowing these factors ahead of time is why some businesses and/or projects will succeed and why others - and possibly including Bitcoin as project - will be twiddling their thumbs in dark in a few years.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@cliff

i doubt there is much money laundering going on in Bitcoin now. the mkt cap is too small and the #tx's too few. they risk standing out and how do you cash out to fiat with the regs at the exchanges being so tight? if anything, laundering will be easier once we reached a thousands of TPS. "security by obscurity" aka "safety in numbers". which also btw strengthens basic human rights and privacy.

i also think Blockstream does in fact make a target for gvt regs if they can be demonstrated to be able to control Bitcoin. which is what this blocksize debate is all about; control. they may be trying to control it for their own profits via offchain products like LN & SC's for a while but if they are successful at that, then why couldn't they be also threatened by gvt coercion to control Bitcoin, ala Google? oh wait, isn't Eric Schmidt a BS investor? this is why Satoshi stepped down; he didn't want to be found and coerced as the inventor of Bitcoin. a wise choice, imo. if we can get the centralization out of core development the system will be much stronger.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Holy shit guys, its time we "centralize" and capitalize on this. No way Pierre would have bitten onto this 3 months ago. He was someone I that was on opposite spectrum then me last year .

One word: SegWit

The bitcoin-assets guys and gals don't like SW because of its soft-fork where old nodes can't verify SW signatures. If it means supporting a block-limit increase to stall SW take-up then it is worth it.

Erdogan

Aug 30, 2015
@cliff
No. How could the regulators possibly know what is best? They can't, they don't have the info that the market actors have, and because they are not into value creation, they are into value siphoning.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@solex

ah, makes sense.

core dev digging themselves deeper and deeper. hence the death threat from Mircea and now Rochard.

hey, i'm an "asset guy"?

Reactions: majamalu and solex

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@Peter R

he's one of the Nakamoto Institute guys. he wrote a few of their original articles but was terribly overshadowed by Daniel Krawicz. Rochard is militant as well towards anything statist. which isn't bad except he takes it to the nth degree. he's also trollish on Twitter occasionally lashing out and attacking ppl. i've had run ins with him in the past. but clearly, he's a smart guy; i think an accountant by trade. so glad to see he's come around. i'll give credit to anyone who's willing to learn and change his position.