Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cbeast

Sep 15, 2015
Oh, I don't believe BSV will succeed through transactional volume. Fintech is going through a crackdown. Crypt0 is dead. Third-world countries are exit scamming. Alphabet agencies are exit scamming. Banks are no-limit gambling. Empires are crumbling. It's eschatological. Then there is this humble little tech called BitCoin preaching peace. It's getting crucified at the moment, but it will be embraced as the vehicle to launch new empires.

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
Im weirdly interested in the timeline in which bsv achieves both an unrecoverable failure state and in which csw never leaves the scene.

worth the ticket
Post automatically merged:

BREAKING:

SEC MOVES TO BAN BSV
FINDS OUT ITS ALREADY SUFFICIENTLY BANNED

-SOURCES

cbeast

Sep 15, 2015
If SEC bans BSV I suspect he will sign. He will sue. He will go public with launching a new coin with his IP.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
WTF. The Bitcoin Association just admitted Selfish Mining is viable.
On June 24, 2021 and then again on July 1, 6 and 9, an unknown miner operating (as an apparent impersonator) under the ‘Zulupool’ moniker engaged in malicious block re-organisation attacks on the Bitcoin SV (BSV) network. This type of attack, known as a ‘block withholding’ attack, involves ... creating a chain of competing blocks – re-written to the benefit of the attacker... - in parallel with the correct chain. These malicious blocks are created in secret then released all at once to orphan the correct blocks from honest nodes.

Yip. That sounds just like the selfish mining, I'll Give CSW the benefit of doubt given BSV difficulty is so low because the BSV toke has very little value to others meaning that it can be reordered with a very low risk to losses in opportunity costs, and that wasn't stipulated as one of the conditions for selfish mining.

It doesn't help that Taal has like 70% of the hashrate so it could be just as real as Taal is ignoring blocks mined by other miners and orphaning them so they dont need to work on the longest chain. (aka they won't orphan their own blocks because they have the hash to make sure they are always the winner) This is not good at all for BSV, and spinning it like an attack is just ignoring the problem, and the problem is BSV has little to no value.

To all those culty people who say they don't care about price, well you should. it's important. This problem gets worse as the price drops.

Last edited:

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
"The attacker isn't adding blocks to the end. He has to go back and redo the block his transaction is in and all the blocks after it, as well as any new blocks the network keeps adding to the end while he's doing that. He's rewriting history. Once his branch is longer, it becomes the new valid one.

This touches on a key point. Even though everyone present may see the shenanigans going on, there's no way to take advantage of that fact.

It is strictly necessary that the longest chain is always considered the valid one. Nodes that were present may remember that one branch was there first and got replaced by another, but there would be no way for them to convince those who were not present of this. We can't have subfactions of nodes that cling to one branch that they think was first, others that saw another branch first, and others that joined later and never saw what happened. The CPU power proof-of-work vote must have the final say. The only way for everyone to stay on the same page is to believe that the longest chain is always the valid one, no matter what."

-Satoshi Nakamoto, 2008

cbeast

Sep 15, 2015
To all those culty people who say they don't care about price, well you should. it's important. This problem gets worse as the price drops.
Why care about something you can do nothing about? This is the act of a malicious individual and it needs to be dealt with. CSW says that nobody is anonymous. It shouldn't be hard to expose the culprit and end their scheme.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Why care about something you can do nothing about?
Bitccoin is lifting itself up by the boot straps, what that looks like is speculators (BSV culists call them scammers) speculating on the future demand and utility. Those who are invested in future demand and utility can build products and services to convert from speculative value into real value that will fuel demand. CSW dose not distinguish, and call them all criminals which is discouraging. So we can do something, we can work on creating demand.

This is the act of a malicious individual and it needs to be dealt with.
There would probably be no double spend if Taal just continued building on the longest chain of valid blocks. This situation looks like Taal orphaned a competitor chain because they could.
It shouldn't be hard to expose the culprit and end their scheme.
It will likely go no where in court. But dont get me wrong, I'm long BSV and building services that will benefit those who are long BSV, I'm just cognoscente of all the damage and trust thats being eroded by ego, and a need to be right.

Once his branch is longer, it becomes the new valid one
exchanges/users just need more confirmations before they can trust a transaction is confirmed.
For BSV to have the equivalent of 1 BTC PoW confirmation, it needs about 250 confirmations - CSW is mostly wrong when he says it's not security. It is! In reality PoW creates the incentive that ensures blocks are not rewritten and it may be inappropriately called "security" but it is what secures the users from double spends.

It is strictly necessary that the longest chain is always considered the valid one.
I can see how it may be malicious if the attacker let difficulty drop so they could get more blocks and move ahead, That's just bad protocol design - blame ABC, so its accumulated PoW and longest chain with the current difficulty algorithm.

For now I wont bother mining BSV it's a wast of energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: bitsko and cbeast

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
Im weirdly interested in the timeline in which bsv achieves both an unrecoverable failure state and in which csw never leaves the scene.

worth the ticket

BREAKING:

SEC MOVES TO BAN BSV
FINDS OUT ITS ALREADY SUFFICIENTLY BANNED

-SOURCES

trinoxol

Jun 13, 2019
Germany
It is strictly necessary that the longest chain is always considered the valid one. [...]

-Satoshi Nakamoto, 2008
This is a key point. Bitcoin's strongest contribution is to create guaranteed consensus among untrusting peers. That way, even global enemies would be incentivized to cooperate. Playing with reorganizations breaks that consensus property.

For the same reason, seizing coins without forming a valid transaction is a recipe for disaster. It leads to disputes. The protocol provides no way to resolve such disputes. Suddenly, consensus stops, and global political strongarming is the ruling regime. This is exactly what we would like to transcend.

I'm not sure that signing block 9 for the world in the presence of COPA lawyers, and a judge would convince everyone he is Satoshi. But that moment is fast approaching should it be deemed relevant.
Signing still would not prove that Craig is Satoshi. But it would make it a hell of a lot more likely in the eyes of many.

Also, it would prove that he was at least very close to the Satoshi group. It's then much harder to discredit him.

It also would draw a massive media spotlight on BSV giving us an opportunity to onboard people who want to build on such a technology.

if you allow the node software to be downloaded, it downloads the blockchain which includes the whitepaper.
A node will also download a bunch of highly illegal pictures. We still have to see how this plays out. It certainly is a legal challenge to overcome this... I guess judges would have to find (concoct) a legal reasoning to be able to not outright ban Bitcoin entirely.

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
is BSV a security?

does BSV pass the howie test right now?

TAAL is doing almost all the blocks, CSW is rightly referring to it as 'my network', arguably there are statements that have been made which could be construed as market manipulation, within the statue of limitations...

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
Yes. The fees on ETH are as ridiculous as on BTC. The BTC capacity is 300'000 txs per day and ETH's is 1'500'000.
But, since some weeks there is Polygon (former Matic), a layer2 that already absorbs 5 million txs/day, with nearly zero fees and endless capacity. It works, while LN doesn't.

Lack of progress on the PoW projects caused me to diversify into Polygon a few weeks ago. It was late, but not too late it seems. As a result of the price explosion, I am now heavily overweighted in polygon.

If you follow their Twitter account, you will see new projects being added every day at a 'mind boggling' pace .

cbeast

Sep 15, 2015
is BSV a security?

does BSV pass the howie test right now?

TAAL is doing almost all the blocks, CSW is rightly referring to it as 'my network', arguably there are statements that have been made which could be construed as market manipulation, within the statue of limitations...
It's not an investment if it is not sold by its issuer. Ethers were sold by their issuer. I'm sure other altcoins were as well. Reselling by a third party releases the issuer from the issuing contract if it was in good faith. Bitcoin is a contest, like the Olympics. The players don't pay to win. So no, BitCoin isn't a security in any sense. It is used for security in a different context and definition.

Reactions: AdrianX and bitsko

shilch

Mar 28, 2019
WTF. The Bitcoin Association just admitted Selfish Mining is viable.

That quote doesn't sound like selfish mining to me at all but just like a plain-old 51% attack. Selfish mining means holding back found blocks for a specific amount of time in order to increase the share of blocks relative to the own hashrate.

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
nChain releases blockchain data management and integrity service:

press release:

first client: