Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
everybody needs to read this post from /u/theymos. and as i've brought up many times; who the hell is going to be incentivized to run a SC full node, esp if you accept the core dev argument that we don't have enough Bitcoin full nodes?:

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
It wasnt my intention to sidetrack the bitcoin unlimited ama, although I did want to draw users to this thread, and air out the problems of the new being the same as the old... unfortunate but very important to note, feeling a bit like a menshevik among roger vers bolsheviks.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@theZerg

Andrew, i told Kristov Atlas to come at you hard on Tuesday. be ready :)

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
U better be on my speed dial then!

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@lunarboy

i don't think i ever answered you about the paper claims towards phyz.

the way i see it, all those paper claims have come as a result of debt based claims. debt is what had driven gold's price to it's top in 9/2011. now all that debt is collapsing. but it is fiat based debt, so any contraction forces up the value of the USD, not gold. which is why, imo, the price of gold continues to collapse cuz fundamentally gold is a shitty form of money, let alone a SOV.
[doublepost=1449356707][/doublepost]@theZerg

hey, i spent part of my afternoon beating off all his Q's on Twitter!

Norway

Sep 29, 2015
Adam Back is talking about fungibility on the Scaling Bitcoin Conference. I thought Erik Voorhees solved that with Shapeshift. How about just scaling up the transaction capasity?

albin

Nov 8, 2015
No amount of conferences or talking or intellectualizing is going to create a consensus when you have one faction that believes that blockspace must be artificially constrained in order to produce a functioning fee market, and another side that believes that no such thing is necessary.

Everything that folks are doing that does not relate to coming to grips with this is issue is a waste of time that will not lead to any progress. Peter R's talk in Montreal was basically the only talk that explicitly brought the real issue in contention into the public discourse.

It's not that difficult to figure out which side is right, when the one side has some reasonably sensible theoretical framework and a reasonable amount of empirical confirmation, plus a lot of intuitive consistency with the history of Bitcoin actually functioning since inception, and the other side has rambling evasive self-contradictory thought-experiments powered by a sophist's misapplication of introductory micro and reacts to rigorous argument from the other side with trolling accusations and coercive attempts to silence.

Last edited:

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Greg is out if we have big blocks:
This comment is about a bug in XT around the traffic shaping code that I offered. However, the original pull request is:

int64_t amt = max((int64_t)1, min(amt2Recv, MAX_RECV_CHUNK));
char pchBuf[amt];
int nBytes = recv(pnode->hSocket, pchBuf, sizeof(pchBuf), MSG_DONTWAIT);

So Bitcoin Unlimited users unaffected!

https://github.com/gandrewstone/BitcoinUnlimited/blob/0.11cfg_stats/src/net.cpp#L909

Also, its funny how Greg feels he can speak for many of the other Core devs. I guess we really should be calling it Blockstream Core.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
The schedule is goddamn amazing. This is a tremendous bait-and-switch.

The obvious sense in the community at large is that what's needed is miners to come to some kind of consensus about what they would be willing to support in the fairly short-term.

There's maybe two or so presentations in this entire program that have anything whatsoever to do with the issue at hand right now.

Instead this is practically a two-day long pitch to convince miners that Blockstream Core is in charge of business, by rolling out a litany of talks about tangentially related long timescale technologies that are largely vaporware at this point.

If I were a Chinese miner that isn't in some business relationship with Adam Back, attending this conference would make me furious.
[doublepost=1449368769][/doublepost]Imagine that this was a conference for car manufacturers to get together, and come to some kind of consensus about what reasonable safety standards would be over the next several years, and almost all the talks were about what folks think the self-driving cars in the future are going to be like.

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
Instead this is practically a two-day long pitch to convince miners that Blockstream Core is in charge of business, by rolling out a litany of talks about tangentially related long timescale technologies that are largely vaporware at this point.
I occasionally get anonymous tips, and a few I've received recently are relevant to this observation:

About a week ago, I received one about "panic at Blockstream about no one wanting to use bitcoind to run their business". Then, two days ago: "Lots of large Bitcoin companies are uncomfortable with the direction that Blockstream has been taking Bitcoin Core recently, and are looking hard at alternative implementations."

In light of those comments, what you're saying about the schedule, makes the conference sound like a last ditch effort to stem the bleeding of their userbase.

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
The last speaker with the funny voice (Madars Virza) is a PhD student supervised by Ron Rivest at MIT. I had a nice talk with Madars in Montreal--he's definitely a smart guy but I think a bit green with respect to what Bitcoin is. Ron Rivest is the "R" in the RSA Cryptosystem for those who don't know.
[doublepost=1449370262][/doublepost]The current speaker, Andrew Poelstra, is a Blockstream guy and a PhD student (in mathematics IIRC) in Texas somewhere. He actually grew up in the town right next to where I grew up outside of Vancouver. He is "andytoshi" on Bitcointalk and has a close working relationship with Gmax.

Last edited: