Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

albin

Nov 8, 2015
The party line now from multiple sources (at least gmax and drak so far) seems to be something like "wallets requested this".

The only information I've been able to uncover has been obviously GreenAddress, and maybe the fact that Kristov Atlas works for Blockchain and made comments on github without overtly opposing it. Also about two years ago somebody from the now-defunct Hive wallet was famously a John Dillon apologist at the time of the email leaks.That seems about right for the level of factual distortion routinely produced by these people.

Reactions: majamalu

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
it was fast

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7119

maybe I'm misreading but it seems that Peter Todd have just proposed to change the default way Bitcoin core wallet will use to send funds.

default true full-RBF option

edit: grammar

Last edited:
Reactions: rocks

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
somebody from the now-defunct Hive wallet
Hive isn't a wallet - it's an attack:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=637227.msg7520282#msg7520282

We at Hive agree that so-called crypto-currency is not money—even if it can be used that way, and even if it is sometimes convenient to describe it that way. We're actively working on our language, but let me be crystal-clear about that perspective now.

I know that $1,000,000/BTC was an exit strategy for a handful of people, but there's nary a prayer of it playing out that way. We of Earth love our novelty, and I in particular find the idea of artificial digital scarcity so painfully fucking boring that I'm going to spend my time making your world view more difficult to sustain, as both a career and a hobby.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Disgust is peaking.

We need Gavin to take the Lead!

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@theZerg, @Inca fwiw I can help with devops tasks, e.g. gintian build, testing, setting up infrastructures. I could even review patches, but c++ it's not one of my best skills, to use an euphemism.

Last edited:
Reactions: cypherdoc

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Last edited:

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
@sickpig What we need right now is EXACTLY that. We need an automatic build process to prepare for our release. I want to have a signed but unofficial release ready before an AMA I am doing on Dec 8, with more than just my node on the network. The official release will be the exact binary, if BUIP001 is voted yes. PM me!

We also need Windows testing.

@Inca can you run a node? It would be great to have nodes online by Dec 8 so searches turn up more than just one.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@theZerg

you can use 4 of my nodes for testing if you want.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
“In addition, the appreciation in the value of the Bitcoin portfolio (in US dollars) would have also generated a significant return for the Bank . . . . However, . . . as the proportion of reserves held in Bitcoin rises, the volatility of reserves would also increase.”

- See more at: http://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/news/74760/economists-suggest-bitcoin-reserve#sthash.vOkM4wrw.dpuf
[doublepost=1448818324][/doublepost]@theZerg

They're all Ubuntu. But there's some flexibility since they're all VPS. I doubt they have Windows options though.
[doublepost=1448818527][/doublepost]@theZerg

I'll pay to spin up a Windows one for you though. I'd like to be the run managing it though as I'd like to learn how to test on Testnet.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
I can get you hand built ubuntu 14.04 images on monday, since that is what I am using right now.
I am working on figuring out how to do a real build procedure for Windows.

I'm a bit derailed because I found a bug in Blockstream Core which was using 100pct CPU if network connectivity failed so I am working on a workaround for that.

We can IM or skype and I can set you up with testnet, some coins and some cool scripts. Its great that you want to manage it. I don't really need your nodes until its time to turn them on on mainnet. I need other people to install the thing on other machines, click around and try to break it. :)

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@theZerg

ok, just let me know what you need. the 4 nodes are currently running XT on Ubuntu.

we can talk on Skype or Facetime when you need me.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
the Bitcoin Computer is pretty bad ass.
[doublepost=1448824433,1448823500][/doublepost]
great article. i liked this part:

"So why haven’t miners rushed to adopt this “profit maximizing” policy? Well maybe one reason is that it isn’t actually profit maximizing. The theory outlined above seems to be unduly focused on short run profits and not the overall health of the bitcoin ecosystem which is necessary for maximizing long term profits over the life of their mining investments. Blowing up zero confirmation transactions to the point where retail stores stop accepting Bitcoin, while simultaneously enabling rampant fraud, hardly seems good for value of your mining operation."

i'm telling ya, miniblockists project their own value system onto Bitcoin game theory: extreme negativity about the human condition.

catlasshrugged

Aug 28, 2015
The party line now from multiple sources (at least gmax and drak so far) seems to be something like "wallets requested this".

The only information I've been able to uncover has been obviously GreenAddress, and maybe the fact that Kristov Atlas works for Blockchain and made comments on github without overtly opposing it.
I haven't discussed RBF of any kind with anyone at Blockchain.info; to my knowledge, no one at the company with the decision-making ability to implement RBF has a preference one way or the other. Having worked for a wallet company for a while, I'm not seeing any user demand for RBF; to the degree that BCI wallet users' transactions are going unconfirmed for extended periods of time, I expect this can be remedied by the client choosing a more intelligent mining fee the first time around.

In general I don't have an opinion about RBF yet; I try not to express opinions about things I haven't thought deeply about.