Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
Just wandering around my earliest posts on that forum and found this one. Interesting to see what I got right and what I got wrong here.

Richy_T said:
Gabi said:
I'm sorry Atlas but this time i do not agree. Bitcoin really rely on people running the full client. Yes, lightweight clients and online wallets (avoid them please unless you love losing money) exists but bitcoin is p2p, we need as more people as possible acting as nodes
Do we really though or do we just need "enough"? I would suspect that the number of nodes required probably goes as something of the square-root of number of users. As more users get on board, it might be possible to have the client back-off on how much work it actually does. Make it somewhat configurable maybe since some of us are happy to donate CPU time where others may not be so much. Admitedly it's early days to be getting to that level of sophistication but otherwise, most people will just end up on lightweight clients anyway.

Plus, excuse me but I'm not that deep into things yet. I currently run the client and the miner. Bitcoins assigned as transaction costs go to the mining side of things, correct (Though I'm thinking the pool operators probably keep that)? If running the client is essential for the functioning of the network, should there not be some kind of reward assigned there (other than the nice warm glow inside of course)?

Reactions: Norway and majamalu

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Man, it sure is fun kicking the beehive over there on reddit. Core trolls get so "emotional".

Reactions: majamalu and bitsko

Tomothy

Mar 14, 2016
@Norway

I'd love to see more work done on NFC, I just have zero time to help at the moment!

@Norway and @Peter R

WRT NFC, wasn't or isn't one of the concerns NFC licensing? My understanding is there is a usage fee associated with that tech and patent which was one of the thoughts about why it was better to go towards an SMS/Mobile phone solution (similar to cointext) and to distribute discounted $5 cell phone blocks.

Also regarding the NFC Ring, I'm pretty sure a company in NY is doing something very similar. So maybe one option would be writing software that would work with BCH for those solution options? Another licensing their tech/design for your own? I still like the credit card idea more simply because many are already used to using that.

https://kerv.com/en/
https://www.digitaltrends.com/wearables/token-smart-ring-for-payments-passwords/
http://nfcring.com/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mclear/nfc-ring-2016-range-one-smart-ring-unlimited-possi?src=btn-nfcringcom-btm

So some sort of bulk licensing deal to either buy and use how you want the nfc chips + software licenses/costs associated with that. I'll continue when I have some time in the KaChing thread and see if i can find out information.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@cypherdoc what do you think about this one?

especially this part:

The crypto economy is not only about BCH though, nor is it only about money. It is also about protecting freedom of speech and freedom of association. BCH should embrace innovations and the free market, and be supportive and inviting of all kinds of applications being deployed on the BCH blockchain.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@cypherdoc what do you think about this one?

especially this part:
As far as the part about burning BCH, the way id answer that is it appears Satoshi did the same although we're still not sure what will happen with the mysterious Satoshi Group come 2020.

As far as the second part, I agree with their view on freedom of speech and interaction. But as far as the non money apps and token schemes they seem to be supportive of, the way id answer that is that Antpool, as big as they are, is just a subset of the market as a whole. It's very possible they're mis interpreting BCH's ultimate destiny as much as anyone else, including me.

I just firmly believe Bitcoin was ultimately meant to disrupt the field of money and little else. It's not really an conflict based argument. All we can do is keep advancing theoretical collaborative arguments as to why we think one way or the other and let the market figure it out.
[doublepost=1524241468][/doublepost]Like this one

https://bitco.in/forum/threads/gold-collapsing-bitcoin-up.16/page-1181#post-62681

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
yep

Reactions: bitsko

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
Reading some of Uri's tweets got me thinking about the small-world "1.3 hops" idea.

Imagine you have N nodes connected in complete graph. Each node (not each connection) has available incoming and outgoing bandwidths of B. Node 1 finds a block at t=0. What is the minimum amount of time until every other node has a copy of the block and what is the average number of hops? To simplify the math, assume ping times are negligible, ignore processing time, assume ideal network connections, etc.

throwaway

Aug 28, 2015
What about this: even if it's slower to transmit the new block to all other miners at once, they do it anyway. Miners only need the header; they'll mine an empty block until they've received and validated the full block. They don't really care if they mine on top of the previous block or the new one (mining being memory-less and all (right?)), but they choose to mine on top of the new one because that's what everyone else will do.

(Edit: I'm addressing the medium post with this.)
https://medium.com/@bloxroutelabs/the-scalability-problem-very-simply-explained-5c0656f6e7e6

Edit 2
Whenever there's a new block:
The miner who found it wants everyone else to get it ASAP so they stop looking for competing blocks of the same height.
The other miners want the header of the new block ASAP so they can stop wasting hashes on top of an old block.

Last edited:

throwaway

Aug 28, 2015
...okay, selfish mining is moronic.

We are (at least, I was) used to think of a miner's hashrate as a percentage of global hashrate, instead of a miner's hashrate compared to CURRENT DIFFICULTY.

Selfish mining might increase your percentage of blocks compared to other miners, but it won't give you more total blocks because it doesn't magically increase your (hashrate / difficulty)!

Edit: then again, if your difficulty changes every block, hurting everyone else with SM makes difficulty artificially low, in turn helping everyone? What?

Last edited:
Reactions: majamalu

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
@throwaway

Yup, the reason it works in theory is because difficulty falls due to all the orphans. You can show quite easily that if your "attack" increases the orphan rate of honest miners more than it increases your own, you earn more block rewards in the long run than you would following the default protocol.

That said, I don't see the SM vulnerability as something that needs to be "fixed."

throwaway

Aug 28, 2015
I think I now remember someone saying SM was less efective in btc because of the long difficulty periods or something like that. I guess that stayed in the back of my mind all this time until I finally understood.

So, there's no way to lower the efficiency of the whole network (increasing the orphans) such that it gets less blocks than it should, because the difficulty comes back down to the equilibrium point. Then it follows (like you said) that if you get less orphans than everyone else, that automatically means you get more absolute reward per hash.

Took me a long time, but I got there.

Reactions: Mengerian

Tom Zander

Jun 2, 2016
@jessquit

you mean this question?

Help me understand where anything I said is wrong please.
The post postulates a scenario and a possible solution (priorities and other centralising solutions) to that scenario.

Jess, its important to be clearer in your writing. You were not arguing, you were proposing a solution that has not been built, not been tried. Therefore the burden of proof lies with you.

But since you asked politely; the idea you proposed to reject or delay incoming blocks from connections that are for some reason seen as lower priority goes against the concept of proof-of-work. The core Satoshi idea was that ANYONE creating an actual valid proof will win. Not just your friends or some "prioritised" miners.
Because as soon as you start prioritising like that, group theory kicks in (cheating & cartel) and in the long run everyone loses.

Additionally your opening statement in and of itself is false;

SM already has the lowest possible latency connection to the HMs via the fully connected graph.
we still have that pesky light-speed limit that causes you to loose time when sending stuff around the planet.

shadders

Jul 20, 2017
But since you asked politely; the idea you proposed to reject or delay incoming blocks from connections that are for some reason seen as lower priority goes against the concept of proof-of-work. The core Satoshi idea was that ANYONE creating an actual valid proof will win. Not just your friends or some "prioritised" miners.
Because as soon as you start prioritising like that, group theory kicks in (cheating & cartel) and in the long run everyone loses.
If that were true then every accidental chain split in the history of bitcoin would have resulted in a new accidental consensus rule. The core idea of Satoshi was consensus ENFORCED by proof of work on the longest chain, NOT consensus before PoW. We do the latter now but not doing so doesn't break the former. Short term forks are not contrary to this principle. They cannot not exist. There is no reason a group of miners can't disavow a block or set of blocks, if they can make a longer chain and maintain it they win. This is not something we want to happen often. But it can happen and so long as mempool consistency is reasonably maintained no users are going to lose out since a forked block will likely confirm all the same transactions as it's sibling.. A policy change by a less that supermajority of miners is an inevitability if we give it long enough. We need to start getting used to the idea that this is a non-broken part of bitcoin.

Reactions: freetrader

Tom Zander

Jun 2, 2016
@shadders

I think you went off on a complete tangent that has nothing to do with jessquits idea of de-prioritizing some miners. De-prioritizing unknown miners will not lead to chain-splits. SM is the cause of the orphans (really micro-chain-splits).

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
We be on the move, BCH's

Reactions: majamalu and bitsko