Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Hey! Welcome back! ( although I guess from the prior msg you never really left...) are you willing to tell us what your alternate nick was for continuity?

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
@cypherdoc I see the ICO craze as a byproduct of the recent bubble. But a meta coin can't out compete the fundamental as a basic cryptocurrency. It would need to add significant new features. By bringing tokens to BCH we deny the stock, bond, coupon, ticket, etc market to a metacoin. The only thing left is complex smart contracts. I don't see this as a big market (for awhile anyway), and it's noncompetitive with BCH (Script is very far from smart contracts and there is serious doubt as to whether we'll want to go that far WRT complexity). So we might as well support a metacoin smart contract system, especially one that pays BCH fees. It's too bad they made their own XCP, but it still creates more value for BCH holders than ETH for example.

If we don't enable tokens on BCH then we get stuck on the gold side of the utility argument, when another altcoin comes around that does support them.

Reactions: Norway and rocks

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
anyone know of a place to dump BTG for BCH?

the further dive below the 200DMA is confirmation of the new bear market. i think it's dying, personally:

https://i.imgur.com/lPY3Sso.png

any of you mods know why i am not seeing any editing icons in my Reply box?
[doublepost=1521338782,1521337700][/doublepost]why is it when i log out i can see everyone's footer including my own which contains my PGP key? but when logged in, i see nothing, as well as no editing icons for replies? was my acct stripped of features/privileges after i left?
[doublepost=1521339103][/doublepost]i'm pretty sure this is the case; i can't even edit my own posts.
[doublepost=1521339255][/doublepost]>why is it when i log out i can see everyone's footer including my own which contains my PGP key? but when logged in, i see nothing, as well as no editing icons for replies? was my acct stripped of features/privileges after i left?

nvm, i found that check box to unveil them. but still can't edit.
[doublepost=1521339356][/doublepost]ok! edit icons magically appeared! back in business.

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@cypherdoc I see the ICO craze as a byproduct of the recent bubble. But a meta coin can't out compete the fundamental as a basic cryptocurrency. It would need to add significant new features. By bringing tokens to BCH we deny the stock, bond, coupon, ticket, etc market to a metacoin. The only thing left is complex smart contracts. I don't see this as a big market (for awhile anyway), and it's noncompetitive with BCH (Script is very far from smart contracts and there is serious doubt as to whether we'll want to go that far WRT complexity). So we might as well support a metacoin smart contract system, especially one that pays BCH fees. It's too bad they made their own XCP, but it still creates more value for BCH holders than ETH for example.

If we don't enable tokens on BCH then we get stuck on the gold side of the utility argument, when another altcoin comes around that does support them.
i'm not sure we have to worry about Eth or the ICO's anymore. we know regs are about to hit hard:

Kain_niaK

Dec 19, 2017
Man I own all of these forked coins, I figured trying to sell Bitcoin Gold around 400 USD was not worth the risk of installing software I should not install. I am new with Linux and I have a seperate hard drive just for my crypto, and I just swap drives when I need to do anything crypto. Which means there is no need on my linux system to ever install software, I can do that on my windows system. It also means my windows system can't read my linux system (even if there was software that could read ext in RAW) because I can only have one hard drive at a time in my laptop.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
After 4 years of hearing promises on LN it was interesting to review the beta launch a few days ago and to finally have something concrete to look at. No more "the best devs are working on it" or misleading promises, we now have something in hand to look at. And looking at LN as it is shows a huge step backwards, the number of problems seems to keep growing, the usage scenarios make no sense and there are more and more very plausible attacks being shown. The only answers seem to be "Watch Towers" (seriously) and centralizing hubs. That Bitcoin was hijacked and development stopped 5 years ago to force transition from something that works to what LN is in practice is so disheartening. Still do not know if this is a demonstration of a fundamental flaw in Bitcoin's governance, or if Cash will be able to rise from the ashes so to speak and if the whole process will simply strengthen Bitcoin in the end.

Man I own all of these forked coins, I figured trying to sell Bitcoin Gold around 400 USD was not worth the risk of installing software I should not install.
Another issue with dumping forked coins is doing so can lower the privacy and security of your existing bitcoins, this is because to dump them you have to expose your public keys on the forked chain and also will likely combine addresses and outputs unless you are very careful. And this assumes the SW isn't malware designed to steal your coins in the first place.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Man I own all of these forked coins, I figured trying to sell Bitcoin Gold around 400 USD was not worth the risk of installing software I should not install. I am new with Linux and I have a seperate hard drive just for my crypto, and I just swap drives when I need to do anything crypto. Which means there is no need on my linux system to ever install software, I can do that on my windows system. It also means my windows system can't read my linux system (even if there was software that could read ext in RAW) because I can only have one hard drive at a time in my laptop.
the proper process to harvest BTG is to first move your BTC, then claim your BCH, and then sweep your private keys containing other hard forked coins into Coinomi (there's one other wallet i think) that can properly sweep the BTG from the keys. within Coinomi, there is the opportunity to directly convert to BCH via Shapeshift or Changelly. Changelly is much more efficient since there is no limit. not sure about the cost difference. none of these tools require AML/KYC which if you're looking to clean your coins while staying anonymous is a way to go. it's basically instantaneous. it's all feasible now since no one is using BTC and hence the fees have come down.

Last edited:

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
I can only have one hard drive at a time in my laptop.
Assuming your laptop has one, you can get caddies that allow you to insert hard-drives into where your DVD drive goes. There are also Live CDs if you don't mind the restrictiveness.

rocks

Sep 24, 2015
Have been reading up more on OP_DATASIGVERIFY and BUIP078 and it is not clear to me how two parties can securely build a transaction. BUIP078 enables a transaction that pays one of two or more parties based on some Oracle's input. A simple example is: "if 'oracle data states X' then 'pay to Alice' else 'pay to Bob'".

What I am struggling to understand is how can Alice and Bob build this transaction between themselves without relying on a trusted 3rd party?

A common example for how I think BUIP078 would be used is: 1) Alice pays 1 BTC into the transaction by signing 1 BTC worth of spendable output, 2) Bob pays 1 BTC into the transaction by signing 1 BTC of spendable outputs, 3) The winner gets 2 BTC.

Since both Alice and Bob need to spend into this transaction, they need to be able to do so securely in a manner where they sign the complete transaction. But how do they do this independently and without access to the other's coins?

Without the ability to do so they would have to trust a 3rd party exchange, by for example both paying 1 BTC to a 3rd party who then generates the above transaction from a single output. This workflow is not ideal.

Does anyone know how Alice and Bob could create the above transaction without an intermediary? This seems to require the ability for Alice to first build her part of the transaction with: 1) her output is spent and signed, 2) the conditional transaction's structure and rules signed and 3) her winning address signed. Then Bob would take that and add: 1) his matching output spent and signed, 2) his winning address signed. The combination would then become a fixed transaction sent to the P2P network.

Is this possible? If not then how do Alice and Bob create such a transaction without trusting a 3rd party to do so?

Richy_T

Dec 27, 2015
In my mind, the ideal way to do it would be for the oracle to put a value on the blockchain (though this would obviously require a fee) and the transaction would complete based on that. I think that transactions based on things external to the blockchain are potentially problematic and may be asking miners to do more than, perhaps, they would want to.

Though this is something I haven't looked into too closely so that's just a first impression.