Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

That's not good

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
So still need to catch up since the move, but I though this was crazy news 5% increase in total hash and another 7% predicted over the following 2 weeks. That's a big investment chewing of over 10% of the total hash infrastructure.

Usually I'd say very bullish anyone know where it came from is this just past info showing up on the network?

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Absolutely. But that's a very static way of thinking about it. Another way is that that grey area is unmet demand that an alt-coin will soon fill.
Or that Blockstream wants to fill with SC's and LN at the expense of centralization.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
The continued slow grind down beating and increasing volatility of the market is causing Bitcoin to turn up.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
So still need to catch up since the move, but I though this was crazy news 5% increase in total hash and another 7% predicted over the following 2 weeks. That's a big investment chewing of over 10% of the total hash infrastructure.

Usually I'd say very bullish anyone know where it came from is this just past info showing up on the network?
Wasnt there news of 16nm becoming a reality?

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@cypherdoc yip the have some very efficient hardware coming online this could be it. I'd expect to see it materializes under an IP belonging to them. Still exciting that's a big investment.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@AdrianX

Yeah and it's investments like that which will prevent a large miner from abusing the very system he is benefiting from.

This is not pie in the sky thinking. Bitcoin turns traditional economic reasoning/assumptions on its head because of the soundness of its fixed money supply. Be careful you don't get trapped into the prevailing thinking of the current fiat system which involves plenty of fraud and bailouts at all levels.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015

That's really not good

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Two Types of Production Quotas (Block size limits)

I met over lunch with a Masters of Economics student from UBC to discuss Bitcoin. He brought up a great point about how the block size limit serves as a "production quota." He explained to me how we can use the supply and demand curves from my fee market paper to show that if the production quota is below the natural equilibrium block size (Q*), that economic theory suggests we suffer a "deadweight loss" of economic activity equal to the area shaded brown in the lower chart below.

I don't have an economics background, but my understanding is that a production quota that distorts the free market dynamics (lower chart) can only be of a net social good if it serves to reduce or eliminate some negative externality, and the net loss of economic activity is outweighed by the net gain from reducing that externality. (I suppose the small-blockers could argue that the negative externality is "centralization" or "insufficient hash power for security.")

Censored from /r/bitcoin, re-posted to /r/bitcoinxt:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoinxt/comments/3jn0pg/illustration_for_two_types_of_production_quotas/
That seems like a very realistic graphical representation of what's going on.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@Peter R both Peter Todd and Jeff Garzik twetted that their presentations was accepted, do you have any news about yours?

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Huge news and congratulations Peter! Wow!

Reactions: AdrianX

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
hmm, i think some presenters ought to consider voluntarily donning a bear cup hat during their presentation...

Justus Ranvier

Aug 28, 2015
I've spent some time considering Bitcoin's security model in depth to try to figure out what kind of guarantees it actually delivers.

As part of that process, I've tried to work out how much, if any, protection from double spending and censorship Bitcoin users would have if there was just one miner producing all the blocks.

The double spending side actually looks fairly good. Proof of work means that a miner has to pay a cost to orphan their own block. The cost is a irrecoverable expenditure of electricity they would not otherwise need to pay if they mine honestly.

Well, that's true if you assume that a miner loses revenue if they choose to mining a smaller number of sequential blocks than the maximum they could for a given electricity expenditure.

That is only true if some portion of the miner's revenue is tied to a specific block height. That portion of miner revenue is the minimum incentive against double spending.

As long as the fraction of miner revenue that is tied to the block height is non-zero, then Bitcoin's double spending resistance is non-zero, even in the case of a single miner with 100% of the hashing power.

Right now the block subsidy is the only source of miner revenue which meets this criteria. Future methods of paying for security (assurance contracts, etc) would need to be tied to specific block heights in order to perform the same security function as the block subsidy.

See also: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=130222.msg1401763#msg1401763

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@JustusRanvier

Another simpler and more reliable source of block revenue per block height is obviously escalating tx fees according to the original satoshi vision. why do we even let talk occur that forces these fees offchain?