BUIP107: (closed) Sell the BCH portion of BU's funds for BSV

"I'll also remind again (and I'll keep doing this) that it wasn't ABC who suggested lexicographical ordering as a first step, they wanted to move to Any-Ordering first but were swayed by Tom Harding's (XT) suggestion to go directly to LTOR."

You reminded us again and again on this. But you don't remind us on that Tom was very much for delaying the fork when it became obvious that it will be a disaster. I think he even voted against on the developer meeting, but not sure about this. Nobody except ABC wanted to push CTOR even on cost of the most terrible thing that could happen to Bitcoin Cash.

"Once the devs had agreed on this for the fork, ABC just stuck to the plan."

Yes, and they still stuck to the plan when everybody knowed the consequences. When asked about, ABC just pointed to nChain and to "we stick to the timeline", as if this would uncatastrophe the consequences.

"Blaming CTOR solely on ABC is very disingenuous"

Maybe. But blaming ABC solely on the consequences of the CTOR activation is absolutely correct.

Reactions: torusJKL

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
You reminded us again and again on this.
Have I really? I thought this was the first time I pressed this point, although everyone who paid attention should know it.

Since you're so sure, where did I mention this "again and again"? Find me another instance.
But blaming ABC solely on the consequences of the CTOR activation is absolutely correct.
No, it's not. You clearly don't understand that it's not software developers who primarily activate changes on the network (or not), but miners and other large economic entities.

Last edited:
Maybe it wasn't you, but I heard this as a talking point so often ... And it makes not much sense, as Tom maybe proposed it, which is OK, but didn't ramble for splitting the chain for it.

But you are right. Bitmain and bitcoin-com also collaborated in the shitcoinization of bitcoin cash

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Maybe it wasn't you
So first throw out some allegation, then either fail to prove it out of laziness or because you know it's false. And not have the class to either determine whether what you said was true or not, but simply let it stand with a "maybe".

Remind me to ignore you.

79b79aa8

Sep 22, 2015
At least as far as CTOR was concerned, experienced developers from various clients were on the fence until late stage, and rough consensus seems to have emerged that the change can accrue (many?) more benefits than harm (technically). Of course this didn't stop SV from splitting the network over this issue.

I'll also remind again (and I'll keep doing this) that it wasn't ABC who suggested lexicographical ordering as a first step, they wanted to move to Any-Ordering first but were swayed by Tom Harding's (XT) suggestion to go directly to LTOR.

Once the devs had agreed on this for the fork, ABC just stuck to the plan. Blaming CTOR solely on ABC is very disingenuous, although I'll allow for the possibility that you aren't aware of what transpired behind the scenes.
there was no need for CTOR, no pressing issue that remotely warranted the possibility of a chain split. ABC was the leading implementation at the time, it proposed the change and could have called it off too. no shifting away the responsibility for the split can hide away the mismanagement.

but in any case no, i don't remember there being rough consensus among the devs (as i write this, i can hear johnny2000 laughing). i remember @awemany making extremely qualified statements about it. i remember flowee being broken and @Tom Zander leaving. i remember @Peter R being noncommittal.

but ABC went ahead and pushed it, come what may, in a style that built up for months -- no detail small enough to dictate, not the color of the logo, not the proposal to use 'bits' -- , and then proceeded to tell everyone to line up their ideas for the next round of improvements. you know, in order to stick to the schedule. but here is the thing: the "improvements" are irrelevant at this point, because the chain has become economically useless.

Last edited: