BUIP067: New Members for Election #7

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@Bagatell
For sure we can do that: ask for a seconder on the new members thread. Good idea!
https://bitco.in/forum/threads/bitcoin-unlimited-membership-join-us.208/page-12#post-44405

Typically we want new BU members to have an account on this forum as this is where the BUIPs are posted, discussed, and managed. Also, we have discussions specific to BU development.

I feel sorry for @Hyena's previous application, and I hope he re-applies sometime. Not sure that anyone else active on slack has failed to be voted in.

Last edited:
Reactions: sickpig and AdrianX

lunar

Aug 28, 2015
@Bagatell and @solex

Yarp, several people from the last two elections are more than deserving of a place, but they are more active on slack than here in this forum.

If we are not careful, we be going down the ironic path, of selecting only the vocally active people rather than the productive ones.

It would be good to encourage some people to re-apply.

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
I am disappointed we only have three new members. Ironically there were candidates that are active on Slack that were turned down by current members that are not active on Slack.
also worth noting:

Article 2: Confederation
I. All Bitcoin Unlimited (henceforth BU) activities shall be recorded and be publicly accessible.
I feel slack is probably an ideal medium for discussion around technical development, however I don't find it easy to follow and it's not publicly accessible.

I'd still like to see discussion around BUIPs happen in public where the comunity, members and new applicants can discuss the pros and cons.

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
I agree with @AdrianX .

It is very hard for me to keep up with the slack channel. Let alone base my voting decisions on it.

Together with the fact that we don't have full logs that are archived and easily accessible without logging into slack, it is a sub optimal solution for an open project like BU, IMHO.

It might be old school but a mailing list is still my favorite channel. Second would be a public forum like this one.

bitsko

Aug 31, 2015
making a slack publicly accessible is a possibility.

it involves enabling plain irc, running a logging bot which posts to a webserver.

I find that to be more reliable and accessible that slackarchive.io at least, and a lot more reasonable than a paid plan which wants a credit card and charges more or less depending on 'active users'

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
And then there is the format, slack seems to be more exploratory chat, and less conditioner discussion.

maybe I could get used to it but every time I've tried it seemed slow and hard to follow.