BUIP004 (passed A1): RBF/double spending support

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
@Roy Badami

It's really helpful to see your write-up which is by far the most authoritative treatment on RBF thus far. I have just given it a 2nd reading to think about all the points you raise. It is clear that there are pros and cons to all the flavours of RBF and the best long-term approach for BU to opt-in RBF is uncertain depending upon the level of take-up by mining and non-mining nodes.

Your recommendation of P1 is wise, and perhaps @Inca can more explicitly offer this in BUIP004 before the vote.

You mention your write-up is rough, but if it were a bit more formalized like a paper I think it would be valuable to have it as a permanent addition to the bitcoinunlimited.info resources page
http://www.bitcoinunlimited.info/resources.html

Last edited:

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
I agree with @Roy Badami and classic -- essentially to keep the 0.11 behaviour (no RBF) for now. As nearly as I can tell, this position maps to a vote for option "A1" in the BUIP.

While there is good reason to go with the XT idea (relay the txns so nodes know they are being cheated but don't mine them), right now no miners are running BU AFAIK. So I think that we should go with something simple (revert the opt-in changes) that makes BU take the political position we want it to.

Reactions: Peter R

Aquent

Aug 19, 2015
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Aquent votes on Bitcoin Unlimited BUIPs on Saturday, Jan 30th 2016,
on the web forum bitco.in/forum:

BUIP002: FOR
BUIP004: FOR A1
BUIP005: FOR
BUIP010: FOR
BUIP013: AGAINST
END

Just added a comment to the BUIP013 thread for my voting against reasons.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJWrLguAAoJED0k2w2yfJ7TwCwH/jFne/OaYJkD/IydERHAeL3Y
IKqEfE5sUzt/GsN3lwKNtfGzwffqyXxUS2ypRnFPb048Bv6K3U22F43Euh5ciwak
YS1X8NbTxqJC1O8HSorNETQpp++sekTcDaBzKzcrMjFMPJvhFZaPeJhX9HFBkxAl
o7xfjTzNqfbvgpvW8AIMLqb/2OJN4bnBjtha3OsEZduF/+w3w+LAKYd3fRmAk9EE
R2e7e8w1nF8Va06oEpI2khhN3kMwJ2h8J/GcbiJvHRV/8GxnJ8Ca2xQlSERl8qVN
thErJs5oYl5cpoXrbG2mlOmAG8RlKGHFdDasqoxdlYv9b0pNnap9qCj1qG8mAHc=
=ynLn
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Voting for BUIP004 is now closed

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Looking for a quick review of the code to disable RBF:

https://github.com/BitcoinUnlimited/BitcoinUnlimited/commit/8bedc2e6d937412ef362519e9a6c02221a44c2a7

Also, developers what's your opinion on what I should do with the tests. We WANT the RBF tests to fail... should I change the "sense" of every RBF test to reflect this or just let it fail as shown here:

bu/qa/rpc-tests $ python replace-by-fee.py
Initializing test directory /tmp/testkJ2B2B
Running test simple doublespend...
JSONRPC error: 258: txn-mempool-conflict
File "/me/bitcoin/bu/qa/rpc-tests/test_framework/test_framework.py", line 135, in main
self.run_test()
File "replace-by-fee.py", line 93, in run_test
self.test_simple_doublespend()
File "replace-by-fee.py", line 149, in test_simple_doublespend
tx1b_txid = self.nodes[0].sendrawtransaction(tx1b_hex, True)
File "/me/bitcoin/bu/qa/rpc-tests/test_framework/coverage.py", line 44, in __call__
return_val = self.auth_service_proxy_instance.__call__(*args, **kwargs)
File "/me/bitcoin/bu/qa/rpc-tests/test_framework/authproxy.py", line 140, in __call__
raise JSONRPCException(response['error'])
Stopping nodes
Cleaning up
Failed

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Ofc its not "usually" a good idea. But this is a very special situation. It might be best to comment out replace-by-fee.py in any automated suites and add a new file no-replace-by-fee.py... that has a few negative tests.

YarkoL

Dec 18, 2015
Tuusula
yarkol.github.io
If RBF is a missing feature, then no sense in including the test file.
No need to verify the expected result of non-existent feature failing either,
as long as the choice to use the said feature depends on user only.

Reactions: TrevinHofmann

donald26

Feb 2, 2024
HOW EASILY YOU CAN RECOVER YOUR LOST CRYPTO/FUNDS: I’m recommending Hacker Steve to anyone who has been a victim of these cryptocurrency binary investment scams. I was a victim and I am ashamed of how I lost 407,000 AUD to these people pretending to be forex and binary traders. I almost lost everything to my family until I came across Hacker Steve online, an expert in crypto recovering from these scammers. He was able to recover my money in six hours. I’m really happy sharing this out there with anyone who needs his service. You can contact him via Gmail: Hackersteve911@gmail.com

donald26

Feb 2, 2024
HOW EASILY YOU CAN RECOVER YOUR LOST CRYPTO/FUNDS: I’m recommending Hacker Steve to anyone who has been a victim of these cryptocurrency binary investment scams. I was a victim and I am ashamed of how I lost 407,000 AUD to these people pretending to be forex and binary traders. I almost lost everything to my family until I came across Hacker Steve online, an expert in crypto recovering from these scammers. He was able to recover my money in six hours. I’m really happy sharing this out there with anyone who needs his service. You can contact him via Gmail: Hackersteve911@gmail.com

Cd19221

Jan 23, 2024
Buying cryptocurrency and holding is old news. With copy trading, you can profit from the experience of seasoned traders by copying their moves. Learn the ropes of the market without the stress of making every decision yourself. Click and start copying their trades to earn profits. Interested to know more? Comment below and let's discuss. Remember, investing in cryptocurrencies carries risks, which is why it's always important to do your own research and consult with a financial advisor if needed. C d 1 9 2 2 1 @ g m a i l . c o m