Announcing BitcoinUnlimited v0.12.0: Experimental Release

Peter Tschipper

Jan 8, 2016
I remember asking @Peter Tschipper about this, and he mentioned that Xpress Validation only applies to blocks reconstructed by the Xtreme Thinblocks code path, and not to blocks received in other ways (at least at the time of our discussion, which was a few weeks ago I think). If you want I can try to find his explanation - it was on this forum.

I
Yes that's true, Xpress Val only applies to xthinblocks....regular blocks have to be fully validated unless we were to reconstruct the block from tx's in the mempool but it's not worth the effort to code that because eventually everyone will be using xthins.

Reactions: YarkoL

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
it's not worth the effort to code that because eventually everyone will be using xthins.
I like that optimism!

I would, however, make it a little clearer. A newcomer reading the current Release Notes statement would not necessarily pick it up from this:

BUIP010 Superfast block validation leverages the earlier validation of transactions which are in the mempool so that only previously unseen transactions in a block need full validation.

_mr_e

Aug 28, 2015
Great job guys, would be great to get some official reports put together about all the savings this client offers in the field compared to core so we can blast around social media.

sgbett

Aug 25, 2015
UK
building from a cloned github repo require the execution of

Code:
./autogen.sh
as first step
Hi yeah sorry I kind of glossed over *exactly* what I was doing, which is deploying to opsworks using a custom cookbook the relevant recipe is this one: https://github.com/sgbett/cryptonet-opsworks/blob/master/recipes/bitcoind.rb

which does:
Code:
    ./autogen.sh
    ./configure --disable-wallet
    make
    make install
Looks like @freetrader was correct, configure failed a little earlier and the error was just one line above! Told you it was a n00b question ;) (Ubuntu 14.04 btw)

Code:
checking for exit in -lboost_program_options... yes
checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes
checking for exit in -lboost_thread... yes
checking whether the Boost::Chrono library is available... yes
checking for exit in -lboost_chrono... yes
checking whether the Boost::Unit_Test_Framework library is available... yes
checking for dynamic linked boost test... yes
checking for SSL... yes
checking for CRYPTO... yes
checking for EVENT... no
STDERR: configure.ac:10: installing 'build-aux/compile'
configure.ac:5: installing 'build-aux/config.guess'
configure.ac:5: installing 'build-aux/config.sub'
configure.ac:9: installing 'build-aux/install-sh'
configure.ac:9: installing 'build-aux/missing'
Makefile.am: installing 'build-aux/depcomp'
parallel-tests: installing 'build-aux/test-driver'
configure.ac:45: installing 'build-aux/compile'
configure.ac:45: installing 'build-aux/config.guess'
configure.ac:45: installing 'build-aux/config.sub'
configure.ac:28: installing 'build-aux/install-sh'
configure.ac:28: installing 'build-aux/missing'
Makefile.am: installing 'build-aux/depcomp'
configure.ac:52: installing 'build-aux/compile'
configure.ac:15: installing 'build-aux/config.guess'
configure.ac:15: installing 'build-aux/config.sub'
configure.ac:25: installing 'build-aux/install-sh'
configure.ac:25: installing 'build-aux/missing'
Makefile.am:5: warning: user variable 'GZIP_ENV' defined here ...
/usr/share/automake-1.14/am/distdir.am: ... overrides Automake variable 'GZIP_ENV' defined here
Makefile.am:58: warning: user target 'distcleancheck' defined here ...
/usr/share/automake-1.14/am/distdir.am: ... overrides Automake target 'distcleancheck' defined here
src/Makefile.am: installing 'build-aux/depcomp'
src/Makefile.am:462: warning: user target '.mm.o' defined here ...
/usr/share/automake-1.14/am/depend2.am: ... overrides Automake target '.mm.o' defined here
configure: WARNING: Qt dependencies not found; bitcoin-qt frontend will not be built
configure: error: libevent not found.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
Anyway look like I'm missing a dependancy on libevent... will rectify...

Peter Tschipper

Jan 8, 2016
I like that optimism!

I would, however, make it a little clearer. A newcomer reading the current Release Notes statement would not necessarily pick it up from this:
Good idea, and also we need to be more clear about the config for connect-thinblock=<ip>...seems to have caused some confusion also. Probably should add a real example to the release notes so that users can see clearly it's supposed to be entered in the config file.

Reactions: freetrader
@freetrader
Yes, port 8333 is open, I have 9 connections out and 16 connections in.

try it with this link

if the problem is with the forum-softwae:
link-https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03DkGFR35BDOG1udXlndlRwUzQ/view?usp=sharing

@Peter_Tschipper
I'm synced for more than 2 blocks. Have activated debug=thin. Can try to use connect-thinblock=ip instead of addnode.

But since no Unlimited Node gives me an ingoing connection, I surely can't receive thin blocks.

if you'd have an asnwer to the questions about Xpress validation (and it's connection to Thinblocks) I'd welcome it.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
I will be available in an hour to help.

sgbett

Aug 25, 2015
UK
thanks for the help guys, is there a more appropriate channel so i don't spam up the release thread?

(feel free to delete my posts above btw)

@Peter_Tschipper

Yes, got you! And it's incoming. If it starts with 96. ...

(can you delete the IP-number? I feel a bit uncomfortable linking my IP to the internet - maybe we can change IP-adresses via pm to coordinate thinblock-testing in realnet -)
thanks for the help guys, is there a more appropriate channel so i don't spam up the release thread?

(feel free to delete my posts above btw)
I'd prefer this too

Peter Tschipper

Jan 8, 2016
@Christoph Bergmann Yup that's me..so a block just came in...did you see it come in as a xthin? You should have at the very least seen "Starting Preferrential Thinblock Timer" in your log...

Sure if you're uncomfortable I'll remove your IP.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
all,

I think slack will be a better suited tool for this.

@freetrader already ask to open up BU slack to subscription without invitation.
[doublepost=1456493748][/doublepost]
(can you delete the IP-number? I feel a bit uncomfortable linking my IP to the internet - maybe we can change IP-adresses via pm to coordinate thinblock-testing in realnet -)
if your modem/route does not filter tcp port 8333 your IP is already available on the internet via

https://bitnodes.21.co/nodes/?q=80000

Last edited:
@Christoph Bergmann Yup that's me..so a block just came in...did you see it come in as a xthin? You should have at the very least seen "Starting Preferrential Thinblock Timer" in your log...

Sure if you're uncomfortable I'll remove your IP.
Thanks -- nice to meet you via the client :)

The logfile has a strange timing. The entries are timestamped more than 2 hours behind my time.

But I don't find anything with "thin". I mean, I get the block from every incoming peer?

@sickpig

I know, and I don't like this so much, but at least on bitnodes.21 it's not connected to my name.

/slack: I recently tried to join slack discussions from core / classic and it was terrible slow.

Peter Tschipper

Jan 8, 2016
@Christoph Bergmann One thing that occurred to me is that because you're located in Germany you will tend to receive blocks first as they propagate from china (where most of them come from) so for the time being you may end up getting most of the Real Blocks and providing thinblocks to the rest of us...I noticed I got my last thinblock from a node in Switzerland which should get them slightly before you...So for the time being, you might want to addnode to the node there if you want to see incoming xthins. Or as I said, use connect-thinblock which will guarantee an xthin every time no matter where the nodes are located.
[doublepost=1456494364][/doublepost]@Christoph Bergmann Can you post your bitcoin.conf file here? and are you sure it's located in the right folder? And did you restart your node when you made the changes to the bitcoin.conf file?

@Peter_Tschipper

Yes, since I load the blockchain from a non-standard folder, I'm sure the .conf is in the correct folger (also it recognized my addnodes-entries when I connected manuelly). And I restarted my node today ~10 times.

Now I recently restarted with "connect-thinblocks" instead of "addnodes". Maybe you can add me again to your peers?

If you got a thinblock from me I'm happy. Didn't know that block are moving from china via europa to us/canada.

Our buddy from the swiss is already in my .conf.

Edit: that's my .conf (now updated with theZergs Node)
Code:
maxconnections=100

datadir=/***/Blockchain

debug=thin

connect-thinblock=78.156.107.88
connect-thinblock=78.88.6.87
connect-thinblock=169.45.95.196:8333
connect-thinblock=159.122.78.214:8333
connect-thinblock=108.44.192.182:8333
connect-thinblock=169.55.99.89:8333
connect-thinblock=104.197.99.28:8333
connect-thinblock=96.54.102.88:8333
connect-thinblock=85.3.93.45:8333
connect-thinblock=79.221.214.224

addnode=159.122.78.214

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Add one of these lines to your bitcoin.conf

for EU/USA:
addnode=159.122.78.214

for China Japan, etc (node is in Hong Kong):
addnode=161.202.44.42

I will try to keep these up a "stable" Bitcoin Unlimited nodes.

Peter Tschipper

Jan 8, 2016
@Christoph Bergmann So are you getting those outgoing connections ? One thing though is that I don't think you can use more than 8 connect-thinblock . Only 8 outgoing connections are possible, I'm wondering if that might be causing a problem.
[doublepost=1456496002][/doublepost]@sgbett Yup, i connected to one of yours

Reactions: sgbett

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@Christoph Bergmann

try this:

stop bitcoin-qt
cd /***/Blockchain
mv debug.log debug.log.old
start bitcoin-qt
paste here the first 100 lines of debug.log (or paste pastebin)