Will the Developers support main-chain scaling as a guiding principle?

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
X-post from BCT https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1168622.msg12303934#msg12303934
Not sure if it will last, or get censored, but I feel that this is a important point that the community needs to think about.

The Developers have written an open letter to the community about Bitcoin scalability.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1168393.0

They have done a lot of work and describe it here:

Much work has already been done in this area, from substantial improvements in CPU bottlenecks, memory usage, network efficiency, and initial block download times, to algorithmic scaling in general. However, a number of key challenges still remain, each with many significant considerations and tradeoffs to evaluate. We have worked on Bitcoin scaling for years while safeguarding the network’s core features of decentralization, security, and permissionless innovation. We’re committed to ensuring the largest possible number of users benefit from Bitcoin, without eroding these fundamental values.

However, the real question for them is: Will they make a commitment to the principle of main-chain scaling?

Will they support volume handling on the main-chain as a preference to off-chain solutions?

1). Bitcoin should be scaled so that transactions are handled on its main-chain, as a first and guiding principle.

2). Bitcoin's main-chain capacity should be allowed to scale at a rate broadly in line with the general improvement in global computing technology.

How hard is it for them to publicly support 1&2 above? Unless they don't agree....?

Reactions: AdrianX

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
i think mr_E said it best.

about the only thing good in that letter was knowing that Amir is still alive.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
if you're interested in more frequent update about Amir fate just subscribe to unsystem mailing list:

https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/unsystem

Amir last email:

https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20150831.123752.7d8776ff.en.html

p.s. @Bloomie, is it me or sometime the "quote" button is not available at the bottom of a post?

edit: fwiw https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20150831.204306.e800d0ee.en.html
amir went dark, according to cody wilson "he's working hard. Just developing something that requires a lot of his attention"

Last edited:
Reactions: Cryptodude999

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
@sickpig You're right, the quote button in the last post of the thread is hidden to discourage excessive quoting and keep discussions at sane readability levels.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@Bloomie thanks for the clarification. While I'm at it, what software is used to run this forum?

Last edited:

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
whatever it is, it's way better than BCT. i'm enjoying all the little button features everywhere on the pages.

Reactions: finway

Ivanhoe

Aug 28, 2015
Amsterdam
Yes it indeed is way better, they only reason i sometimes go to BCT is for Masterluc's topic over there. If he would stop posting there i would stop going there.

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
It's called XenForo
thanks for the info.

did you pay for the license using your own money? if yes just drop me a Bitcoin address where to send some utxo :p

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
Thank you very much for the offer! Yes, I'm paying for everything out of my own pocket for now. Not sure if I want to take donations after the BCT fiasco.

If we become a major Bitcoin forum (and things are indeed looking favorable), I'll need to come up with a way to generate some sort of income to pay for expenses without irritating the users, maybe non-intrusive ads or something.

But right now the focus is on getting the word out about the forum and getting the site's features right until they work for most people.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
any responses yet from support to our varied requests, esp the ones about readability?

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
Thank you very much for the offer! Yes, I'm paying for everything out of my own pocket for now. Not sure if I want to take donations after the BCT fiasco.

If we become a major Bitcoin forum (and things are indeed looking favorable), I'll need to come up with a way to generate some sort of income to pay for expenses without irritating the users, maybe non-intrusive ads or something.

But right now the focus is on getting the word out about the forum and getting the site's features right until they work for most people.
OK thanks for the information.

I dunno the cost of xenforo license, but surely, as soon as user base will start growing, a good chunck of your expenses would be related to servers colocation, maintenance and DoS mitigation measure.

I hope you will have to deal with all this kind of "problems" and costs, that would demonstrate the success of the project.

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
Yes it indeed is way better, they only reason i sometimes go to BCT is for Masterluc's topic over there. If he would stop posting there i would stop going there.
He paints the most beautiful Elliott-charts:

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
He paints the most beautiful Elliott-charts:

img snipped
I've read the original thread and it seems that we're in the beginning of the III historical wave, whatever is the meaning of it.

Still I'm confused by A/B/C notation, normally used in the corrective phase rather than the "motive" phase, where numbers 1/2/3/4/5 are used.

As you might have guessed I'm not an EW expert by any means, do you care to explain me what's the chart meaning?

ps @Bloomie I find the missing "quote" button on the last comment quite annoying.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
I think the fact that long quotes get abbreviated and need to be clicked to see the whole thing is enough. There are plenty of times where quoting is necessary, especially when replying inline, which is very useful when responding to long posts.

I understand and agree with the sentiment that people quote too much. I try to quote very efficiently. But bad quoting is a user habit, and trying to change it by disabling a useful feature is not worth it, in my opinion. It falls under the same category as holding to quality, succinct posts: there's no way to mandate it. Only the culture can be cultivated to encourage it, nothing more.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@Zangelbert Bingledack

Yeah, that nice feature of truncating the quote down to a reasonable size takes care of the readability issue quite well.

Zarathustra

Aug 28, 2015
@masterluc's count ...

I've read the original thread and it seems that we're in the beginning of the III historical wave, whatever is the meaning of it.

Still I'm confused by A/B/C notation, normally used in the corrective phase rather than the "motive" phase, where numbers 1/2/3/4/5 are used.

As you might have guessed I'm not an EW expert by any means, do you care to explain me what's the chart meaning?
The chart means that
USD 1200 was wave I of V.
C = II and
III to new alltime highs is running now.