We are out of time

Matthew Light

Dec 25, 2015
We are going to start seeing terrible performance on the Bitcoin network very shortly. It's January 4th and we are running strings of 1MB blocks now periodically during different times of the day.

Is anyone with a vested interest in the future of Bitcoin going to go around to the key important players and get a larger block solution of some kind up and running on their hardware?

Reactions: AdrianX

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Just note that there may be an unexpectedly large range for fees to climb before most people even notice (it may be that only the heaviest transacters will notice, and probably just curtail/consolidate their usage).

Despite the rightness of all the big blocksize cap arguments, this could still draw out for another year. Let's not set ourselves up for a smackdown on that point by claiming slightly higher fees ("slightly" from an average user pain perspective may be a lot from a percentage perspective, since they're so low now) are going to cause users to leave in droves and transactions to be stuck left and right. It may, but I see the main risk as being if we have a sudden adoption spike, or a price rally.

Beware the Peter Schiff syndrome of calling the disaster way too early because of not seeing all the little adjustments people can make to hold down the fort.

Matthew Light

Dec 25, 2015
The problem is, we need Bitcoin to work this year as we are heading into another recession / economic meltdown. That's when we could easily see another 10x user / price spike.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Yep, I'm expecting it. Though I'm also expecting the Core/Blockstream party to get crashed when that happens unless they have some serious kung fu prepared for us (and tested, working, ready to go).

Reactions: majamalu

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
Just note that there may be an unexpectedly large range for fees to climb before most people even notice (it may be that only the heaviest transacters will notice, and probably just curtail/consolidate their usage).

Despite the rightness of all the big blocksize cap arguments, this could still draw out for another year. Let's not set ourselves up for a smackdown on that point by claiming slightly higher fees ("slightly" from an average user pain perspective may be a lot from a percentage perspective, since they're so low now) are going to cause users to leave in droves and transactions to be stuck left and right. It may, but I see the main risk as being if we have a sudden adoption spike, or a price rally.

Beware the Peter Schiff syndrome of calling the disaster way too early because of not seeing all the little adjustments people can make to hold down the fort.
don't forget that no matter how high fees get, 1.1MB worth of real tx's won't fit into 1MB of block size.

Erdogan

Aug 30, 2015
Yep, I'm expecting it. Though I'm also expecting the Core/Blockstream party to get crashed when that happens unless they have some serious kung fu prepared for us (and tested, working, ready to go).
.. And @Matthew Light

To respond quickly to a sudden rush to bitcoin, the miners should prepare by having software that can handle big blocks, and prepare to be able to build on the first bigblock. (When they think that building on the big block means less risk of orphaning his block, than continue mining based on the previous smallblock). Deciding when to actually build a large block, can be left for later, after calculating the risk/reward. We only need one adventurous entrepreneur to make the first one.

I don't worry much about bitcoins future, but a sudden rise in demand which is not timely met, could be annoying, lot's of negative waves and desperate short-sighted attempts on workarounds in the form of services where the users have to trust companies with their coins.

On the other hand, things could be learned from handling a demand shock, growing the antifragility of the whole.

Back to the sofa.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
don't forget that no matter how high fees get, 1.1MB worth of real tx's won't fit into 1MB of block size.
While that's definitely true, the trouble is if we actually only have 0.1MB of "real" tx now. Then a 10x adoption surge might be fine-ish. Very hard to really know, as people aren't really economizing now.

Still I agree we don't want to be in the position of guessing with the next adoption surge on the line. Just want to keep the small block side from gloating that "the fee market is no problem, big blockers were full of it" for many months to come. There would be a boy-who-cried-wolf syndrome.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@Zangelbert Bingledack

it's probably reasonable to assume we have around 600kB worth of real tx's as this seems to be the avg during quiet periods of non-stress attacks and price ramps:

https://blockchain.info/charts/avg-block-size

personally, i think we've had full blocks for a while now. it's only 600kB b/c new and existing adopters have been turned off and turned away by unconf tx's, delays, and high fees. i think we'd be well beyond 1MB blocks routinely if not for the blocksize debate/debacle/bad press.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@cypherdoc

That's true too, but they can still gloat as long as there are no complaints because people will miss the unseen (all those businesses and transactions that didn't happen and therefore aren't around to complain, because of the Fidelity Effect). I'm thinking of PR here.

CryptoStar19

Jun 11, 2021
Seems like bitcoin is well today and we are long past this debate. The same is going to come and pass when it comes to the FUD of the day which happens to be China's crackdown on mining and the environmental FUD with bitcoin mining.

Members online

No members online now.