Visual arguments on the blocksize cap, dev decentralization, etc.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Can someone change this to say:

CORE
CONSENSUSWORTH SPOON-FEEDING

Also, archiving these from the other thread:

[doublepost=1451382887][/doublepost]Also from @Peter R

[doublepost=1451382988][/doublepost]And from @Windowly

Last edited:
Reactions: Windowly

Windowly

Dec 10, 2015
I've done another one today. . . [doublepost=1451466996][/doublepost]I want to do one as well on the concept of the blocksize being two different concepts in BU, but I haven't figured out the exact wording yet. If any of you have any quotes that specially stuck out to you on that please post them this way.

Last edited:

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@Windowly

I like it!

Possible alternative final sentence: "The free-market approach." (But I can see how "natural" ties in with the butterfly. Perhaps this version would use a nice image evoking free markets somehow.) Whether natural or free market is a better frame I'm not sure.

Windowly

Dec 10, 2015
I've also done your one @Zangelbert Bingledack . How is it?
[doublepost=1451469779][/doublepost]
@Windowly

I like it!

Possible alternative final sentence: "The free-market approach." (But I can see how "natural" ties in with the butterfly. Perhaps this version would use a nice image evoking free markets somehow.) Whether natural or free market is a better frame I'm not sure.
Ah I like the idea of putting free markets in there. . . I used natural because I think of free markets as natural in the sense that their is no interference or coercion. And the butterfly to tie into emergent. . . (maybe a bit far-fetched there, I don't know)

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@Windowly

Ooh thanks! I think for it to work the font has to be similar enough to the TED branding font (bold Helvetica?) to evoke the same feel. So at least thicker and a bit bigger. I spent an hour testing various fonts on a font website, but I couldn't find an option to bold it and I don't have the Helvetica font package myself.

Also: no need to attribute to me on any idea, I usually prefer it when my ideas appear to come from nowhere - but fine if you do as well.

The timing of the posting of this image may be crucial: right when the consensus being spoonfed issue arises, like when there is popular thread about it next (like that epic one by /u/anarchystar a few days ago). That includes a big thread or push from the Core side for "peer reviewed consensus" or whatever.
[doublepost=1451470491][/doublepost]Edit: The black text is pretty much perfect.

Windowly

Dec 10, 2015
Here is another one: [doublepost=1451471845,1451471164][/doublepost]
@Windowly

Ooh thanks! I think for it to work the font has to be similar enough to the TED branding font (bold Helvetica?) to evoke the same feel. So at least thicker and a bit bigger. I spent an hour testing various fonts on a font website, but I couldn't find an option to bold it and I don't have the Helvetica font package myself.

Also: no need to attribute to me on any idea, I usually prefer it when my ideas appear to come from nowhere - but fine if you do as well.

The timing of the posting of this image may be crucial: right when the consensus being spoonfed issue arises, like when there is popular thread about it next (like that epic one by /u/anarchystar a few days ago). That includes a big thread or push from the Core side for "peer reviewed consensus" or whatever.
[doublepost=1451470491][/doublepost]Edit: The black text is pretty much perfect.
Hmm I tried bold Helvetica - it must be a different font. . . I'll keep trying to see what I could do.
[doublepost=1451472143][/doublepost]This is not the same red font. . . but it's a lot more blocky at least.

Reactions: Peter R

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Hmm first one is better I think. Still letters too thin though. Maybe apply I slight blur effect? Or just go with it at this point :)

Anyway, no memes on/r/btc at the moment and the fee market thread is up, maybe a good time to post that Satoshi shadow pic?

Windowly

Dec 10, 2015
@Bloomie Ok sure!
[doublepost=1451489881][/doublepost]And another one posted -- this a letter from Satoshi (rather text-heavy) but still rather damning.

And another one here:

Last edited:

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
:p:p:p

I couldn't stop laughing for about a minute after I saw this!

You guys should get the fonts and formatting for this nailed and then try to submit to North Korea. Note that there's a space missing between "consensus" and "worth."

Also, there's been lots of memes on /r/btc lately. So I'd hold this back a day or so for max impact.

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
Oh right, I see.

There should be no space between "worth" and "spoon" then too.

Last edited:

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
Image idea: Modify this something like @Roger_Murdock describes below.

Note that in this metaphor the people crowded around the guy with the podium (obviously representing Core) don't all support Core's chosen direction. In fact, we can imagine that many of those signs say "Raise the Block Size Limit Now!" But those people are still part of the problem by failing to recognize that we don't need Core's permission to raise the block size. They're the people fretting on Reddit that "Core is killing Bitcoin" and threatening to sell all their bitcoins for alts. The guy walking away? He's the guy running (or coding up) an alternative implementation like Bitcoin Unlimited. That's what we need more of.

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
I think powerful imagery could be made based on this comment by @Roger_Murdock:
I was thinking more about this idea of the "blocked stream." And the more I think about it, the more it strikes me that this is a really damn good analogy for our situation (Dad joke: it's also a really good dam analogy).

This analogy first gives us the idea of pressure. If increased transactional demand causes the equilibrium block size to be larger than the artificial limit, that's going to create well, pressure. Now some (who I'll allow to remain nameless) might hope that the pressure caused by blocking the stream(TM) will simply force more of the transactional flow to be diverted to their preferred off-chain solutions. But that can only work if the dam holds.

So focusing on another aspect of the analogy, what is this "dam" made of? Well, it turns out, nothing very substantial. We might think of one layer of the dam as the "inconvenience barrier," the fact that, until recently, it was kind of a pain for most users to mod the Core code to set their own block size limit parameters. Another layer might be thought of as the "psychological barrier." This one I think is well-illustrated by that cartoon I linked to the other day. Breaking down this barrier simply involves recognizing that Core is not Bitcoin, we already have the power to change the block size limit ourselves by choosing what code we run, and we should exercise that power because allowing the decision about a key economic parameter to be made in a centralized manner is incredibly dangerous. If I had to name a third layer, I might say the "collective action barrier," i.e., we can all raise the limit if a substantial number of us act in concert, but no one can raise it by themselves. (Frankly, I think this last one is pretty minor compared to the first two.)

This provides a good summary of why I'm so optimistic that the limit will get raised. The pressure that's attempting to sweep away the dam is only going to increase as blocks get fuller and fees start to rise significantly. (As far I can tell, as of right now, this pressure has barely even started.) In addition, the dam itself is beginning to weaken. The "inconvenience barrier" is being rapidly eroded by Bitcoin Unlimited. Bitcoin Unlimited and the ideas behind it are also contributing to the erosion of the "psychological barrier." Maybe it's my own bias, but just based on what I've seen in the past week, BU seems to be starting to capture mind share very quickly.

(As an aside, this analogy also provides a nice visual for my thoughts on the frequently voiced concern that the current obstruction will allow an alt-ledger to take over. To me, that would be sort of like our metaphorical river tunneling through a half mile of solid rock to flow through an alternate available channel. The market could do that if it had to. But it doesn't have to because it's not the path of least resistance. Again, our "dam" here is mostly an illusion.)

Reactions: Peter R