Trading Etiquette?

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
I just realised I'm a whale! Some of the markets are so small even I could buy the entire ask side in one bite. Risto, Loaded, Goat, anyone! have any advice?

I wouldn't mind if this thread was moved to a trading or alts sub.

edit: Cheers @Bloomie

Last edited:

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
Having played with this some more I have some numbers to share. I just caused a 4.23% increase in the price for a cost of 2.0 units of the base currency. Am I wasting my time?

bucktotal

Aug 28, 2015
yes, you are likely wasting your time. however, as a whale, you have the opportunity to back projects you find interesting/important as you wish.

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
Why am I wasting my time? How many bitcoins would it take to achieve the above?

bucktotal

Aug 28, 2015
i dont really want to say you are wasting your time. i dont know what else you would be doing. maybe you are learning something, so its not a waste of time. i was just supporting your instincts that it might not be "worth it". but whose to say what is "worth it" without a better definition of your goals.

for these types of high beta bets, bankroll management would be to risk no more than ~1% on any particular bet. and you're looking for at least a 10x gain to make a difference to your whale-sized bankroll.

all things considered, i think its far more work and more risky now than it used to be (circa 2011-2013).

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
This thread is purely for entertainment purposes and should not be taken as trading advice.

But as I have accumulated coins and accounts since getting into cryptos it seems a shame not to make use of them.

Are you saying just HODL?

bucktotal

Aug 28, 2015
hey, i'll be the first to admit its fun to get your feet dirty and splash around a little. but its not like 2011 when you could use your btc to simply buy ltc or nmc, both of which provided amazing roi's a few times over the years with the massive swings. its not as simple now. there are lots of possible bets to make, and if you want to try to manipulate some markets, it might be tougher than it used to be.

i do think its a good idea to make some bets with ~10% of your bankroll total. i have some long shots as well.

also, to answer the OP title directly, there is no trading etiquette. either you win or you lose. there are probably more stories of people losing their shirts by trying to corner a market than otherwise (see Silver and the hunt bros, or risto and xmr). both lost most of what they put in.

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
10% is what I have in mind. I'm looking at bitcoin cross pairs which I understand from reading up on forex trading are supposed to
"provide much cleaner trend or range signals which will be unaffected by the day-to-day oscillations of the greenback (bitcoin)."

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/05/currencycross.asp

Not a lot to go on so far but note the DMI

What would happen to the forex market if all those traders only used 10% of their stash?

Last edited:

bucktotal

Aug 28, 2015
it looks interesting and i wish you the best of luck. although im not sure its worth the 25 usd per month fee at that exchange you linked.

bitcoin is a risky in investment in itself and you dont want all your coins out there in investment land where you dont control any of the private keys.

i have no idea about forex, i'd imagine the vast majority lose, and would lose less if they bet less.

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
The forex market, the worlds largest at $5 trillion a day would need to find $2.5 trillion+ worth of greater fools a day in that case. o_O

yrral86

Sep 4, 2015
The forex market, the worlds largest at $5 trillion a day would need to find $2.5 trillion+ worth of greater fools a day in that case. o_O
Forex is traded in leverage. Your 2.5 trillion figure assumes that when you lose, your side if the bet goes to 0. The $5 trillion is value exchanged, not change in value.

Most traders lose. Those that are successful gain market share unless they take their winnings and walk way. So there are fewer of them and more small losers.

If this isn't obvious to you and you actually believe that most people win, I suggest you stay far away from markets, particularly those that trade on leverage.

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
Shortly after resurrecting this thread there was an unauthorized attempt to access my blockchain account. Hmm..

Last edited:

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you can manipulate the entire buy side of a shitcoin, you will also cause widespread panic when you try to realize your gains and start liquidating.

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
@Bloomie Most likely. You would have to be a complete noob to do such a thing and I was a complete trading noob when I started this thread.

llugguss

Nov 24, 2020
As you mentioned, marketing can be defined in various ways and is an important sub-science of management science. It has many aspects, such as market strategies, sales, market research, and market positioning, as well as concepts related to advertising and brand promotion.