Theshold for Adoption of Bitcoin Unlimited?

allegro101

Dec 15, 2015
bitcoinnewsmagazine.com
Hi,

I am following the progress of the new BU client with interest but a point I am not clear on is the threshold for adoption for the new client. Anyone can run a full node using Bitcoin Core, Bitcoin XT or Bitcoin Unlimited right now as they wish with identical effect. Only If 75% of miners are using Bitcoin XT in January 2016 will a hard fork take place. That does not seem likely.

So what is the adoption threshold for Bitcoin Unlimited? Is there a percentage of adoption by bitcoin miners that must be met by a certain date? Thanks!

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
There currently isn't and I don't think there will be. The idea of BU is that it's up to the market. Run BU and you're see these two new screens in the settings:

You can choose to mine and/or relay bigger blocks, but you don't have to. If you're a miner, you'd probably want to be very careful about when you mine your first >1MB block, in other words you probably won't want to touch the setting in the first screen until you have studied the network and have solid grounds to calculate that your orphan chances make the larger block attempt worth it. The first miner to do it will be motivated by the fees during a quasi-crisis and the fact that many nodes are signalling their support or other credible way of calculating the expected profit would be positive for mining, say, a 1.1MB block instead of a 1MB block.

For the other settings, you could discourage whatever you consider to be "too large" blocks on the second screen, and how deep they would have be buried in the chain for you to give in and accept them. In this way, BU tracks consensus no matter what the dominant implementation is.

Consider this:

Last edited:

allegro101

Dec 15, 2015
bitcoinnewsmagazine.com
Still having trouble understanding how Bitcoin Unlimited will activate. Since the code is basically XT (my understanding) there is a hard limit on blocksize of 1 MB already in the code same as for Core. At some point a hard fork will be needed to remove that 1 MB limit. Am I correct in that assumption, and if so what are the requirements for the hard fork to activate? If I am wrong how did you manage to remove the 1 MB blocksize limit and still have code that functions. Thanks for the clarification.