Slack channel for Bitcoin Unlimited discussion

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
I am curious to know what happens on the slack channel, can someone please explain why people are using slack channels as opposed to this forum, what they are the benefits and let me know if I am missing anything by not being on one.

my biggest concern being they seem to be relatively private, is that good or bad?

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
Things that happen on Slack:
- general discussion (can't avoid, but mainly it gets lost in the wash)
- asking if someone has seen bug X, or knows a workaround / solution
- people asking devs questions about the software's expected behavior
- devs discussing implementation details, code review clarifications
- interactions with representatives of Bitcoin businesses
- planning, discussion, feedback on projects done by BU (e.g. the Great Firewall of China XthinBlock tests)

I find this forum better for long-term discussions of certain topics. Difficult to retrieve those discussions from Slack right now, but Slack has the advantage that you get to chat live with people you work with on the project, which is nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdrianX

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
The slack channel is for more transient discussion and compliments this forum which provides a historical record for measured explanations and formal decisions. This is the place to determine the overall state of Bitcoin Unlimited's efforts to achieve on-chain scaling and decentralized development.

Reactions: AdrianX

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
just came across this while looking at the artistic of federation:

The Secretary is responsible for creating, maintaining and moderating a public forum where discussion can be held.
how is public defined in regards to the BU slack? e.g. I cant read it without an invite?

Griffith

Jun 5, 2017
Hi,
I was wondering if i could get an invite to the bitcoin unlimited slack? my email is [edit provided privately]

thanks,
Griffith

Last edited by a moderator:

Zangelbert Bingledack

Aug 29, 2015
@AdrianX Slack has drawn some of the discussion away from the forum, which is a substantial loss as it falls down the memory hole, but on the plus side it allows for very fast coordination and propagation of ideas (especially if you are in multiple slacks), quick questions to people who can help fill in a missing piece in your understanding, quick hashing out of various ideas and plans, and some nice focus in certain specialized channels.

Another big downside to Slack is that it is a time sink. Limiting your viewing to some specialized channels can help though.

jtoomim

Jan 2, 2016
Can I have an invitation to the BU slack, please? DM me for the email address.

Also, what do people think about creating a Telegram group, and maybe switching to that? I don't like Slack's interface.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
Hi @jtoomim
Certainly, please DM me with an email to invite.
Yes, slack is not perfect, but it does have a critical mass of >300 users which makes it a big decision to try and move.
Wouldn't Keybase be a better alternative than Telegram, for its extra security?

Last edited: