Quoting the last reply in a thread

humanitee

Sep 7, 2015
First of all, this forum is sweet! Renders nice on mobile, looks very clean, saves drafts, just all around awesome!

My only complaint so far is when I want to quote the last post in a thread and I can't. I realize this is because most of the time a discussion flows in a linear manner but this is not always the case, and I'm in the habit of always quoting whoever I respond to because IMO it helps readability and coherence. If you pick apart a post or respond to many different posts at once, it's nice to be able to have it all there. It's also advantageous to be able to capture a post before it changes.

I haven't tried to do it manually, so I guess that might be an option.

Is it possible to make it so we can quote the last reply in a thread?

Last edited:

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
Thank you for the feedback. Yeah, quoting the last post (and overquoting generally) is discouraged for several technical and non-technical reasons, so we have a plugin in place that prevents that. I believe someone (@Justus Ranvier?) may have discovered a hack that allows to quote someone manually even with the plugin enabled.

I agree inline quoting is a good way to address someone point-by-point, but probably less than 5% of users use it for that purpose. The majority use the quote and reply functions interchangeably, which on other forums that shall remain nameless results in something like this:

So feel free to quote manually as the need arises, as long as you keep your audience's sanity in mind.

Last edited: