Posting images from Imgur

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
I've been testing the forum's performance on various platforms and am pretty convinced now that embedded Imgur images tend to slow things down. This is especially evident in the iOS version of Chrome, where scrolling comes to a total halt when you come across most embedded media, including embedded Imgur images.

The solution to this issue is pretty simple. Instead of posting the "Share" link provided by Imgur, which embeds the image (Imgur has been pushing people to share images this way), use the "BB code (Forums)" version of the link, which is the fourth link down the list.

So instead of posting this link:

Code:
http://imgur.com/OkDDdt8

you would be posting this code:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/OkDDdt8.jpg[/img]
Using the BBcode link saves an extra call to Imgur's servers and bypasses unnecessary javascript use, which is why it's much faster at rendering. This is how it looks on Imgur.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
my problem is that i'm using this convenient Imgur plugin in Chrome which allows several less clicks and a "copy link" which i then paste into the forums link URL. it doesn't offer the opportunity for the BBCode unless i am willing to go thru several more clicks using your method:

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
So you don't go to Imgur.com to upload the image there?

Btw the BBcode is pasted straight into the body of the post, so you'd be saving a step there.

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
the plugin button takes me to imgur.com with one click and the interface allows me to simply paste the image with one click, which uploads it, then i hit that "copy link" button and then paste that into this forum's link button.

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
OK gotcha. It's actually the code at Imgur.com that's allowing you to paste the image, not the plugin. If you press control+v while visting Imgur.com, the image will be uploaded automatically. Pressing enter will publish the image. So all the plugin does is take you to the site and spit out a link to copy. That link is heavily loaded with javascript though, which is a waste of electricity (and therefore battery life) for all visitors who have to load and process it.

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
Yes, but that would turn existing images into plain links.

Bloomie

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 19, 2015
FYI, I am probably going to disable Imgur integration because it's significantly hurting the site's performance. It makes zero sense to use javascript for something as rudimentary as inserting an image in a web page.

You can still embed Imgur images the normal way, which is by using the image button in the toolbar or the img BBcode.