Just joined need help!

REBlane

Mar 21, 2017
Lilburn Georgia
Hi everyone! I set up a dedicated PC running Linux Mint 18.1 and have finished downloading using bitcoin-qt. I have a home network, and want to be sure this PC is isolated from the other computers on the LAN. I did set up single port forwarding on the router for the computer's static IP, and set the port to 8333 for incoming and outgoing.
Is this correct, and what else should I do?

Thanks for any help!
Rick

torusJKL

Nov 30, 2016
Welcome!

I never did what you do but the port number is correct.
Do you see connections in the bottom right?

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
That would depend on the features of your router.

if your network uses network permissions it'll be isolated by default. (my node is isolated this way, not the most secure but secure enough)

REBlane

Mar 21, 2017
Lilburn Georgia
Welcome!

I never did what you do but the port number is correct.
Do you see connections in the bottom right?
the lower right shows 8 active connections and the blocks are up to date. But there are no incoming connections.
[doublepost=1490409598][/doublepost]OK, Thanks AdrianX! I guess I'll let the router take care of forwarding incoming to the node.

Last edited:

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Double check your router is forwarding to the correct IP, best to set it to static so it doesn't change on restarts.

8 connection is The default if port 8333 is not forwarded.

Check https://bitnodes.21.co/ scroll down to check node it will tell you if the network can see your node.

Reactions: REBlane

REBlane

Mar 21, 2017
Lilburn Georgia
Problem Solved! Kinda dumb mistake, but I have never looked closely at the cable modem installed by the ISP. Turns out it was a router! I had my own router connected to it, so all my tinkering with port forwarding and static addresses was correct, but ineffective as the ISP's router was not changed. Once I realized this, I removed my router.
Thanks for your help on this!

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
@REBlane If you plug your node into your cable/modem and run your network through your router, you'll have isolated the two networks with an additional firewall, the added security you were asking about earlier.

REBlane

Mar 21, 2017
Lilburn Georgia
The Comcast router/modem (Cisco DPC3941T) was giving my wireless access point trouble which I did not have the time or the will to figure out, so i set the ISP router to bridge mode and reinstalled my router. Access Point has no issues, bitnode receives incoming, the sun is shining, and now I just have to deal with the two huge pine trees last night's storm took down.
I'll see if port 2 on the DPC3941T works, and if so, then I'll take your suggestion on isolating the node. Thanks!