Is the problem with larger blocks the fact that Satoshi opposes them?

mzdr0

Dec 21, 2015
But an added reason is that Satoshi is also very afraid of increasing the blocksize.
I don't buy it. Small blockists would have outed Satoshi by now, or Gavin and Mike would have been similarly persuaded and we wouldn't be having these discussions.

Matthew Light

Dec 25, 2015
I don't buy it. Small blockists would have outed Satoshi by now
Satoshi has in fact been outed online multiple times by various folks. Nobody in the Bitcoin Core cult is going to out Satoshi - they worship him.

Gavin and Mike would have been similarly persuaded and we wouldn't be having these discussions.
Why would they be persuaded by bad arguments just because Satoshi is more afraid of increasing the block size than they are?

GrizzlyBadger

Jan 13, 2016
Satoshi was openly in favour of bigger blocks. And your theory is that he changed his mind for unknown reasons, and is influencing Blockstream from the shadows? And of course, you don't have the slightest shred of evidence about it. Sigh...

mzdr0

Dec 21, 2015
Why would they be persuaded by bad arguments just because Satoshi is more afraid of increasing the block size than they are?
Gavin and Mike were very obviously followers of Satoshi. Look at the leaked emails from Mike to Satoshi post Satoshi's departure (and query why he bothered sending them if, as you say, he and the other devs knew who Satoshi was). I don't doubt, in your hypothetical scenario, that Gavin or Mike would debate the point with Satoshi, but I don't believe they would go so far as to fork the project against Satoshi's wishes.

Matthew Light

Dec 25, 2015
And your theory is that he changed his mind for unknown reasons, and is influencing Blockstream from the shadows?
He's not "in the shadows". He is doing lots of things in his own name (not the Satoshi pseudonym), not intimately associated with Blockstream, not focusing his entire life on Bitcoin either.
[doublepost=1452708656][/doublepost]
Gavin and Mike were very obviously followers of Satoshi. Look at the leaked emails from Mike to Satoshi post Satoshi's departure (and query why he bothered sending them if, as you say, he and the other devs knew who Satoshi was).
If he did know who Satoshi is, then he might have written these letters to be revealed as "open letters" at an appropriate point. Or perhaps Mike didn't know his identity.