Is my 2GB RAM VPS be able to support a full node when blocksize increased?

HelloGuy

Mar 16, 2016
I have a vps, which has 2GB RAM but 500GB HDD. I want to run a full node on it. If the maximum blocksize increased to 2MB, or even 8MB, whether my VPS still be able to support the network?

Cconvert2G36

Aug 31, 2015
Through various settings, you can make it as light or heavy as you want to these days. Min relay fees, blocks only, max connections. With 500GB you don't need to, but pruned nodes will become more popular too.

Cconvert2G36

Aug 31, 2015
Have a min relay fee to keep your mempool more modest for 8MB blocks and expanded adoption... but today, or at 2MB blocks... you probably wouldn't even need to change the defaults.

Reactions: theZerg

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
2GB RAM will be enough even if the block size is increased.
Like @Cconvert2G36 said, you can tune enough settings if you find yourself close to the memory limit.

HelloGuy

Mar 16, 2016
I think in the future, the bitcoin full nodes will have different targets. Some of the full nodes are mining nodes, which will have very fast CPU and large RAM, SSD and high bandwith; Other full nodes are just fine with store the full blockchain data, but they can accept some delay in the update of the blockchain data for like 10 to 15 seconds. So this kind of storage nodes, which has low RAM but large HDD disk, can act as full node for a very long time, at very low cost. There is no need to worry about increase the block size, hence increase the total block size data to 100GB level.