How to vote?

Jonathan Silverblood

Nov 21, 2018
I'm new to the voting system in a week or so the voting period starts. I have my key stored in a wallet on my phone (copay) and had to translate the address from cashaddr to legacy when I applied for membership.

What0 does the process of voting look like and what can I do to prepare before the voting period starts to avoid possible technical issues that might prevent me from successfully voting?

Reactions: freetrader

Griffith

Jun 5, 2017
the voting page is https://www.bitcoinunlimited.info/voting/
essentially you sign a message containing the vote string, your vote, and your name with the key you used when you applied for membership and then submit the signature to the website.

so when the new buips are added. click on the link on that page to vote and it will bring you to a new page to submit information for your vote. its pretty self explainitory at that point.

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
The key part is to copy the voting text which is built up as the voting options are filled in / selected, then sign in the wallet software using the text for input.
You can save effort by voting on several BUIPs at once.
Note that your name on the voting system is the same as you use for reddit (without any separator).

Bagatell

Aug 28, 2015
"You can save effort by voting on several BUIPs at once.""

not with Trezor, unfortunately. :(

Jonathan Silverblood

Nov 21, 2018
This sounds like an ideal usecase for CashID: https://gitlab.com/cashid/protocol-specification

Signing things isn't available in copay, but I've exported my wallet and re-imported it in a wallet that will soon have support for signing things. Thank you all for clarifying the procedure.

It's still a bit hazy, but I think I'll figure it out when the voting opens. If not, I'll ask for more help then.

Peter R

Aug 28, 2015
If your privatekey doesn't also control funds, I think it is reasonably safe to paste your key directly into the webform, thereby making signing trivial. @awemany wrote the webpage to calculate the signatures client side, so your key is never sent to the server.

imaginary_username

Aug 19, 2015
The easiest way to sign is probably imporing the wallet into Electron-cash, which along with its predecessor Electrum has been the light wallet of choice for message signing/verifying/encryption since forever.

Of course any bitcoin-qt client will also do (including BU), but those are full nodes, so it's up to you whether you want to run them on your signing computer.

Reactions: freetrader