Help... Son used credit card to buy bitcoin

Jordanslikemike

Sep 29, 2016
Hey Guys,

just looking at getting some help. My son has used my CC to purchase some bitcoin and the bank wont pay up because it was a family member! He is in Jail and has cut all ties from us but that doesn't help me being $8000 down. Any advice on where i would start to look for where he kept it? He is an addict and I have seen on the news etc that they can buy drugs with bitcoin? is this true and can anyone shed some light on how i might go about recouping my funds as legally I dont have a leg to stand on,

Kind Regards,

Jordan

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
What a grim situation. Very tragic.
Just going to take what you say at face-value and make some observations.

Computer necessary: either a phone, tablet, laptop or PC to access a web-wallet or account provider. Is such a device recently used and its location known / accessible...
CC company. Who received the $8k. Was that a known bitcoin company...
Any pieces of paper lying around with dozen or so code-words, an alphanumeric string starting 1..., or a longer alphanumeric beginning 5...
Anything resembling the examples here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/List_of_address_prefixes

Reactions: freetrader

Jordanslikemike

Sep 29, 2016
Thanks for your reply.
It was multiple transactions done over a 2 month period before i saw my statement! (considering im a low income earner you would think this would look strange to the bank but thats another story..)
It was done through LocalBitcoins.com i know that because of my statement but he has transferred it out of there to somewhere else etc etc. I dont really understand it like i asked where but apparently its untraceable. also just to clarify he is 27 years old and didn't live with me so nothing lying around etc

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
That is harder to fix, not like he was home, then lost access to his devices once arrested. Looks like it will need his co-operation to recover (though recovering the actual device used may help). It's equivalent to someone obtaining paper cash and hiding it in a tin somewhere in the countryside.

Reactions: freetrader

Jordanslikemike

Sep 29, 2016
do you know i have been on the phone for hours to so many people and that's the best explanation I have received, so thank you. The only info he has given police is that he has spent it all on Dream Market. Ive looked that up and it looks like something on the darkweb. I knew he was ordering drugs online he used to boast about it on his Facebook page. Sad state of affairs when its your own flesh and blood.

Megan2233

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Montreal, Canada
Hi, Jordan! How are you? I do hope you have already solved the issue, and you and your son are doing fine. I know this topic is old, but I'm new to the forum and I've just found it. So, sorry for disturbing this thread, but I want to share my experience. I can't tell what I would do with money. I guess, I would look for the access to the account that your son used. Speaking about addiction, here I know what it means. My brother was addicted to drugs. We found several men drug rehab facilities for him, and persuaded him to receive treatment at one of them. He has been clean for about 2 years, he does his best to start a new life and in order not to start using drugs again.

CryptoStar19

Jun 11, 2021
Talk to you bank, the fact that it was a family member doesn't make use of that card authorized. It's a different case if you had given your family member your card and authorized them to use it, but it doesn't like this was the case.