gmaxwell?

jl777

Feb 26, 2016
I have only recently had any interactions with him...

Is it normal that he posts in a way that seems to be, how shall I call it... a way that is a bit demeaning?

James

Reactions: sickpig

solex

Staff member
Aug 22, 2015
James.
Unfortunately, that is pretty much standard for everyone except perhaps his colleagues in BS.

YarkoL

Dec 18, 2015
Tuusula
yarkol.github.io
@jl777
They are not making it friendly for newcomers, that's for sure. Bitcoin is their own treehouse.

When I came into the scene, the only people who were generous with their knowledge were altcoin devs, and at that time they were branded collectively as the official enemies of the bitcoin elite.

Reactions: cypherdoc

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
In way a fee event (if that's what's happening right now in Bitcoin) could be looked at like a supernova - kicking out rare Elements and other riches into the cryptocurrency universe, giving birth to new stars and perhaps rejuvenating many worlds.

And it can leave behind all sorts of interesting objects where the former star shone bright.

Further mulling (thanks, Bad Astronomer):
In that sense, studying exploding stars is just another way of studying ourselves. We are literally a part of the Universe, and the Universe is in us. It’s funny to think that looking outward helps us see inward, but astronomy is full of delightful ironies like that.
From: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/01/13/sbw1_a_star_on_the_verge_of_supernova.html

Last edited:

QuestionAuthority

Mar 14, 2016
I wouldn't read too much into it. I've been talking to him off and on for four years on IRC and he's pretty much an arrogant prick to everyone and that's if he likes you. If he doesn't like you you're banned from IRC. lol

Georg Engelmann

Sep 10, 2015
Austria
bitcoincashstandards.org
I want Bitcoin to be open and transparent with a global community. Gregory Maxwell and Blockstream could support Bitcoin, but they are afraid to take responsibility. The Blockstream agenda is fearful and their outlook for Bitcoin is pessimistic. Gavin's outlook for Bitcoin seems to be more optimistic.

Maybe Gregory knows a few things about coding, but why is he working on something he doesn't believe in?

cypherdoc

Aug 26, 2015
@chmod755

he already made his choice. when push came to shove, he chose Blockstream over Bitcoin by giving up his github rights.

jl777

Feb 26, 2016
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1398994.msg14211197#msg14211197

maybe he will explain how a hardfork pretending to be a softfork that prevents a hardfork is intelligent. I cant figure out how segwit is anything but a LOT of extra work to just waste blockchain space permanently, but it breaks all existing wallets until they make substantial changes

isnt that like "tastes horrible, but is very high in calories and cholesterol"

adamstgbit

Mar 13, 2016
wow it's mindblowing digging deeper and finding so much more evidence that core is acting in the best interest of blockstream and not bitcoin as a whole.

I mean just a few days ago i could dismissed the "blockstream conspiracy" as paranoia or an exaggeration of the truth. but it's becoming more clear, the conflict of interest is definitely leading core down the wrong path.

Last edited:

jl777

Feb 26, 2016
it turns out it isnt quite so horrible, just really bad. I think it only wastes 50 bytes per tx or so and users will just have to make sure the other side is running the segwit or not and make sure to send segwits to segwit addresses and normal tx to normal addresses. though I have no idea if it is possible for someone to get an unspendable payment, maybe the "backward compatibility" is that the segwit version completely ignore the installed base.

it is a "bifurcating softfork"
sounds like some sort of painful medical condition...

Cconvert2G36

Aug 31, 2015
Gregory once told me that going to 2MB was impossible because it opened the network to the possibility of blocks that would take 10 min to validate. That really opened my eyes to the disingenuous communication methods he uses. He knew full well there was a way to mitigate that, and that pure competitive mining would negate it, but decided that treating someone like an idiot and dismissing them was the best way.

His communication and technical "impartiality" hasn't improved since... I really believe that he is the glue and the gasoline that has held Blockstream's intransigence together and propelled it this far down the rabbit hole of "we were right all along". Bitcoin is broken in their eyes, and they need to fix it, the possibility of getting filthy rich in the process is just icing on the cake.

jl777

Feb 26, 2016
I will keep pointing out the obvious technical fallacies on bitcointalk as I find them. Until I hear actual technical explanation that makes sense, I will call it idiotic if that is what it is.

gmax is clearly a smart guy, but he seems to use that as cover to bluff across a totally stupid proposal and bully anybody that doesnt agree. However, I have found when I drill down far enough and ask if he is really saying the equivalent of 1+1 = 3, he does seem to admit that 1+1 = 2

jl777

Feb 26, 2016
"In the mean time: Shame on you, and shame on you for having no shame."

It seems I need to be ashamed