Giving miners tools to actively attack core when BU has >50% HashPower

JAFO

Jan 29, 2017
The Great Southern Land
Or the nuclear option...

If BU reaches more then 50% of the mining capacity (& prior to any HF increase of the blocksize) there is the potential to use this fact to push other miners into supporting BU.

At that time BU miners could start to orphan Segwit/Core blocks by actively not building on the last block if it was mined with Segwit support. This could cause financial pain to either miner but with hash power on BU's side the pain would be mostly to the Segwit/Core miner.

Has anyone looked at building code or a BUIP into BU to support something as aggressive as this?

AdrianX

Aug 28, 2015
bitco.in
Orphaning blocks is risky for miners, if you have 50% of the hash you have a 50% chance of failing.

Even with 70% of the total hash you have a 30% chance of being unsuccessful, that's a huge risk.

If you can provide a credible motive to explain why if miners have 99.9% change of $15,000 reward every 20 minutes would risk lowering that to 50% change to give the illusion that they have more support than you do?

I don't think there is a motive for such BUIP at this time, maybe when a date has been set to remove the limit this strategy could be considered.

JAFO

Jan 29, 2017
The Great Southern Land
Yes, I understand the risks to the miners.

There are certain members of the Chinese mining community that have said they have significant amounts of money to throw at 'killing off' any minor chain. If they have money to burn this is one way that they could do it. I recognise that they may loose money doing it, but that may be a price they are willing to pay to kill off the minor chain.

I do not think this feature should be enabled in BU by default, but having an option for miners to enable it if they so desired may be useful.

One needs to prepare for war, code takes time to write, I am just looking at getting that in place.