Getting started with alternative policy clients

jbreher

Dec 31, 2015
So I've been unhappy with Core, and verbally supportive of BU and Classic. I suppose it's time I am supportive in deed as well. Walk the walk, as it were.

Yet I have a handful of questions....

These alternative clients (BU and Classic are both under consideration) are based off Core, right?

Are these able to employ the same database data? Like, if I terminate Core, and point (e.g.) BU at the same directory, will it use the same data, or will it want to redownload it all? Then what if I want to switch back? Just stop one, and start the other? Stretch question - what about running them both at the same time on the same data? (Had to ask)

Can I run these alternative clients across TOR in the same manner as Core?

Do they employ similar/identical .conf files?

Can I run Armory atop Classic or BU the same way I run Armory atop Core?

I know - so many questions...

Peter Tschipper

Jan 8, 2016
Yes to all your questions, except i don't know about running armory. Also, no you can not run two nodes off the same blockchain but you can run BU or Classic on top of a blockchain created under Core.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
About Armory, it should work on top of alternative client daemons as well since none of them have, as far as I know, neither XT, Classic nor BU have made backward incompatible changes to the protocol which is used between Armory and whichever bitcoin daemon happens to be running.

It might be a good question to submit to the Armory dev, though, just to be sure.