Crypto Gold Standart Transition

VeritasSapere

Nov 16, 2015
Today Bitcoin functions like a gold standard for the wider cryptocurrency economy, since it is used as the primary trading pair for most cryptocurrencies. If bitcoin does become obsoleted and overtaken then the transition period could be very disruptive to the larger cryptocurrency economy, since the prices are linked through these trading pairs.

I would like to know more about how a transition from BTC to ETC would, could and should happen, for example. Being invested in the alternative cryptocurrencies as a hedge against Bitcoin you would not want to see those cryptocurrency lose value in an equal amount to Bitcoin if there is an abrupt crash in the price.

If the price shift is slower then this transition could be much smoother since multiple trading pairs do exists, including the ability to trade fiat directly for alternative cryptocurrencies which could help maintain the value of these alternative cryptocurrencies during such a crisis, allowing more trading pairs between different cryptocurrencies to develop.

I am very curious to see what people here think. I am sure that there are many people here that will have unique insights in the dynamics and possible realities of such a transition.

Last edited: