(closed) BUIP007: Lee Adams (redditchampsys) for president

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Adams

Dec 23, 2015
About me: I'm passionate about User Experience and Agile development. I got into bitcoin during the Apr 2013 price spike, because I was fed up with cash and wanted an alternative. The price rise was serendipitous as I had started to transfer funds [to mtGox!!] before the price really took off. I never really made any money, because I invested too much during the spike to 1000+. I am a developer (mainly in C#) and am also a Certified Scrum Master(c).

Why I'm running
: I am floored that such a decentralised idea has become so utterly centralised in its thought leadership. I am dismayed, but not surprised, that there is such division in the community and wish to do my best to mend it. I know that cryptocurrencies will become the next internet/web (in terms of mass-adoptance).

My side on the block size limit: I do not really have one. I genuinely can see both sides of the argument. As a hodler I feel betrayed, because a block size limit was not what I signed up for (I didn't read the small print, just the FAQ). As a software engineer I can see an enormous risk in a purposeful hard fork (the only other real one in bitcoin's history being accidental). As an economist/investor I can see... absolutely nothing until it has been tested by the market.

Basically I believe that either bitcoin will survive this block limit debate or another cryptocurrency will replace it as the network effect leader.

What I would be focussed on as president: I would try to be neutral in all things. I think my reddit profile suggests, that I detest censorship of ideas, but I am not committed to any particular side (which is what I really like about BU). I believe that any organisation MUST be run by its members and that members MUST have the final say in any decision. I understand that any member has every right to be anonymous, but that the organisation must (small caps) protect itself against electoral fraud. This is a VERY difficult balance. My ideas on how to do this can be expressed by the constitution I put together for a failed non-profit bitcoin organisation in the UK. I would put together a membership committee (with public meetings) or open forum that vetted membership, to which any decision could be appealed to a majority vote of the existing membership.

Finally I understand that the President has virtually no powers whatsoever, no remuneration and very little station. It would also require a lot of time and effort. You would have to be mad to apply.

--
Lee Adams
1ruQ2wceuMt83aXQsERyWGxQawHqXERSd

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
> Finally I understand that the President has virtually no powers whatsoever, no remuneration and very little station. It would also require a lot of time and effort. You would have to be mad to apply.

The president does have authority in that he holds certain resources. And he constructs the operational BUIPs, which recommends how money is spent. So if BU ever gets a lot of money, he will have quite a bit of influence.

However, in my mind the president is very much like the president/CEO of other companies -- essentially an outreach, sales, and strategic alliance position. Its a platform to help the right person project the Bitcoin Unlimited vision out to the rest of the world.

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Voting is closed. This BUIP did not pass. Lee, you are not as well known to many of us on the GCBU thread (I think), although you seem to have been very active on reddit. I hope that you continue to share your insights on these forums, and help out with Bitcoin Unlimited!

Status
Not open for further replies.