BUIP020: Implement bit-0 soft-forks (BIPs 9,68,112,113)

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
BUIP020: Implement bit-0 soft-forks (BIPs 9,68,112,113)
Proposer: freetrader
Submitted on: 09 June 2016

Summary

BIPs 68, 112 and 113 are currently being deployed through a soft-fork on version bit 0 [1].
The trajectory of support [2] indicates a likelihood that these BIPs will soon be activated by miners (i.e. reach 95% support).

Once this happens, miners who do not support these BIPs will find their blocks orphaned.

In the interests of Bitcoin Unlimited remaining compatible with Bitcoin Core miners, it is proposed to implement the deployment of these BIPs in the same manner as Core.

Design

The Core BIPs 9, 68, 112 and 113 should be sufficient as a specification of the BU implementation.
A new design is probably not needed as the Core implementation could be merged.
Nevertheless, a review of Core's design of their BIP implementations is probably advisable.

Backward Compatibility

Until activation of this soft-fork, the client would be compatible with previous versions.

Deployment

This should be identical to the soft fork deployment used by Core (i.e. use a conforming implementation of BIP9).

Copyright

This document is placed in the public domain.

[1] https://bitcoin.org/en/release/v0.12.1#first-version-bits-bip9-softfork-deployment
[2] http://bitcoin.sipa.be/ver9-2k.png

Last edited:

theZerg

Staff member
Aug 28, 2015
Note that the default is to accept all core features every time I rebase. So unless a BUIP is passed rejects a feature we'll end up getting it. So @freetrader, you might consider retracting this BUIP, or at the minimum we should let people vote yes/no/don't care. If "don't care's" or "yes" wins then I just rebase as normal.

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
@theZerg: thanks for the feedback, the rebase policy had slipped my mind and I wasn't aware there was a rebase to 0.12.1 planned / going on.

My view is: I don't see why everyone should be subjected to the vote process if there isn't anyone against the merger of these features. So I want to give folks some time to voice any opposition.

If no member opposes this BUIP within 1 week, I will retract it to expedite a merge.

Last edited:

freetrader

Staff member
Dec 16, 2015
I'm a bit overdue in posting this, but since there's been no-one who's opposed this BUIP, I formally withdraw it (since the soft-fork features in question are supposed to be included in the next version rebased on top of Core).

sickpig

Aug 28, 2015
@solex could you mark this BUIP as withdrawn on the BUIPs index. It is currently marked as "draft"